My 1975 Buick Riviera...

Options
She is supposed to be a former best of show winner, but looking at her in this condition, it must have been a show judged by Stevie Wonder. The finish is so bad it feels like ir is covered in Braille.

The drivetrain, which I was told was in perfect working order screams like nothing I have ever heard before, likely needs the bottom end rebuilt. I expected to have to do some work, but not a top to bottom rebuild... at least the interior, engine compartment and trunk are very clean.

t3qsraj1vwm6.jpg
p79vgiez063a.jpg
80erbbzuwmp7.jpg
0hm3x1rurfha.jpg
9cnuk4qtiwof.jpg
k182e7zs0i86.jpg
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    "Pimp my Ride"
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    "Pimp my Ride"

I've always thought the opposite would be a more entertaining show.

"Ride my Pimp?"
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited August 2017
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    "Pimp my Ride"

I've always thought the opposite would be a more entertaining show.

...or more like this?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pWMpHc77qNI?rel=0&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

**Embedding fail. Click the link to see?
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,068
    Options
    A Riviera in the rough is better than no Riviera at all, I would opine :)

(even if it's been rode hard and put away wet, to keep some alignment with the slightly seedy counterpoint of this thread ;))
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Congrats!

Looks like it spent some time in New Jersey. Any telltale body outlines in the trunk? :o
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,116
    Options
    No, but the stench is still prevalent...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,963
    Options
    I used to have an Oldsmobuick when I was a kid.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I used to have an Oldsmobuick when I was a kid.

Always appreciate a Fletch quote!
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    Options
    350 Rocket or 455?
    I had a '73 Cutlass Supreme with the 350 rocket. Man, what a sled :D
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    Options
    Nice boat. I have a '78 Magnum myself. It has 31k original miles on it.

The paint looks good until you look close and see the old guys that owned it before me waxed it so much it's starting to wear thru...

It runs good for what it is, it's getting over a 100% power increase, some trans work and an 8.75" 355 geared suregrip rear end this winter/spring.

za2dbv8rjvq2.jpg
    6vmybui9rc6u.jpg
    pvqnxwb59363.jpg
    pf2weynciwrt.jpg
    jrl9p8ce5zax.jpg
    sw5gdp31ab2a.jpg
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• mhardy6647
    Options
    That has panache.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2017
    Options
    John that ride has plenty potential looks good, but then I am a complete sucker for big American cars.

I have owned Olds 88's and 98's in the past.

This is one of my sleds.

uh3hxlh5vkzj.jpg
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • txcoastal1
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ^^^^^My buddy had one of them but a convertible....and in the late 80's still to this day the fastest I've ever been in a car...140plus kicked the shiite out of a Camaro running up Hwy 281

What sux is I lost my visor ;):p
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    Those are sum bitchin' rides!
    Carl

• mhardy6647
    Options
    One of youse guyses needs to pick up a seventy-one Riviera. Then I can really be jealous (not that I'm not already)...

7089330235_d5b4574e5e_b.jpg1971 Buick Riviera by coconv, on Flickr
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Yeah the boat tail is a classic

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Mr. Hawkins had one when I was in Jr. high school. He would bring his daughter to school in it. She was very cute; the car was gorgeous. :)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Yeah the boat tail is a classic

Yep, had one of those also. Boat is a good description.....handled like one too.

Loved the old Cutlasses, especially the 442's.....rock solid cars.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    The boat-tailed cars were originally designed for the A body platform, and were sexy little beast... GM brass, in their infinite stupidity, went against both the engineers and designers and ordered the car to bee built on the B body platform instead.

• mhardy6647
    Options
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2017
    Options
    GM A body cars still rule, some of the best designs ever.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    For a family-oriented approach in the Gunboat Category, I feel compelled to mention
    the Buick Roadmaster.

ciu4kdxsoypw.jpg

The instruction manual for parallel parking was written by the same engineers who developed the procedures for landing the space shuttle.

Sal Palooza
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    After the 1979-85 E-body and 1978-87 G-body cars, GM jumped the shark and hasn't really built much since that I would care to own, Corvettes and maybe a Camaro perhaps, but that is pretty much it.

• tonyb
    Options
    Man John, least they could have included the fuzzy dice with the car. Love the interior though, notice the ashtray in the door......ahhh the good old days. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,653
    Options
    obieone wrote: »
    350 Rocket or 455?
    I had a '73 Cutlass Supreme with the 350 rocket. Man, what a sled :D

Here's my buddies Cutlass

eoxk5thkgzin.jpg
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    One of youse guyses needs to pick up a seventy-one Riviera. Then I can really be jealous (not that I'm not already)...

7089330235_d5b4574e5e_b.jpg1971 Buick Riviera by coconv, on Flickr
    My Buddy had one, while I had this;

i9mfaejecx31.jpg

Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • tonyb
    Options
    Stylin' professor. I see now how you snagged Mrs. H.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    For a family-oriented approach in the Gunboat Category, I feel compelled to mention
    the Buick Roadmaster.

ciu4kdxsoypw.jpg

The instruction manual for parallel parking was written by the same engineers who developed the procedures for landing the space shuttle.

Used to have a 92 Roadmaster. A couch on wheels. Loved that car. Black paint, tan interior.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    We had a 1958 Caddy (four door) for a while when I was a yoot. I don't think I have any photos of it, though.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,374
    Options
    My baby was a Gold 1979 Trans Am 6.6 liter w/ the shaker hood and brown/tan bird. Completely stock with the exception of the rims and tires. Great car. Got her as a teen with 36K miles on her. Close to mint condition. Good times.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~