RTiA discontinued?

Options
rooftop59
rooftop59 Posts: 7,995
From the website, it's seems the reference theater line is being retired, not to be replaced. Surely this can't be right? One of the most popular lines it seems to me...
Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
Game Room 5.1.4:
Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer

Comments

• rooftop59
    Options
    Yea I get that, but is the signature series really sufficient to play the middle of the line? I haven't been a fan of the boosted tweeter in the past couple iterations of the rti line, but the midrange, bass, and build quality all seem like they might be superior to the signature, especially build quality? Mind u i haven't heard them yet...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    From what I have read (*and maybe this is just my own interpretation*)it almost seems as if they want to go back to the classic Polk sound with a midern twist-if you will (*that being tweeters that have high frequncy response to 40khz for Hi-rez music*)
  • rooftop59
    Options
    From what I can tell it doesn't say whether the signature series has real wood veneers, or how thick the cabs are? I agree that the proof is in how they sound, but build quality often has a lot to do with that...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,528
    Options
    This idea also seems to speak to the near "sacrificial" liquidation of the LSiM lineup as well, with all the F&Fs
    DSkip wrote: »
    They've shared multiple times that they are changing gears to a 'good, better, best' lineup. The T series is good, the Signature Series is better, and the best is yet to come.
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Yea that's the other thing. The LSiM seems like the best "modern" speaker Polk has ever made, but they're going to get rid of it? If they go the same direction as the signature series, the replacements will be at a lower retail than the current line, which would be fine by me, as long as they are still as good or better, which from everything I have read will be difficult to accomplish...

I agree that with the r series, t series, monitor, TSi, RTiA, and LSiM, there were WAY too many lines. But even when d-lo said that they were going good, better, best, I really was assuming ENTRY, good, better, best, with the t-series being the entry. But I guess they literally meant three lines, period.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    This is one of several factors that makes the new website so confusing to navigate - there is no identity/heirarchy to the current available lines.

If I was new to the Polk company and in the market for speakers, I'd be left scratching my head as to what is what and why.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • rooftop59
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I agree that the price of the LSiMs (when not half price) is not "affordable" to most people, and therefore doesn't necessarily fit Polk's mantra. And I also agree that affortable speakers should be easy to drive, yet benefit from moving up the chain, and the LSis (other than the 7s) were a difficult load.

Obviously this is a time of transition for Polk (and in other spheres I dare not mention), so I hope it all ends up in a good place. If they can make a speaker priced slightly higher than the RTiA line but more musical with great build quality and some innovation, that will be a great "best" line for a brand that pushes great sound at affordable prices.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,625
    Options
    From what I remember hearing, they are planning on a "replacement" for the RTiA line...

Direct replacement, probably not. I'm assuming some kind of bridge between the RTi and LSi line. I'm guessing the RTi and LSi lines are going away to make room for a newer speaker.

As Skip said, RTiA is very long in the tooth and due for retirement. The LSiM line while nice, is not selling well, unless it's half off.

Polk's line up is going to look confusing, for now. Give them some time to flesh it out and I think it's going to clear up, quickly.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    The website could still be made 'coherent' in the mean time.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Personally I think the LSiM series is pretty dang good musically as I love the sound from the 705's & 703's and think it it would take a SDA version of a new speaker to top it for me, but however they do it I would like to see them make something that sounds better then the LSiM's B)

I sold my RTiA7's to a friends for his New to him HT setup.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,524
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    They've shared multiple times that they are changing gears to a 'good, better, best' lineup. The T series is good, the Signature Series is better, and the best is yet to come.

All things come to an end eventually, and this line is surely long in the tooth.

So are they replacing the lsim?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    So are they replacing the lsim?

The feeling I get, I don't think so.

With their price point and without a better dealership network, it's hard to sell them in the volume they need to.

I have to also assume that DEI holdings might view the LSiM series as fairly redundant when they also have Definitive Technology under the same roof...

I don't think it's a coincidence that Definitive Tech seems to have cut out it's lower price point speakers and Polk seems to be leaving the higher price point behind...

It fits with the "better, best" model for the company.
  • hertz9753
    Options
    I am also interested in this topic. I haven't posted in couple of years here and I still have the vr3mods LSi9 speakers and they still sound great

I did get an award for uploading an avatar but I feel lost with the new format. :p
    AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
    Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
    Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 bi-wired(Vr3 Castle Mod)
    Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's<Onkyo TX-NR808
    Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R
  • hertz9753
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    At a boy hertz. Maybe vanilla figures if they throw you a bone then maybe you'd hang around.

On a side note how big is the difference in those modded 9's versus unmodded?

netcc2vhazre.jpg

acganp4fd9cz.jpg

It was a huge difference and it really opened up the sound with details and clarity that was not there before. They take less power to get to my normal listening level and when I want to go louder the speakers are still tight and accurate.

AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
    Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
    Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 bi-wired(Vr3 Castle Mod)
    Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's<Onkyo TX-NR808
    Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    While I enjoy my LsiM 705s immensely, they would never had been on my radar @ full price. Given the number of 50% off F&F sales they have on them, unless you are living under a rock, I can't fathom anybody paying MSRP for the LsiM. So where does that leave that line? Will 50% off become the new MSRP? Given the lack of availability in B&M stores, I don't see the LsiM line continuing unless that becomes the reality.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Yea Dave, I get that. Just like newegg sales on the monitors and psw505. Why would anyone who has any clue ever pay more than the sale price?

But I do think its interesting that (as far as I can tell) the cheapest pair of Monitor 7s was $320 in 1987. That's a little over $1200 today. Now, NOT TO GET POLITICAL, but its simply an obvious truism at this point that inflation has far outstripped wage growth for most Americans. STILL, I do find it interesting that the biggest monitors in the new signature series are cheaper than the cheapest Monitor 7s. I understand that Polk's mantra has always been great sound at an affordable price. And I also don't think that 1200-1500 bucks is affordable for most Americans for a completely unnecessary purchase, but it seems pretty obvious that the buyers are the losers here because I guarantee you Polk is still making a profit during the F&F sale. So if you want to really provide great sound at affordable prices, why not sell them for $800-1000 all the time?
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    The LSI line will probably go away. The RTI line will also probably go away. Not saying I know this for a fact, but it just makes sense. Although I personally like the looks of both, the cabinet design is dated.

I would think they would try to keep the Polk brand under the $1k range, Def-Tech can go to a higher price point.

We're a minority hear. There are probably more people with a blue tooth speaker playing from their phone, than there are people with a $1k two channel system out there. The sales are going to HT and duel purpose systems.

There are probably more people who buy speakers on size or the number of drivers, than actually listen to them. Please don't bring up vinyl, I've heard people saying it sound better than cd's looking at all in one players at Target. Again, somebody not listening. Again vinyl we're talking about a $150 table compared to a $100 BD player.

As far as pricing goes, I think the LSI M line is fairly priced. Problem with that line is nobody wants to carry them, so not many people can hear them. If you're ready to spend 3 or4k on speakers, you probably want to hear them first. I feel that way if I'm going to spend $300 or 400.

• Upstatemax
    edited November 2016
    Options
    From what has been said on this forum they are releasing a higher end speaker than the signatures.

IIRC, the signatures fall in the "better" part of their Good, Better, Best marketing.

I think the speaker in the works is supposed to replace the RTi line.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    From what has been said on this forum they are releasing a higher end speaker than the signatures.

IIRC, the signatures fall in the "better" part of their Good, Better, Best marketing.

I think the speaker in the works is supposed to replace the RTi line.

Well I agree for the most part. It seems to me, however, that the signature line is above both the monitor line and the TSi line, so hopefully the new line will be near the RTi price point, but performance and technology wise between the rti and LSiM lines.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    The new site, is very hard to navigate and is not intuitive to actually find a speaker based on price OR level of performance.

Very disappointed in how they designed this.

Are the TL2 and TL3 even available anymore?
    I could not find them. But maybe due to the site.