SDA-2 with Marantz SR6001?

Options
pheatton
pheatton Posts: 7
edited August 2017 in Vintage Speakers
I have a set of Polk SDA-2As that I have had for a number of years now, love these suckers. I use these in my spare room for just music listening at this point but I will be moving to a new place with much less space. Im thinking of using these instead of my RT800i's for my home theater which includes a CS400i and a Marantz SR6001. Being that SDAs are technically rated at 4ohm are there any glaring issues running them?

I know little about running 4ohm speakers on a 8ohm receiver and while it can drive them id rather not run into any issues. Also how will the SDAs match timbre wise with the CS400i? I like the RT800i setup but the future wife likes the look of the SDAs better and they are a bit more pleasing to look at.

Marantz Specs - http://us.marantz.com/DocumentMaster/US/SR6001v2.pdf

Best Answer

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thermal protection is in your future. I used a Yamaha rxv992 on my 2a's and even though it said it could handle the load it didn't do well. Without cranking it up it would get very hot. You will need an amp in all seriousness. Those start at 4ohm and dip very low.

Answers

• pheatton
    Options
    Thanks you two. I knew I would get a better answer than looking around online. For now it looks like I'll be keeping the RT800is and my parents will get the SDA setup I have for now. I know they will love that!
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited August 2017
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Major problem is and I have the same issue with my SDAs is they drop to 1 ohm or lower during operation
    WHICH SDAs, and at what frequencies?

1 ohm is way less than what I'd expect for non-modified SDAs. Polk claimed that aside from the lowish (nominal 4 ohm) impedance, they were "easy to drive".
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I ran SDA2B off a SR5001 for a long time. The receiver eventually died but I don't think it had anything to do with the speakers. I think the 2B are 6ohm rated but I'm sure they could dip into 4ohms. It did run a little warmer than usual though. Maybe that's what killed it. Who knows, it was getting towards 10 years old :)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I ran SDA2B off a SR5001 for a long time. The receiver eventually died but I don't think it had anything to do with the speakers. I think the 2B are 6ohm rated but I'm sure they could dip into 4ohms. It did run a little warmer than usual though. Maybe that's what killed it. Who knows, it was getting towards 10 years old :)

Dipping to 4ohm is much different that starting at 4 and going to low 3ohm