LSi7 or B&W 686 S2

Options
2»

Comments

• pablo_rodz
    pablo_rodz Posts: 331
    Options
    If it was in my budget.... I'm inclining towards the LSi. I've never listened to PSBs, but I read great reviews of the brand everywhere.
    HT:
    Projector - JVC HD100, 100" Fixed Screen, A/V Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH, Power Conditioner - Panamax M5300-EX, BluRay - Sony PS3, (2) ADCOM GFA 555 Bridged, Speakers - LSi 15, LSi C, LSi FX, Sub - 12" M&K VX-1250.

Living Room:
    Schiit Saga, Parasound HCA-600, OPPO BDP-103D, LSi7
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Pablo,

I have the LSi-7's and absolutely love them. I paid around $225 (IIRC) in great condition, but no mods.

I also have the B&W DM601s, but mine are the S3. I paid a LOT less than $300... Honestly, I like them, and for what I paid, they were worth it. But, I'd take the LSi-7's, even if they were twice the price as the B&W's every day. Again, I'm not knocking the B&W's... they are great, but they certainly didn't 'wow' me like the 7's did when I first heard them.

$300 for 7's with upgrades and stands is a good deal.

Can't comment on the PSB's - never heard them.

Good luck in your search!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    For one, the lsi7 remains a solid choice.

The 602 is an older speaker from the late 90s but is the quintessential BW 600 series speaker, it is also made in England unlike the current crop of 6 series.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • pablo_rodz
    pablo_rodz Posts: 331
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback. Additional feedback is always welcome.
    HT:
    Projector - JVC HD100, 100" Fixed Screen, A/V Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH, Power Conditioner - Panamax M5300-EX, BluRay - Sony PS3, (2) ADCOM GFA 555 Bridged, Speakers - LSi 15, LSi C, LSi FX, Sub - 12" M&K VX-1250.

Living Room:
    Schiit Saga, Parasound HCA-600, OPPO BDP-103D, LSi7
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The LSi15 is not a well balanced speaker. The bass is too slow/bloated and therefore doesn't blend with the mids and highs. The LSi9's were the best of that series, IMO.
    K_M wrote: »
    Both the Lsi15 and the Lsi9 have that bass bloat, but to varying degrees.
    It can be alleviated by placement, but then the deep bass seems to suffer some.

The sound of the 15s and 9s cleans up nicely with proper crossover mods and rewiring. ;)
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!