Denon AV 1801

Options
wodom1
wodom1 Posts: 1,054
edited June 2003 in Electronics
I just bought this receiver off of Ebay for $200. I wanted to get some opinions on it and see if I made a good decision. This is my first receiver and I don't know too much about them. I've learned alot from reading posts from everyone else here but would like some input from anyone who has one. Right now it's just going to be used to drive some old Sony speakers from my years at LSU for a stereo set up but in time I plan on slowly getting an entire Polk system. I'm trying to save up money to move to Chicago in a few months so I can't afford to spend several hundred dollars on speakers. Thanks for any comments.
-Josh
"I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
Polk Audio LSiC
Polk Audio FXi30
Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
Sony Playstation 3
Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
Rotel 985 MK II
Rotel 1072 CDP
Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
Post edited by wodom1 on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited May 2003
    Options
    for 2 bills....nice way to get started.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Josh,

I have that receiver, it's pretty basic but works and sounds just fine to me.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I have an 1801 in the kids downstairs recroom. It gets the job done very nicely and is easy enough for them to operate. For the $$ you can't go wrong. It's a very good unit that should bring you listening pleasure for years to come.
  • wodom1
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. I know that I'll have more questions in the future, especially once I start building more of a system. Thanks,
    -Josh
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • wodom1
    edited June 2003
    Options
    If you guys had a choice, would you choose the RT800i or the RTi70? I've found an auction that I'm winning for the RT800i for $122 which ends in a few hours, but I also found an auction for the RTi70 that is currently for $70 and ends tomorrow. Any opinions? Thanks,
    -Josh :D

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Buy them both!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited June 2003
    Options
    70's hands down :)
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Options
    RT800i vs. RTi70: The sonic differences in the tweets are "subtle" according to Polk. Two more similar speaks you can't find.

Buy whatever you think you will be able to timbre match with the most easily for center and surrounds.

That would lead me to the 70's if I was just starting a system.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • wodom1
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Well, how about RT800i's for $338? Now that I'm digging my credit card grave I'm done with spending for a while. My girlfriend will kill me if she knows that I'm spending the money I'm supposed to be saving to move on speakers. The Rti70 auction ends tomorrow. Here is the link to the RTi70's. They had a little bit of damage on them but only cosmetic from what the description says.
    -Josh

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Totally agree,
    buy em both.For that kind of money what the hell.If you decide on selling onbe of them,you'll get all your money back.There nice speakers.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2003
    Options
    The description says" 1 Polk Audio RTi70 3 Way Floor standing speaker only

and the one you won says"1 Polk Audio RT800i floor standing speaker, 4 carpet stands only

so did you win one or two speakers?? and the seller doesn't have the best feedback and the shipping may be sticker shock coming from canada.. Not to rain on a newbies first purchases.. just a few notes,
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • wodom1
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Faster100, thanks for catching that. I feel like an idiot for not being more diligent about reading the description. I thought it was for a pair. The seller seems very cool. I purchased a DVD tower from them last week and everything went smoothly. I emailed them about cancelling the transaction and am waiting to hear back. If anyone hears about a cheap pair of good Polk tower speaks, let me know! Thanks again,
    -Josh

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP