Anyone own both the F/Xi3 & F/Xi5?

Options
Hermitism
Hermitism Posts: 4,205
When I upgraded from a CSi3 to a CSi5 center, the difference was HUGE. I took the CSi3 and used it as a single rear to go with the F/Xi3 side surrounds. No longer using the CSi3 because I had to keep moving it in the room I'm using. So currently have a 5 channel setup which is perfect for that sized room. I've been keeping an eye out locally for a set of F/Xi5's so in the future (relocation, changing HT rooms, etc.) I'd have a 7 channel setup. Like I did with acoustic panels, I built more than I needed for my current small room because the opportunity was there and I figured I'd be able to use them in the future. Still have an unused box of OC703 in the garage. Anyways, to my point, I have an opportunity to buy another set of F/Xi3's locally for $100, maybe less than that. Has anyone owned both the F/Xi3 and F/Xi5 surrounds? Is there that big of a difference since it's used as a surround speaker? I'd be buying a set of speakers I currently have no use for. Would I be better off just waiting to see if a set of i5's come up in the future. I know buying a set of the newer FXiA's would always be an option if I needed them. I also wasn't sure what a fair price for a used set of i3's or i5's would be. The F/Xi3's that are local are cosmetically perfect. I would of course have to hear them to make sure they have no issues before I bought them. Also the F/Xi3's I have now are mounted on stands, I purchased them used that way and have always worried what a mess I'm going to get into trying to remove them from the stands. Looks like a double sided sticky pad (thicker than double sided tape) was used to mount them (not the best description). I was really hoping someone had upgraded their surrounds and would have first hand experience on the sound difference between the little and big brother surrounds.

Thanks.

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    I have installed both and the 5's are fuller just like the Center was. I would hunt for the 5's.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Hermitism
    Options
    Awesome, just the info I was needing. I had found a previous thread from 2012 where someone had stated that "the 5's are designed to throw that soundfield into a bigger space/room". I was hoping someone had actually heard both here, so now I know. Thanks! I found the difference between the two centers to be night and day.

Would there be a certain price so low that I should purchase the 3's strictly on principle due to the price and keep them until I found some 5's, then resell the 3's? The guy has a time limit to sell them before he moves out of the country. I could tell him to hit me up if they don't sell. I'm not a flipper, so I don't usually purchase things with the intentions of reselling them.
  • Hermitism
    Options
    Also, if I eventually find a used set of F/Xi5's, what would be a fair price for both the seller and buyer?