Part time job paycut - just want to vent

Options

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    edited April 2018
    Options
    The man has a point.

I felt some honorable trumpets blaring in the background when I was reading your post, Halen
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    To add. The new management. They have tendencies to come in, clean house, and bring in their own people. Happens all the time. Let them think assets are liabilities. Most of the pretenders fail, the good ones will have a scapegoat.

Joey. You could gracefully leave that place. Sometimes, it is not always about the money.

Cheers!
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    And my wife says I get to keep the French

Phew
    Clearly, she's a keeper.

Like I said, it stings...to the wallet AND the ego, but you took an oath. If I had to guess, the 'new management' is the newest rat on a sinking ship, so good riddance. In the grand scheme of things, that $5,000 difference for 3.5 shifts of work is an infinitesimal percentage of your career earnings. Heck, you might even make up for it with the new tax rates on 'middle class' earning households :D
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Don't know about the rest of you, but 5k is 2.5 months of bills for me and nothing to sneeze at. It would pay my mortgage 4 times.

That's a big deal.
  • Joey_V
    edited April 2018
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Don't know about the rest of you, but 5k is 2.5 months of bills for me and nothing to sneeze at. It would pay my mortgage 4 times.

That's a big deal.

If I walked, it’s a hit for sure.

But Halen has a point, it’s what you’re worth.

I get 2 different answers when I ask my friends via text.

1. Screw them, walk out. Says the millionaires.
    2. Work it. Says everyone else.

I don’t know what kind of docs they’ll bring into this place for that rate. After my shifts are over, they’re on their own.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • jdjohn
    Options

I don’t know what kind of docs they’ll bring into this place for that rate. After my shifts are over, they’re on their own.
    Easy to say for the millionaires who have already made their jack. What would your kids say? "But Daddy, what about all those sick people?"

Work your shifts, help treat some folks, move on. Oh, and enjoy your Frenchies! B)

Jewels in your crown, my friend!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • halen
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »

Easy to say for the millionaires who have already made their jack. What would your kids say? "But Daddy, what about all those sick people?"

Work your shifts, help treat some folks, move on. Oh, and enjoy your Frenchies! B)

Jewels in your crown, my friend!

You have a good point. But. One person could not help all of human kind in sickness..

Cheers
  • Joey_V
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I don't advocate walking out. I advocate you honoring your contract and forcing them to honor it as well.

It’s not a walk out, if they say they have a warm body to fill it, they’re pushing you out.

But I get your point and I think that’s what I’ll do. Work it and then see what avenues I have afterwards.

I’m not in a position to say no to a certain level of reimbursement yet. It’s unfortunate but true.
  • halen
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I don't advocate walking out. I advocate you honoring your contract and forcing them to honor it as well.

First. They did not honor the contract.
    Second. Units of work have been performed that honors the contract.
    Third. Pulling the Doctor to a side and dictating what the new terms are...... at a rate to test or not. If said doctor accepts.
    Fourth. Fight. Yes do fight. Let’s say you win. Will you ever respect where you work again? Not me.
    Lastly. I am confident in what track record and all I have done.

Self principle. I live it, teach it and hopefully children learn it. No one is entitled you must earn it as they mine.

Cheers
  • jdjohn
    Options
    It’s not a walk out, if they say they have a warm body to fill it, they’re pushing you out.

But I get your point and I think that’s what I’ll do. Work it and then see what avenues I have afterwards.

I’m not in a position to say no to a certain level of reimbursement yet. It’s unfortunate but true.
    Med school is not cheap. Btw, are you McSteamy, or McDreamy?
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    Options
    If the new company is blatantly violating a term of your current contract, chances are they already have a legal opinion justifying their actions. But it never hurts to get an opinion as to what the law is in your area.

Just don't spend a lot of time on it--getting this ordeal behind you, getting on with your career, and not taking a lot of time away from your primary job (where I'm sure you could rack up $5k in lost income rather quickly) should be your primary focus.
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • Joey_V
    Options

Hilarious. McAsian.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Well he does have a nice "rig"...
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I can teach you how to change light bulbs, Joey. What say you?
  • Joey_V
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

:o
  • lightman1
    Options
    I work by myself. Haven't spoken to my "boss" in over nine months. Free room and board. A fancy $128k truck to drive around......

And the chicks dig me....
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Not just chicks...

tenor.gif

• Joey_V
    Options
    I work by myself. Haven't spoken to my "boss" in over nine months. Free room and board. A fancy $128k truck to drive around......

Are you sure about that last part?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I like the advise I’ve gotten so far

I spoke to my parents, they said to work it and leave on good terms and don’t burn bridges.

Good advice....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

I spoke to my parents, they said to work it and leave on good terms and don’t burn bridges.

Good advice....

Tony...

I have a job for you...
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »

Hilarious. McAsian.

I was thinkin Shorty McShortShorts. :)

Beat me to it bastages... Was thinking along the lines of Mr Badshorts
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    :o

Be glad he didn't offer to teach you how to screw in a light bulb!
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,277
    Options
    You know, Walmart is always looking for overnight shelf stockers.
    Sal Palooza
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options

giphy.gif
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,878
    Options

I was going to say the same. Be the bigger man, that I know you can be. It's about self. You'll feel better knowing no matter what you showed up and did what you had to do.
  • lightman1
    Options

giphy.gif

Better than coffee, Dan. ;)
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    I was going to say the same. Be the bigger man, that I know you can be. It's about self. You'll feel better knowing no matter what you showed up and did what you had to do.

I would agree. Abide by the agreement you made even though they have decided to try and change the rules.

But it might be a good idea to have a quick discussion with an attorney to understand if this agreement can be changed without both parties agreeing. If that is not the case, work the hours and then demand full payment. If they decide not to follow through with the agreement have the attorney move forward with action/suit.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I woke up today more annoyed than I expected which is weird.

I finally figured a number, had they cut another $5000 then for sure I would’ve told them to staff it themselves and if they can’t then call me back at full pay.

I guess everyone has a number.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Have you re-read your contract? Regardless of whether they are or aren't, do you think they are violating it? If so, have you brought up the fact with new management that the pay cut is in violation of your contract? What did they say? I agree that it's worth having a lawyer review your contract to see if what they are doing is in breach. I don't think sticking up for yourself is burning bridges.
This discussion has been closed.