SDA 1B Resistance Check- Interpreting the Results: HELP.

Options
Hey all, I'm Ryan.

Im very excited about my new SDA 1B's. These represent my first decent speakers as a longtime (aspiring) audiophile. After bringing them home I read through The SDA Handbook (found on this forum) and decided I would carry out a resistance check as per section 4.9 (3).

This was the only test I was able to carryout since I do not have an adequately powered common ground amp with which to power them. (looking at a combo Parasound A21 amp and P5 preamp but that's another discussion).

The results for the Right channel were nominal. The left channel produced two results that deviated from the nominal values. (PHOTO INCLUDED)

IC PIN#2 to BLACK= lower resistance than desired AND
IC PIN#2 to RED = some measurable resistance detected when none is desired.

There are a tonne of people on this forum with a lot more knowledge than me and I am appealing to your good graces. What do these results indicate? Are there caps in need of replacement and if so which ones? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

babw8f4b8cdj.jpg
absgci1wgeiy.jpg
x0d4t7qh76kv.jpg

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    take the speakers and passive's out get in there and look around. on the blade/ blade speakers the wire on the big blade in one is on the small blade on the other.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    The two speakers should measure pretty much exactly as the wiring check points should indicate. For the left speaker a resistance measurement between interconnect pin 2 and the red terminal is just a piece of connecting wire, so near 0 ohms should appear. Pin 2 and the black terminal is really a measurement of the drivers and some coils. The fact that one measurement is 0.4 ohms too little and the other is 0.4 ohms too much is no coincidence.
  • ghosthost
    Options
    The two speakers should measure pretty much exactly as the wiring check points should indicate. For the left speaker a resistance measurement between interconnect pin 2 and the red terminal is just a piece of connecting wire, so near 0 ohms should appear. Pin 2 and the black terminal is really a measurement of the drivers and some coils. The fact that one measurement is 0.4 ohms too little and the other is 0.4 ohms too much is no coincidence.

Thanks for the input. I inadvertently double posted. Is there any way to fix that. Not a good look for my first post. Thanks again.