RT 1000i Question

Options
tomp
tomp Posts: 9
edited May 2002 in Speakers
Hi, am new to home theater and although I have been following threads for awhile I have been hesitant to post replies or start a thread but I figure you gotta start sometime. My question is this- I have Rt 1000i's for my front mains, along with 2 external subwoofers, is there any reason to use the subwoofers in the speakers? It seems to me the the two big subs would cancel out the speaker subs. But by unplugging the speakers amps would I lose anything? Also, I have thought of using the 1000's a rea surround for potential bass benefits. Any thought there would be appreciated. I ask this question because my untrained ear is uncertain, more often than not. I would appreciate feedback. Hope I made myself clear. Thanks
Post edited by tomp on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    Options
    The short answer is no, the subs can work just fine for you. Experiment with placement and set up until it sounds best to you.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • tomp
    edited May 2002
    Options
    TroyD, thanks for the response but I am unclear as to which of the questions I should apply the "no" to.
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    ....errr..... what I meant is that the the external subs WILL work fine with your system. Sorry about that.

You can hook them up about anyway that you like....

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Uhhh, say again Gomer?

What about his beefy 6.5's built into the 1000's...how will they react/blend with his '2 external subs'?

Can he use them for rears, and benefit from the subs 'back there'?

Cheers,
    Sgt. Carter
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    well shoot....how do you WANT to hook them up?

You could do a line level connection, one sub on each channel. You could use one sub in front, one in the rear....hell the possibilites are endless.....

I was just mentioning that even though the 1000i's do sport those powered 6.5's with the monster 35watt amp....they don't preclude the use of subs.....

Me personally, I'd put 'em in the garage rig...

Chief WFR (trying to dodge the bus)
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Hey, I'm not pushin' ya out in the street, just wanted to see ole tomp get the answer he was looking for...

We all know you have music in your sole.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • tomp
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Damn, TroyD your garage rig is my apartment rig....and it's all that I have and will have for a while. So, I can see that I am having troubles getting any clarity here. Which means that I probably didn't ask clear specific questions (trying to keep it on my side of the street). Thanks for your efforts.
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    tomp,

I'm cracking wise about the RT1000i's...sorry about that.....I'm not bashing your rig, honestly, nor was I making light of your questions....I'm just not a huge fan of powered towers.

All I am trying to convey is that yes, the subs are still useful and that you can hook them up anyway that you like. One sub with the L and R front channels is probably the way I would do it.....You could use the 1000's as rears if you like but that would be overkill, IMO

Specifically, what else would you like to know?

Troy
  • tomp
    edited May 2002
    Options
    TroyD,
    I was taken aback by your comment. There was a time when keeping up with the "Joneses" meant keeping up with your neighbors next door or down the block. I sometimes find myself trying to keep up with others on a national/international scale spurred on by the media and forums like this. So, having said that I have to remind myself that although I obviously can't keep up with you in the Home Theater arena, I do have a setup that my neighbors think is quite incredible. Is that enough? Sometimes. In the end, though, I have to remind myself that a man is truly rich when his wants are few. Hard to do sometimes, keeping those wants few. Would I want other and better speakers? You betcha, someday's, yes. Can I afford them? Well, that's not what credit cards are for (to me) so I guess not, and for now I will have to find a way to enjoy the 1000's which I bought on sale when I knew even less than I do now.

If I had to do it over knowing what I know now I would not buy power towers as they don't make sense in my application as it stands today.

Thanks for your last response and I hope you have a great day.
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    whoa....man.....I must be missing something. Obviously, I apologize profusely if I have offended you, wasn't the intent, honestly......

Actually, and I make no claims otherwise, my HT rig is modest at best by the standards of others around here nor do I claim to have all the answers.....Without knowing your particualr setup etc. etc. and having little experience with dual sub setups I can't comment on exactly HOW I would set your rig up. I'm just saying that it can be done. OK?

As far as the RT1000i's go, I'm not knocking your gear, if you like them and they sound good. COOL! I just don't like the premise of the powered tower. For the record, I don't have a speaker in the house (or office) that I paid near what a pair of 1000's go for. So I wasn't wisecracking about that......

Hand extended in sincere apology,

Troy
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Shame on you Troy!!

No soup for you!!!

-R
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    you can always count on Russ to help you balance yourself while you got your foot shoved in your piehole up to the ankle.....

BDT
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Tomp,

I compared the RT1000i's to the RT800i's and I chose to purchase the RT800i's. The extra driver in the midrange is better than the extra driver on the low end. This would have probably been a wiser choice considering the fact that you have TWO subs.

Now, concerning your predicament about where to put your two subs. Hmmm. This is what I would do.
    I would connect one sub to the center channel. This will really help in home theatre effects. The other sub should be placed in the back of the room and should supplement the low end of your surrounds. This way, you'll have sub-type bass all the way around the room. If your sub permits, you might also want to combine the center channel bass with the LFE effects from your receiver. HAVE FUN & ENJOY ! ! !
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited May 2002
    Options
    After reading this thread, I think TroyD is a trouble maker?:D He should banished and sent to the 2 channel forum!:lol:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I'm keeping my mouth shut....sometimes my brain goes on vacation and leaves my mouth in charge...

BDT
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    Options
    i got sucked into the power tower to, wend frist puting togeter a home theater, it was the rt-20p after about 6 mos. they just didnt sound good for the mains, why i got them is for the subs. i had rt-7 for the surounds, so i changed the rt-7 to the mains, and the rt-20p to the surounds it made it a lot better on sound quaitity.

tomp, if you have bookshelf speakers try to use them as main on top of your subs with stands that way you have subs up front and subs in the rear. thats what i do i use the rt-7 on top of 2 psw-650s with pedestals for the main . try it and hear the improvement
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Tomp,
    powered towers are not for the unexperienced.They are extremly hard to get sounding good.I own the rt1000's as well.It took me 3 years of changing this and that moving them hear and there to get them to go,now I'm tired of them as i am with my whole setup.
    But I can give you some tips that would benifit your system.The rt1000i's, lets start there first.set your receiver to large fronts,and only run speaker wire to the mains,use the jumpers,Bi wire them, make your own jumpers,its your call, but don't run line level.A good starting place with the rt1000i's is about 9 oclock on the sub level.Sit and listen to music you know very well, forget about home theater for now.Make sure you don't place them in corner's or to close to the back wall.Keep them away as much as possible.If you have carpet, use the floor spikes, if you have hard wood floors, you need to get cups for the floor spikes, don't put those stupid rubber feet on the bottom, this will rob your speakers of connection to the floor.Level the speaker from side to side and front to back,I have more advanced speaker set up technic's but for now lets get them singing then we can tweak them some more.Once you set up the sub level to your liking, remember you want them to sound like a natural sounding speaker, don't make them boom, this is why most people hate powered tower's, set up wrong and you have a disaster on your hands.If you sit in the middle of your speakers for left and right being equal, you need to take a measurment at this time.You should sit at least as far back as they are apart.Meaning if they are 8 feet apart you should sit 8 feet back,I perfer to add 1 foot in for slightly more depth.Now toe in the speaker to where you sit.As your sitting down, look at the speaker,you should just about only see the front of the speaker,not the sides at all, some is ok on the inside but not on the outside of the speaker.This will give you incredable imaging, the rt1000i's have awesome imaging,better then most speakers in the thousand dollar range.
    If I'm over loading you,I will post post after you try this.I can continue later, for now I think this will help you greatly.
    As far as 2 external sub's,No,NO,No...this is bad...this makes it even harder to set up.Use one,and then if now enought,you can add the other one,if they are the same we will take about stacking them on top of each other.Use the LFE out of your receiver/preamp.If the crossover is adjustable in the pream/receiver, start at 80 hz, then we can tailor it later.
    I need you entire system,room size, placement to help further with the theater, put as far as the mains, with some tuning you can get them sounding great.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    tomp.....man, have some faith in your own ears. I think this is the biggest obstacle folks need to overcome is that they don't trust what they hear. If you like it, go with it regardless of what anyone else thinks or says. Mantis makes good points but I think tha the 2 sub thing CAN work in a myriad of ways. There is no ONE set way to do it. Mess around with it......

Troy
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Troyd,
    I agree with you(for once;) ), but I just think you should walk before you run, taking it one step at a time really makes a big difference.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tomp
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Hey Everybody. Thank You. I will try the suggestions Mantis and Joe Logstan made and Troyd, you are right about learning to trust my ears and my judgment. I'll try this stuff over the weekend and I hope you all have a good safe Memorial Day weekend.