Room treatment project phase 2

Options
So phase 2 is happening, I’m looking to improve on several deficiencies of the room.

1. I hear a pooling of sound coming from the front upper half of the wall and front 1/3 of the ceiling right against the front wall/ceiling junction. It has remained untreated and has become a nuisance. There is what I hear to be a lack of focus on imaging and I believe the image is also “pulled up” because of extraneous reflections from this untreated front upper half of the room.

2. Diffusers along the upper 1/3 of the room all across to add air.

3. Bass traps towards the rear.

4. Diffusers towards the rear.

In the future I would like to experiment with some tube traps near to each speaker as well.

I just drilled and hung the hooks for the new cloud installation.

I haven’t purchased the latest set of traps as I was not sure which or how many.

fq6vx5ofkm6e.jpeg
9otqe0hin2ib.jpeg
qppmkjgmd7n0.jpeg
m1ka19cjbzb6.jpeg
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    What's all the duck tape for?
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    It was placed to locate all the rafters and also placed to mark the borders of the cloud panels.

A pain in my rear. Took me like 2 hours to mark everything up and drill at the right spots.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Looks like a pita be careful
  • Joey_V
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Looks like a pita be careful

Yeah hard part is over now to just get the panels in. And hang them.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    Looks good. Interested to see the finished product. If the clouds don't tame the funkiness, they do make corner traps for the upper corners which may help.

You may want to "play" with the bass traps a bit before mounting. On the back wall is a good idea, but placing diagonally in the 4 corners might be every bit as good if not better.

I've forgotten most of what I learned when I built a recording studio in my garage (which is now my 2 channel room), but recall there was a good reason for the corners. I think it may be that bass tends to "pool" in corners, so putting traps there keeps it more focused. I have 4 in the corners, one on the front wall and one on the back wall. Overkill perhaps ....

2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Thanks @Jaybeez

I look forward to finishing this phase
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Hey @Joey_V ,

IIRC, GIK offers free advice/consultations on how to treat your room. They will also recommend which products will work to treat any issues you are having/to accomplish your goals.

Just wondering if you've used any microphones in the room along with software to tell you where the room's acoustics are? I believe the software is free but you spend a little on a good quality mic.

@SCompRacer used the mic & software + his ears to map out his room and he's very proficient at what goes into the process. Perhaps reach out to him and ask some questions?

Good luck with Phase 2!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Joey_V
    Options
    @halo

Had gik run the room, these were the recommendations but it’s an expensive endeavor that I have to split it up into phases
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Is it hard to trap tubes? Do you need a license? I've always just purchased them online, but, I'm willing to give trapping a try.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Barney Fife could trap them. Ask him how he would do it.

It's BIG Ang ... it's BIG!
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s