Moving time.

Options
Time to pack it all up again. We owned a house in CT for almost 20 years, but a few years back after my son was off to college, my wife's job moved down here to Tampa so we sold our house and rented a place for a year. Then we bought a 2BR condo when the lease was up. At the time, we had just done so much downsizing and purging, and had come off of a long run of killer storms that ran through the northeast. We'd lost the better part of not one, but two basements to flooding over the years and were pretty exhausted from home ownership. So we were happy to kick back and enjoy the maintenance free lifestyle of a condo.

But another year and a half later, and we're really finding ourselves missing space! Two and a half years of having guests visit us in a small apartment, our son's large dog, and a bunch of other factors have brought about a complete 180 for both me and my wife, and we've decided to make a move back into a house. We currently live right in the downtown area, and Tampa is no different than most other cities. When it comes to real estate, you can find a lot more for a lot less when you head a few minutes out of town. So we'll end up looking in some of the towns just bordering Tampa that give my wife a really easy commute.

But it gets better - we purchased and renovated another investment condo a couple of months ago, intending to rent it out. But now that it's done, we've decided that the best and safest way to go about the sale of our current residence and the purchase of the new one will be to temporarily move into our investment condo. This way we won't be living in the house that is on the market, and we won't be forced into buying a house by a certain date because we've sold our current home. We won't run the risk of a delayed sale of our current home **** up the closing of the next one. Or if our current home takes longer than planned to find a buyer, we won't have shot ourselves in the foot by buying something else too early. Once this place is sold, we can wait for a house that we love to become available, rather than just choose from what's available at the time of the sale of our current home. Not to mention, the likelihood is high that we'd want to do some work in the new house, and living in a temporary place allows us to do that without having to live through it. There are just so many benefits to having an intermediate place to stay in between the sale and the purchase.

So long story short, we'll be moving twice, after having already moved twice in the past couple of years! I can tell you all with a very high degree of confidence that a 1200 disc vinyl collection requires 20 small-size moving boxes to pack......

I'm not going to unpack most of our stuff in the temporary place. It's actually got a ton of storage in the garage, so most of my gear will just sit tight in there except for the 5B's, my amp, and the digital stuff. I'll be going on a vinyl hiatus until we get to the house. We're at the end of the hot season in Florida. You wouldn't know it from the weather outside, but we're just waiting for the cold fronts to start kicking in and the humidity to plummet. Once that happens, we'll ride through May of next year in the 60's and 70's with no humidity. So the garage will be as good as climate controlled storage until we're ready to move.

The good news is that my wife knows that when we look for the new house, one of my requirements is a kick-a $ $ man-cave. I should end up with a pretty sweet new home for the SDAs once this all done. Once we track down a place, I should have a pretty fun project to work on - design the man cave!

Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Comments

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Options
    Wow, really???? You're not allowed to say s crew ing up in here????
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Sounds like a very sound plan, Neil.

Best wishes in finding your new home!
  • nspindel
    Options
    Thanks Mike!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,938
    Options
    Yes best wishes!!! Have fun!!!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    Options
    Moving is awesome and sucks at the same time. I purchased my home 14 years+ years ago, we built it brand new and I thought then" This is the last time I'm Moving!".
    As much as I would like a bigger better home , I still basically feel that way.

Good luck with the move.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,612
    Options
    Sounds like a solid plan Neil good luck may the force be with you ;)
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    That's a lotta moving. Man, I do not envy you one bit but the killer new man cave should make things bearable!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Congrats Neil. Hoping the best for you along the way.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Late to the party, but congrats Neil!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,476
    Options
    Looking forward to the development of the new 2ch room and system when you get settled-settled. As well as any eye candy, tech, insightful info between now and then. Exciting times, indeed, and what a great little plan for maximizing your options and opportunities.
    I disabled signatures.
  • nspindel
    Options
    All the music and gear is packed up. It's a sad day, I'm tuneless. All I have right now is a little bluetooth speaker! But keeping my eye on the prize, it's going to be nice to have a house again. It's been a blast living a downtown apartment life for a few years, but I just miss having space. I miss a garage. I miss a yard. I hate my electric grill. And I want a man cave that doesn't dual-purpose as a guest room!
  • msg
    Options
    I can understand missing everything you've noted. You tried it, and it's not for you. Great that you're still in a position to do something about it, age/finance/other-wise.

Laughed at "all I have is a little Bluetooth speaker!" When I think back now on how long I went without a stereo set up, I don't know how I managed it. Music's always been a big part of my every day, and most of the day, but for a while there, it was only while I was at work with headphones on, or while driving. Seems so completely umpossible to me now that I lived like that for a few years after I moved into my first place. I shudder to think it otherwise.

It's funny, I've also heard some people allude to a measure of anxiety when a system is down or not working properly. I've noticed it creeping up when I notice the music stop when I'm rebooting the media server. Usually come to later, curled up in the fetal position, rocking myself, saying find a happy-plaaace...
    I disabled signatures.
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    Options
    nspindel wrote: »
    Wow, really???? You're not allowed to say s crew ing up in here????

Well that's kinda screwed up... What if I had an issue **** in a new driver and the screw hole stripped? I see no issue with asking about that and I moderate on a different site that is PG13 rated. Are we not allowed to screw up while **** in a screw?

Good luck with the move and I hope you get you tunes up and going soon.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• nspindel
    Options
    Apparently the word is only forbidden in verb form!
  • msg
    Options
    skrew. there. fixed it.
    skrew all you want.
    I disabled signatures.
  • nspindel
    Options
    The situation is ever changing. We decided against moving into the rental. We found a house that we can swing without having to sell our current place first, and the house doesn't need any remodeling, it's only 5 years old. So we bought a house today! It's about 20 minutes outside of Tampa in a town called Dover. The most important part is it's a cake commute for my wife to her office in Brandon.

Now for the important part. Time to start designing the man cave!!! New thread for that....
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    Congrats to you and your wife, Neil!
  • nspindel
    Options
    Mike you'll have to come pay a visit!
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    nspindel wrote: »
    Mike you'll have to come pay a visit!

Would love to, Neil!

I've been through there often and have an old friend in Plant City and a daughter (Sarah) in Winter Haven, east of you. Sarah had her wedding shower in Seffner. Small world.

That should be just a great commute for your wife.
  • nspindel
    Options
    My wife's commute was the main reason we picked downtown to live originally. She just hops on the highway in downtown and scoots straight to work in 20 minutes. But when we look around that whole area near her office you just get so much more for so much less, with an even shorter commute. Of course, we're not downtown any more and that's true with any city. Once you leave the city, prices get cheaper very quickly. So the allure of space just called us. We did a huge round of decluttering when we moved south, not planning on re-cluttering just because we have space. But we want our own driveway into our own garage, we want our own pool in our own yard. We want to use whatever kind of barbecue grill we want, etc. etc. etc.