Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    11tsteve wrote: »
    That's a Rock Shox fork?

Fox Factory Float.

• 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Options
    don't look at photos on tiny phone.... And I think we even discussed this.
    We have had perfectly space rain events here, with minor flooding, and odd snowfalls. Starting to think the dirt will never dry out.
    My wife bought a new-to-her Surly Krampus, and we have barely had time to put wheels to dirt.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    Options
    One of our friends uses SBDs as a competitive riding tactic. He once - jussst once - let one loose when our buddy was about to overtake him - crashing off into the brush he went with a trailing cry "Ugggh, I can taste it! Get it offa me!"
    SPD's are great... SBD's stink
    I disabled signatures.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Went back out today. The trail was an even bigger flooded mess. We have had A LOT of rain recently.

It was in the mid 40's and went through a section of water that I assumed (foolishly) was not that deep. It was above my bottom bracket. So pedaling through that was awesome...

Did I forget to mention it was within the first few minutes of the ride?

So soaking wet feet on a cold, windy sounds like a winning combination!

Haha.

After pushing through, I came across a section of trail that was just impassable because of the flooding.

I'm really hoping it's gone down for tomorrow. The conditions are miserable. :s
  • 11tsteve
    Options
    our dirt has finally become good enough to ride. Of course, we headed out yesterday enjoy sunny skies, dry dirt, and 70+ temps. About 15 minutes into the trail, my wife took a thorn to her new Krampus, and we discovered, in our excitement, we had neglected to transfer CO2 from our winter bikes to our summer bikes, and no pump.
    Rookie mistake by people who know better.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Been there!

Had a lovely walk back to the car last season when I forgot my frame pump in my car and got a flat...

This season I'm running a Stan's tubeless system for the first time. Curious how it handles stuff like thorns. So far it has been a PIA since Schwalbe seems to have made my sidewalls out of swiss cheese...

It's getting better, but I feel like it should not have been so difficult to seal them up.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Nice bike! Good to see others out there doing it.

I'm trying to get back on the bike this year. I'm 50 and started riding back in college in 86'. What got me riding was a bout of panic / anxiety disorders that started back then. I pulled out of school because I developed phobias of going places and driving but the bike slowly got me back out into the world. I later worked as a bike mechanic for about five years. I was more into road riding on Italian made frames and components back then. As I aged I tried to get more into the ATB thing. It seems since I got married and had kids I pulled more and more away from cycling in general. I sold my Italian Ciocc racing bike years ago and never replaced it. I do have a Specialized Rockhopper that I plan to force myself to ride this year. I have a 17.7 mile asphalt trail that is just a couple of miles from my house. Once I get some conditioning i want to get a nice Carbon or Titanium road bike and join one of the local groups around here. Also, there is a technical 10 Mile off road trail not far from where I work. So, I need to get motivated to ride and try to loose some weight. I'm 5'11' 224lbs right now. Back when I was into it in my 20's-30's I used to weight 185-195lbs.

No excuses! Here is my motivation.....great places to ride here in Indiana. I've been here for about 4.5 years relocated from Michigan and I've yet to ride these great trails. Here's to cycling in 2017!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhWEuWyQbnU&t=243s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGUGQG85cBU
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    That is a sweet bike man. Nice job.
    I stick with Tube style tires for no other reason then I'm old fashion. I like a few different tires I've used over the years but I'm always looking at different ones.

The Specialized Pro Roll X Duel where awesome. I really enjoyed their non slip grippy ability in lose dirt. I'm very happy with the speed as well. They don't slow you down when you stop pedaling like a few other tires I had.

Bontrager LT 3's where also awesome.I found these a suitable replacement for the Roll X as they are not sold anymore. I haven't tried any newer model yet but this year I really need some new tires or I'm getting a new bike.

I'm rocking a GT Avalanche 2.0 for 2004 so I've got all kinds of miles and my money out of it. I've made many upgrades to it but it's a hard tail and I wouldn't mind a full suspension bike.

I do alot of trail riding technical , canal straight riding , and some down hill. It's been a few years that I did down hill but man I'm just waiting to go back up the mountains and murder that. That was scary fun as we where hitting speeds using the brakes over 48 mph. That was some crazy scary stuff man but I liked it LOL.

On the trails I usually average around 10-15mph I don't usually go over that unless I do a few sprints then I hit about 22-25 mph before I gas out .
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    I went out to the garage to get the Treks ready looks like a trip to the Trek store for new tubes is what my plan is this afternoon the Specialized is ready so just might ride that today instead. We had rain all last week so getting muddy will happen. I might leave the Trek store with a new Fatboy.

The Trek store don't do trades but the Giant dealer does, might get tubes at the Giant Dealer instead. Severe Storms later today so checking out a Fatboy is what I will be doing after I get winded on my first ride.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited April 2017
    Options
    gn6v1m68sovk.jpg
    4fybycr5wxbt.jpg

Here is where I will be going in June up in Northern Minnesota the top of the hill before the Screamer, then Easy Street 12 miles all down hill around all the lakes an old Iron Ore mines lots of flows. I don't think I would make the hill today got 6 weeks to get ready. A Rocky Mountain Hardtail is what I ride up there.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    That place looks awesome!

I need to explore more of the trails around me this coming season.

Sadly, I noticed after my ride today that my trusty, old Adidas Adistar race xc shoes are in need of replacing.
  • 11tsteve
    Options
    I bought some nice five ten MTB shoes, but I still end up in my Converse Chucks a lot of the time.... great grip on the Race Face Chesters.
    Today's ride was beautiful.... some sun, some clouds, and some near hero dirt.111q8gb347xc.jpg
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    I was really bummed about my Adistar shoes...

We have been together for 8+ seasons!

Sadly the sole is starting to delaminate from the shoe...

They were my first "expensive" carbon sole XC shoe, they showed me how important a good shoe can be.

I found a good deal on some Shimano XC90 shoes. Curious to see how much XC shoes have improved over the last 8 or so years!
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    IMG_0045_zpswmfag7qm.jpg

Hope you guys are getting out and riding!

Got out for a quick ride last night and took one of my local paths. This is a nice spot to relax and just shut off.

The new bike has been awesome. It's just a rocket when you push it. I was really worried that I would have a sizable acclamation period getting used to 29" wheels, but this bike has felt comfortable and natural from day one.

The carbon frame is stiff and brutally efficient when you want to hammer on the pedals, but when you're just cruising along on the trail, it does an awesome job soaking up chatter and small bumps. Better than the old alloy Stumpjumper. I think part of it is the frame design and the Niner RDO seat post (with the "unstiff carbon layup").

So far, loving the bike and getting back out into the fresh air!
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Just added a nice piece of equipment to my cycling fun:

[img][/img]37466582756_2b559d6353_c.jpg ,

Niner, BSB RDO

Can't wait to add some miles this weekend!
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Took my first ride on the BSB this afternoon after work.

FAST is the best way I can describe it. The Air 9 RDO is fast for an XC bike. But for roads and fast gravel trails, the BSB is awesome.

It's FAR more "twitchy" and requires me to calm down my natural, brutish approach to cycling from a lifetime of mountain biking. When out of the saddle and putting power down, I need to learn to "dance on the pedals" rather than hammer away...

So far with the limited miles I've been able to put in, it's comfortable and very responsive. I'm loving it.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Very nice bike! Yes, you have to learn the art of a smooth pull up push down cadence on the road. One can cover many miles when riding smooth and efficient. Just find the gear that works best for you. Keep pedaling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jh-5TYAtJI
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    Keep pedaling!

My bike is a bit more rude about it:

37681084401_80d3edf870_c.jpgUntitled
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    I swapped out the tires from the Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires that came on it for Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tires.

Far less aggressive and roll a lot easier, they also give a more balanced and controlled ride.

If I need a more aggressive tire for messy stuff, I'll happily just break out the Air 9 rocking 2.25" Racing Ralph tires...
  • msg
    Options
    Very nice. Is the BSB considered a cyclocross bike?

Yeah, powering on the upcycle as well as down can rocket you to max speed in a jiff on sprints. Pretty amazing how well it works. So much more torque, and the boost just plain feels great. I was ignorant to this for years. Adds to the workout too, obviously.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Very nice. Is the BSB considered a cyclocross bike?

It is technically a cyclocross bike, but from what I've learned there are very little differences from a cyclocross bike to a "gravel" bike.

I did not want a road specific bike. I want something that I can take from the road to gravel and lite single track. I was between the BSB and RLT from Niner. The BSB has more BB clearance and a more compact, agile geometry than the RLT. All of those things were a plus to me.

I plan on using the BSB as a go anywhere and explore kind of bike. The Air 9 will be used when I know things get a bit rougher and I want some more excitement.
  • msg
    Options
    That's good stuff. I, also, briefly looked into cyclocross bikes when I very first opened myself up to exploring road bikes.

I haven't really been up on what's going on in the bike world for several years now - mostly just riding, got my blinders on :) - so I didn't/don't really know the difference between cyclocross and gravel bikes. I'll do a little exploring here, because I like that idea, too, being able to hop off the pavement on a road-ish bike. Back when I was looking at road and cx bikes, I just couldn't quite bring myself to get one, and just pressed on in mtb. It was a good enough fit for mixed terrain, of course not very efficient for pavement. No regrets though, because my mixed terrain riding style is more urban touring, and looking for little lines, hitting little jumps here and there. I wonder whether I'd get much use out of one of these other bikes, or just feel regretfully limited, wishing I were on something more versatile?

My favorite bike is an older Gary Fisher x-cal 29r. It's a 100mil xc bike, but it's smooth, and it's fast, and relatively light. But more attractively, it's just plain soulful to ride. I can't explain it any other way. You know how it always feels good to get on a bike, and to realize you're falling into that rhythm sometime during the first five minutes, the day's stresses shedding off with the breeze as the blood gets moving? There's just something extra about what this bike offers. It's damn near spiritual sometimes.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    To be honest, there is VERY little difference between a CX bike and Gravel bike.

In general, a Gravel bike with have a slightly longer wheelbase thanks to longer chainstays and slightly slacker head tube angle. The BB height will typically be a bit lower as well. This all adds up to a bike that likes to cruise along in a strait line and be more stable at higher speeds.

A CX bike will be designed for better clearance, tighter steering and more be responsive. Usually they are more "twitchy".

Overall, they are nearly identical. I simply wanted the tighter and more agile geometry of the "CX" designed BSB from Niner.

I wanted to stay with Niner for this bike as I LOVE my Air 9 RDO. Their carbon frames are awesome.

I chose to build a XC bike this past winter over a gravel type bike for the exact same reasons as you. I don't want to be limited. However I'm spending more time on the road and lite gravel roads now and it's just is not the most comfortable or efficient bike for that task.

That's why I added the BSB and I'm keeping the Air 9. Now I don't just throw a leg over the bike that best suits the ride I'm going to take!
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Took a ride late this morning, beautiful fall day!

37148957494_1623c7b9ee_c.jpgUntitled

The Conti Grand Prix 4 Season tires have been GREAT. Roll nice and hook up on different surfaces really nicely. Inspire a lot of confidence.

37827241682_4bf99f1fed_c.jpgUntitled
  • 11tsteve
    edited October 2017
    Options
    oiok8myll6ll.jpg
    My ride from here on out this season.
    For the most part, though I still have a little time left for the Trek Stache.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • jeremie
    jeremie Posts: 246
    Options
    I have a Niner RLT and it’s a great bike. Goes well with my other bikes.
    Niner jet9
    Scott Addict
    Specialized Shiv tri bike
    Receiver Yamaha 3070 *Emotiva xpa5 * Behringer iNuke 6000dsp *Monster Cable HTS 3500 -- line conditioner * Panamax 5300 * Apple 4K * Panasonic UB820 * JVC NX5 * Silver Ticket thin bezel 120”
    LSIM - Fronts 707 * Center 706c * Sides 702 * Rear 703 *FP RC85i * RP RC65i * Sub (2) SI HT18