• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 9,028
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I don't think I could handle more than 55". I feel like I'm sitting too close to it as is. 65 would be massive and would barely fit :dizzy:

Tight is ALWAYS good :blush:
  • Airplay355Airplay355 Posts: 4,113
    65" not 6.5" :D
  • Welcome to the "OTJ" thread ? :o
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+
  • gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 1,075
    Welcome to the "OTJ" thread ? :o

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED
    Outlaw Audio 975 Pre/Pro
    Samsung BDP, DirecTV Rcvr, Xbox 360, Dennon LDP, Phillips CD chgr

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside; CC outside
    BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
    8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside & out

LR: tri-amped RTi A7. Woofers, Rotel 98X amp; M & T, P'sound HCA-1000
    CC: Rotel RB985 -> tri-amped CSi A6
    5 Audio Pro Subs: 1 B1.39: 4 Evidence - 1 at each corner
    Surrounds: Hafler XL280 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3*
    Power Conditioning & Distribution:
    3 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 4 Furman Miniport 20s
    *Bi-amped early 2018 (I hope)
  • Mr_HzMr_Hz Posts: 127
    As they say in the car world, 'there's no replacement for displacement.' Go large or go home... basically. Find what fits your max fitment area, and nothing smaller... or you'll be disappointed. Sure, it'll cost a bit more, but you'll be happier in the end.

Currently - I finally hung/fired up a Panasonic Viera 55" plasma to take over duties from a 42" model. Above my fireplace I'm certain I can squeeze in a 65" OLED 4K model... so that is what I'll shoot for when the time is right.

Always go 'super sized'... it's the Ah-merican way!
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 9,657
    Never put a TV over the fireplace. Aside from looking tacky as s**t, the screen should be level with your eyes.

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,042
    I've gotten to the point where I can't stand the plasma TV's anymore compared to the 940C. The biggest issue is the ghosting. It has been getting worse over the last year and it bugs me.

Speakers: Harbeth: P3ESR, 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,172
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Never put a TV over the fireplace. Aside from looking tacky as s**t, the screen should be level with your eyes.

Agreed, in principle, however, it seems some rooms in newer houses are designed such that that's the only reasonable place for a TV. IMO, it can be done adequately, only if the TV is sufficiently far enough from the seating position so as to avoid neck cramps. YMMV

P.S. I am generally not in favor of mounting above a fireplace, but sometimes there's no better option.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • Airplay355Airplay355 Posts: 4,113
    We got it doubly bad in the house we bought. The tv was meant to be above a fireplace in a room with 25 foot ceilings. What happened to having a tv room? We’ve got it upstairs away from the main living space. I wouldn’t be able to stand the echos from the high ceilings. We were at least lucky that the Wall was flat above the fireplace and we covered up the outlets and such with artwork. I’m not sure how we would cover up one of those giant indents meant to house a TV and equipment.

Fireplace TVs and surround bars rule now.

• dragon1952dragon1952 Posts: 4,345
    We recently moved and during our house hunting I was amazed at how many houses didn't have an obvious place for a large TV in the LR other than above the fireplace. I've always hated that but that's what we ended up doing, even though we did have one decent wall , but since it's basically one large continuous space including kitchen, dining area, LR we needed that wall for furniture that otherwise would have had to go to far out into the room making the LR look too small. The family room is huge but downstairs and I'm not going down there to watch TV.
    Most of the houses seemed to have the TV's in a corner or above the fireplace, by necessity. The builders seem to design these LR's as if everyone just sits and stares at the fireplace and drinks tea.
    2 channel - Parasound A21 amp, PS Audio DirectStream, Intona USB Isolator, Asus EEEBox running JRiver, Tom Tutay modded EE Minimax pre, Furman Elite 15 Pfi power conditioner, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL speakers, Kimber 4TC speaker wire, Gabriel Gold Reflection V2 IC's, VH Audio Flavor 4 x 2, Flavor 2 and Pepster power cords
    Computer - Windows 7/JRiver, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors