Sda srs interconnect cable upgrade?

Options
I'm currently using the ic that came with my sda srs. I hear it is worthwhile to upgrade this cable but it seems no one uses ends like the stock cable. Is upgrading this cable that beneficial? Is there any ends that are similar to the stock for a new ic. I know only one connection is required but I like how the factory cable plugs into the speakers

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    describe the ends. Blade/blade or Pin/blade
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    describe the ends. Blade/blade or Pin/blade

Mine are blade/blade
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    Options
    Blade/blade requires both connections. Pin/blade only needs one if a common ground amp is used. If a dreadnaught is used or needed both connections are required.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• sansuibutch
    Options
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    Blade/blade requires both connections. Pin/blade only needs one if a common ground amp is used. If a dreadnaught is used or needed both connections are required.

Gotchya. So I do need both connections. What's the best route to get connectors like the factory ic wire?
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    Options
    Speak-on connectors are used by many to replace the stock connectors so custom wiring can be used.

qn241iagqw8m.png
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• sansuibutch
    Options
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    Speak-on connectors are used by many to replace the stock connectors so custom wiring can be used.

qn241iagqw8m.png

I did see people using these. Is it really worth it to upgrade the ic in General? I read that it makes for a bigger soundstage and so on. I'm not that convinced it makes a notable improvement seeing that polk used this ic in the first place. Again that's why I'm here asking all you fine folks that have much more experience than me. Do you have any idea what gauge wire is in the stock cable?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    stock is 16 gauge.

I about 8 yrs ago called polk they sent out an aftermarket Blade/blade ends and I used Canare 4s11 cable.

Only you can decide if it made a difference. The ends are not as nice as factory but they did what they were supposed to allow me to use larger gauge wire.
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    stock is 16 gauge.

I about 8 yrs ago called polk they sent out an aftermarket Blade/blade ends and I used Canare 4s11 cable.

Only you can decide if it made a difference. The ends are not as nice as factory but they did what they were supposed to allow me to use larger gauge wire.

I appreciate the info. I was figuring the bigger/better wire would not make much of an improvement based on the little that the drivers for the sda effect do. But now that I know it's only 16 gauge wire and it's a pretty long cord il definetly put some thought into it. The speakers sound awesome as is. Looks like a few bucks and not a whole lot of time will get it done. Decisions decisions. Thanks again Pitdogg2
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    The Speak-on connection is much more secure because it locks into place, whereas the pin/blade connection is somewhat loose fitting and the blade/blade connection is much worse than that. I've always had problems with the blade/blade cable staying in contact within the socket since the day I bought my SDA 2's 30 years ago. Even tried spreading out the blades to maintain the connection and it still worked it's way loose. Terrible design.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    Alright, who is going to be the first to mention dreadnoughts? :p
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    The Speak-on connection is much more secure because it locks into place, whereas the pin/blade connection is somewhat loose fitting and the blade/blade connection is much worse than that. I've always had problems with the blade/blade cable staying in contact within the socket since the day I bought my SDA 2's 30 years ago. Even tried spreading out the blades to maintain the connection and it still worked it's way loose. Terrible design.

I must have gotten lucky for once in my life. Mine are very snug. I've never had a issue with intermittent connections or any funny business. But I just thought it was due to them so rarely being pulled in and out.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    stock is 16 gauge.

I appreciate the info. I was figuring the bigger/better wire would not make much of an improvement based on the little that the drivers for the sda effect do. But now that I know it's only 16 gauge wire and it's a pretty long cord il definetly put some thought into it. The speakers sound awesome as is. Looks like a few bucks and not a whole lot of time will get it done. Decisions decisions. Thanks again Pitdogg2
    On your SRSs, the Interconnect carries the entire signal from the other channel. On later generations, the single pin connection carries the difference information back and forth. It makes a difference.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • westmassguy
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Alright, who is going to be the first to mention dreadnoughts? :p

Not for those SRSs. 2nd/3rd generation SRSs can't use a dreadnought
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    stock is 16 gauge.

On your SRSs, the Interconnect carries the entire signal from the other channel. On later generations, the single pin connection carries the difference information back and forth. It makes a difference.

It is not using the entire signal carried over is it? Or are you saying the entire signal is carried over and then uses some of the xover to work properly?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Say what!?!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sansuibutch
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Say what!?!

I'm currently using the ic that came with my sda srs. I hear it is worthwhile to upgrade this cable but it seems no one uses ends like the stock cable. Is upgrading this cable that beneficial? Is there any ends that are similar to the stock for a new ic. I know only one connection is required but I like how the factory cable plugs into the speakers
  • westmassguy
    Options
    stock is 16 gauge.

It is not using the entire signal carried over is it? Or are you saying the entire signal is carried over and then uses some of the xover to work properly?
    From approximately 2k down. The crossover filters the higher frequencies.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • westmassguy
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Say what!?!

On your SRSs, both blades carry signal.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    stock is 16 gauge.

From approximately 2k down. The crossover filters the higher frequencies.

That makes sense. Thank you very much.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    Options
    Lots of variables here to consider also. Upgrading your IC's may NOT give you a discernable difference.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    Can someone post a link to the correct speak-on connectors. I read some are air tight and some are not and so on. I would like to order these only once. Thank you
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    What's your budget?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    What's your budget?

$20
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited February 2018
    Options
    "Parts Express" has some. "Mono-Price" might have some too.

You're on your way. Good luck.

But "cinch connectors" (?) might be better for you. You won't have to modify your speaker's connections. Only the cable.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    Mouser sells them as well
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• sansuibutch
    sansuibutch Posts: 198
    Options
    Today I received the parts to make my new cable. I've never used these speak-on connectors bwbed2fcz17sw.jpg
    efore so I have a question. Do I simply stick the wire in these holes and solder them or is there somthing I'm missing here? I don't want to melt these things
  • westmassguy
    Options
    You ordered the ones for solder connections apparently.
    These are the one I use:
    https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4fx-speakon-spx-series-4-pole-cable-connector--092-190
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    Nevermind. I downloaded the instructions and they do just get soldered.
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    You ordered the ones for solder connections apparently.
    These are the one I use:
    https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4fx-speakon-spx-series-4-pole-cable-connector--092-190

I planned on soldering after I snugged the screws anyway I guess so no biggy there. What wires should I connect to what lugs?..my understanding is it really don't matter as long as there the same on both sockets and plugs, but if there is a certain way everyone does it for whatever reason it won't hurt that's for sure.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    I like the solder version best.

Use one positive and one negative, then the same at the other end.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk