Polk SDA-2B upgrade

I have a pair of SDA-2Bs I bought in 1989 and need to order some replacement tweeters. I can't find a place to order these. Please assist.
Gary Haskins

Best Answer

Answers

• Thanks F1, much appreciated. That's very retro!!!
  • headrottheadrott Posts: 5,194
    Also I wanted to add you are a member of the Polk forum and you will receive a discount. If you are planning on doing the TL upgrade, get the RD0-198's. If you are not planning on doing the TL upgrade, get the RD0-194's.

Personally, as stated in the other thread, I would simply get some 2.3TL's and get some RD0-198's to install in them (if they are not already installed).
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • hauxonhauxon Posts: 46
    edited February 14
    I got the RD0-198 for my 2B TL mod from midwestspeaker at Ebay. Even if Polk still sells the tweeters directly it seems to be quite hard to reach them. They don't reply to emails and and seemingly the only way is to call them which is unpractical for us on other continents and time zones. Midwestspeaker however respond fast and shipped mine within hours of me completing the purchase. Each tweeter is $54 or $108 for the two needed for SDA 2B.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-OEM-RD0198-1-SL3000-1-Dome-Tweeter-for-SDA-SRS-RTA-Series-NEW-/162248956136

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-OEM-RD0194-1-SL2000-1-Dome-Tweeter-for-SDA-RTA-Monitor-Series-NEW/152289478390?epid=524010369&hash=item23752906f6:g:y0UAAOSwn7JYCleb
    Polk SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | NAD C272 power amp | Chromecast Audio
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 8,831
    48$ and no shipping cost to club polk members.
    Does midwest do that?
  • agfrostagfrost Posts: 2,061
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Does midwest do that?

No shipping just for contiguous U.S., IIRC. Not sure what time zone hauxon's in, but apparently difficult to call during Polk's business hours?

Anyway, whatever it takes to get Such Good Sound.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Marantz DV-9500 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
    agfrost wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Does midwest do that?

No shipping just for contiguous U.S., IIRC. Not sure what time zone hauxon's in, but apparently difficult to call during Polk's business hours?

Anyway, whatever it takes to get Such Good Sound.

yea my bad you are correct. I missed this on the phone this morning. "unpractical for us on other continents and time zones."
  • verbverb Posts: 828
    I've had very good service from Polk via telephone. Yeah I sent an email to them when on their website and it took a few days telling me just to call.

Once I did, I was able to get a good deal on 4 MW's. List was $71 but after I mentioned that I was a CP member, and with a little negotiation, got em down to $48 each plus free shipping!

I would do business with them again.

See my thread:
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/180073/mw6511-6503-anyone-using-modern-replacements-update#latest
    2CH: Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Carver TFM35x Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 1,564
    verb wrote: »
    List was $71 but after I mentioned that I was a CP member, and with a little negotiation, got em down to $48 each plus free shipping!

Yeah, but they probably just felt sorry for you because your car is so old.

b9vhr07ahodk.jpg
  • Be careful if you buy them from anyone other than Polk. I bought a pair of RD198's from one of those places advertising them as RD198's but they sent SL2500's. They were trying to tell me RD198's and SL2500's are the exact same tweeters with different part numbers. After several rounds talking to them they agreed to give a refund. Called Polk direct and got the correct speakers a couple days later.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,793
    Slapaho wrote: »
    Be careful if you buy them from anyone other than Polk. I bought a pair of RD198's from one of those places advertising them as RD198's but they sent SL2500's. They were trying to tell me RD198's and SL2500's are the exact same tweeters with different part numbers. After several rounds talking to them they agreed to give a refund. Called Polk direct and got the correct speakers a couple days later.

Out of curiosity, how did you know they were SL2500's?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

edited February 15
    F1nut wrote: »
    Be careful if you buy them from anyone other than Polk. I bought a pair of RD198's from one of those places advertising them as RD198's but they sent SL2500's. They were trying to tell me RD198's and SL2500's are the exact same tweeters with different part numbers. After several rounds talking to them they agreed to give a refund. Called Polk direct and got the correct speakers a couple days later.

Out of curiosity, how did you know they were SL2500's?

I'd like to know that myself. I wouldn't know how to differentiate between the two.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,258
    I had some M5s with SL2500, they have a foam ring around the tweeter like the SL3000s. My Rd0s do not have the same foam ring.
    Living room

Mains: SDA 2B Studio
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12
    Power: Marantz SR7000 Preouts to Yamaha AV34
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved

2 Channel/Bedroom

*under construction*
    Polk TSI 200
    Power: Marantz PM235
    CDP: Technics SL-PD688
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Grado SR80e
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Paradigm Monitor 90
    Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,975
    @Gary... love the Hornet in your avi. did you fly 'em or fix 'em?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with PS Audio NuWave Phono converter, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray , Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

Still waiting......

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 1,367
    Still waiting......

Surprisingly impatient for someone who had to wait around for primordial ooze to form just so they could have something to argue with... :p
  • Tweets they sent were exactly the same as what was already in the speakers. Box and driver had no RDO identifying on them. Then talking to a guy at Polk that looked up that place's purchase history and found they had only purchased a few RDO194 and 198's in the past 12 months. The place stands firm there is zero difference between 198's and 2500's so it didn't matter which one they send out.

edited February 16
    Tweets they sent were exactly the same as what was already in the speakers. Box and driver had no RDO identifying on them. Then talking to a guy at Polk that looked up that place's purchase history and found they had only purchased a few RDO194 and 198's in the past 12 months. The place stands firm there is zero difference between 198's and 2500's so it didn't matter which one they send out.

Yeah ok, your story didn't make sense the first time and now I know it's fantasy.

• audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 152
    Yeah ok, your story didn't make sense the first time and now I know it's fantasy.

HAAA! HAAA! Sounds like someone ate a big bowl of obnoxious this morning...
    edited February 16
    Who's being obnoxious, you?

The SL2500 hasn't been made for close to 20 years. It had a label on the back just like the SL1000, SL2000 and SL3000. The fact that he said the first ones he ordered were just like his originals, no label, means his story is fantasy. In addition, the early runs of the RD0194/RD0198's had no labels and came in plain boxes. The more recent runs have a label on the side of the magnet.

One of the resellers lists the RD0198 as SKU SL2500, but it is the RD0198. I suspect slappy saw the SKU SL2500 on his invoice and not knowing any better because he didn't bother to do his homework thought he got the wrong tweeters. One question that lingers though is why he didn't order them from Polk in the first place because they are cheaper.

http://reconingspeakers.com/product/polk-sl2500-tweeter/

qoqq9cfrhtfu.jpg

That thumb looks familiar. :p
    Yours?

Yours?

Nope. It looks like a pre-"Shining" Jack Nicholson thumb. I'd say circa "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (1975). Definitely later than "Easy Rider", though.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,975
    Viking64 wrote: »
    That thumb looks familiar. :p

You need to stop chewing on your fingers...

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with PS Audio NuWave Phono converter, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray , Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

You need to stop chewing on your fingers...

That wasn't my hand.