OK, speaking of test tracks -- if you could pick only ONE LP track to evaluate a phono preamp...

Options
which one would you pick?

This isn't a rhetorical device; I have a sacred duty pending to evaluate a bunch of phono preamps (including, ahem, @mrbiron's :p ). Nothin' in it for me but the glory. :)

It seems to me that the "best" thing to do is to play a specific album track on each candidate and rip (as the kids would say) the result so that easy comparison of the sound (albeit plus any artifacts associated with ADC and then DAC to listen to the digitized results) after the fact, and in perpetuity.

I did this, on a small scale, a few years ago (ahem, yes with a couple of @mrbiron's preamps!), using Dave Brubeck's Take Five. That was OK, but it's a little long and I got tired of hearing it over and over again!

So...

I am looking for suggestions of one track.
  • Well recorded, mastered & pressed.
  • Excellent music :)
  • Not too long
  • Reasonably dynamic (and, ideally, fairly interesting)

I figured that I'd do better to ask some folks for suggestions than to leave it to my own devices!

Thanks for your attention & consideration!

25277999734_db5e0833e2_b.jpgDSC_2913 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I wish you the best Mark. Anytime I try to evaluate audio equipment using the same track, repeatedly, it eventually becomes fatiguing. Hopefully someone will chime in with a track that’s new to you and fits the bill.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Options
    One of my favorites is the track Free on Stan Kenton Plays Chicago. Absolutely wonderful sounding track, IMHO. There are many really nice recordings on that LP/CD.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    I would recommend any record that is part of the Opus 3 test record series. They are recordings that have a "what you should hear" explanation and can clearly show what's happening (or not happening) in an audio system.
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    I Robot by The Alan Parsons Project "I wouldn't want to be like you". But any track off that album will be suffice IMO.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    Orff.
    Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi: O Fortuna.

Specifically this pressing

atx2fkt9soq1.png
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    A day in the life... Or something from the Moody Blues.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited May 2018
    Options
    "Ride Across the River", by Dire Straits.
    https://youtu.be/rSZzyGXCTQk
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    edited May 2018
    Options
    n/a
    I disabled signatures.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Take Five
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    My "go to" track for many of my audio decisions is "Hotel California" from the "Hell Freezes Over" album.
    Acoustic guitars challenge the mid-range while the Conga pair reveals the low end.
    "Great Gig in the Sky" from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is a keeper as well.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, folks!

Feel free to add more if the spirit moves you.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    1st track off Crime of the Century from the 1/2 speed mastered record. It may be a bit too long though.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Anything by Mark Knopfler.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Or Steve Wilson from Porcupine Tree.

I've read he's a detail oriented writer, producer, and composer. The people in the business say he's a musical genius. :p

Just like Mark Knopfler. ;)B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    A short great system resolution test is in Pink Floyd / The Wall; The simultaneous kick drum/choked snare at the beginning of The Happiest Days Of Our Lives.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited May 2018
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    A short great system resolution test is in Pink Floyd / The Wall; The simultaneous kick drum/choked snare at the beginning of The Happiest Days Of Our Lives.

When he/we got done with the soldering of my modded DAC, Rich played this one note through it, pronounced it good, and sent me home.

:wink:
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited May 2018
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »

When he/we got done with the soldering of my modded DAC, Rich played this one note through it, pronounced it good, and sent me home.

:wink:

Good times! B)

A demo track from an LP I like to use is from Talk Talk, Colour of Spring, Happiness Is Easy. IIRC it has a 16dB dynamic range. There are four real live percussionists, a closely mic'd bass fiddle, Hollis and his nasally vocals, a children's choir and Steve Winwood on the organ. You can also cue out once the bass fiddle kicks in. Sounds seems to be thrown out until they build and layer it. It is a great transitional album from them.

Other than that, look to classical for a higher dynamic range.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    ANY MFSL track mastered by Stan Ricker...
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Porcupine Tree - Blackest Eyes is a recent fave.

But I love some Knopfler - Making Movies
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    h3a633z4gc7p.jpeg

I have the original 1982 Album, and sounds realllly good, the whole album is very dynamic as well.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Linda Ronstadt's Por Un Amor from the Canciones De Mi Padre Album is a good reference track for me. Lots going on and recorded very well. Will link the live version but the Vinyl pressing is superb.

https://youtu.be/rJfXiOrK7t4

Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    h3a633z4gc7p.jpeg

I have the original 1982 Album, and sounds realllly good, the whole album is very dynamic as well.

I just picked up a copy - finally - about a month ago (believe it or not!).
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    I picked up this copy from George Grand a couple years ago, also good SQ edition. I really also like his last two LPs on vinyl.

ek0hdk754qw4.jpeg
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 478
    Options
    Test deep bass performance I would recommend Solar Sailer from Tron Legacy soundtrack.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte | Roku TV
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | Fire TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Wait....I have a phone preamp?!

:D
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Wait....I have a phone preamp?!

:D

ohno, phone, a phono preamp, champ?
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Auto correct....maybe.... ;)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Auto correct....maybe.... ;)

I like your thinking, but we don't have spellcheck on the Heathkit here, you know? ;)

15947088165_bd40b4f045_b.jpgHeathkit analog computer by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • mrbiron
    Options
    No....no, I don't know. :|

Like always, I'm just glad to see you are actually using it. The Mrs. And I are meeting with a builder this week which means even less time on my hands.

Make sure you don't feed it junk food after 8, leave a night light on, and it's always wanted to go to Disney. You can be it's father now :(