Help with Carver Amazings

Options
2»

Comments

• hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Problem is these just Do Not pop up around here very often, in fact it is almost slim to none. And the other issue is a pair showing up close enough for me to do a pickup, plus I can get them to hold them for just about as long as I need to allow time to come up with the funds. So is 600 worth the trade out to get into a pair close to home, or should I just sit back and wait it out until the freakin cows come home.

Mike
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Troy,

I was going to get them for the apartmen...... OOPS!

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I just spewed a diet coke on the monitor. You got me there mon frere......

Mike,

I dunno what the answer is for you. For me, the Amazings were THE holy grail of speakers. So, in that sense, 600 bones is not a big deal. However, I have a hard time believing that a pawn shop is going to get the kind of coin for a pair of speakers. 600 for a pair of reference quality speaks, IMO, isn't a bad deal. However, you also need the gear upstream to do them justice. It's a catch 22, you know??

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Troy,

I think if I can move a few pieces that I have now I am going to make a trip to ktown and just do it. If and when they get here and I get the rest of the rig together down the road, and they have the buzz, it will be worth it to me to spend the 300 or 400 to have the ribbons rebuilt because somewhere down the line they will be passed on to one of my boys to appreciate.

Would the 200t not be able to push them well enough until I could round up another? How hard is it to get the grills off of them to replace the grill cloth?

I dunno, I just feel like I need to get on this band wagon while it is still here to get on....if you get my drift. Wonder if a guy had 5 bills in hand, and walked in and let him smell them if he would bite on it? Money talks......right?

Mike
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited November 2004
    Options
    That's what I'm saying man. Go in and lay $500 in crisp 20's on the counter and see if he lets you walk out with it.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Mike, the grills come off by removing a few screws, no big deal.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I have had Amazing's for close to 15 years now. I have driven them with as little as 100wpc. That was with a Nikko 1219 receiver and I did it just for giggles.

Buy them, don't look back, and get adequate amplification somewhere down the road. Adequate being a minimum of 200-250wpc.

Granted, I have the larger Platinum Mk.IV's. My buddy Harold drove his Silver's with a Hafler DH-500 (250wpc) and it was plenty of power for them.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by fireshoes
    Go in and lay $500 in crisp 20's on the counter and see if he lets you walk out with it.
    ... or $400 with the other $100 distributed evenly throughout your clothing...

What you save below the asking price might just nab you a second 200t... Twin 200t's bridged to mono wouldn't fair too badly...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD