Re Rig Time

Options

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,524
    Options
    It's been said Joey that the P5/A21 combo play way above it's price point.

In that case, I'll be trying them soon.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,625
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »

What system, Joey?

• Joey_V
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »

What system, Joey?

I'm thinking I honestly need a system set up for the living room. I was thinking of seeing how I liked a more modest amplification system for the set up given that there will be a lot of TV watching.

I toyed with the idea of getting a sleek system for the living room and I really toyed with the D'Agostino Momentum Stereo that's on audiogon right now. I was 95% set on buying it because of the good sound, the fact that it does not take up too much space, it looks good, and it doesn't generate Class A level heat.

HOwever, with the amount of TV watching, the fact that I listen off axis most of the time, I'm not sure if the Momentum Stereo would not be overkill.

So I was thinking of trying Parasounds (P5 or JC2 with JC1 pair) for downstairs.

Would love to pair it with a pair of either of the following:

1. Magico Mini II
    2. Wilson Audio Sabrina or Sasha 1
    3. Focal 1028be/1038be

Nothing too crazy. The system can't be too big because I cannot overwhelm the wife.

I don't want a BW system downstairs because I'm saving it for my main room.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,625
    Options
    I'm thinking I honestly need a system set up for the living room. I was thinking of seeing how I liked a more modest amplification system for the set up given that there will be a lot of TV watching.

I toyed with the idea of getting a sleek system for the living room and I really toyed with the D'Agostino Momentum Stereo that's on audiogon right now. I was 95% set on buying it because of the good sound, the fact that it does not take up too much space, it looks good, and it doesn't generate Class A level heat.

HOwever, with the amount of TV watching, the fact that I listen off axis most of the time, I'm not sure if the Momentum Stereo would not be overkill.

So I was thinking of trying Parasounds (P5 or JC2 with JC1 pair) for downstairs.

1. Magico Mini II
    3. Focal 1028be/1038be

Nothing too crazy. The system can't be too big because I cannot overwhelm the wife.

Damn nice plan!

Personally, I love the Parasound and Focal combo!

• Joey_V
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »

1. Magico Mini II
    3. Focal 1028be/1038be

Damn nice plan!

Personally, I love the Parasound and Focal combo!

The Halo series look the part and look nice too! I think for the price, it's got great bones!

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    A few finishing touches..

kl2q7z047kcf.jpg
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Now that's inviting!
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Those micro pros look nice tucked away :smile:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    Options
    Nice! Them speaker stands are way kewl looking.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Options
    Unrelated question, how does your Oppo 103 compare to the SA 8004 with SACD playback? I'm thinking of a new disc spinner and these two are on my list, it would be strictly for 2-channel playback, thanks.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/164256/oppo-bdp-105-vs-marantz-sa-8004-oppo-how-i-wish-i-loved-you-but/p1
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    That's beautimus! Might have to hit the left coast before I leave. Nice rig.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Very cool! Love the LP's (and I don't mean the vinyl, though I am partial to that as well). What PUPs are on the sunburst?

I have a '72 Recording and a '60 reissue honeyburst.

Enjoy!
  • Mikey081057
    edited January 2016
    Options
    '57 classic (neck) and Burstbucker 3 (bridge) and you can split them.

Love that Honey burst...

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    nspindel wrote: »
    Unrelated question, how does your Oppo 103 compare to the SA 8004 with SACD playback? I'm thinking of a new disc spinner and these two are on my list, it would be strictly for 2-channel playback, thanks.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/164256/oppo-bdp-105-vs-marantz-sa-8004-oppo-how-i-wish-i-loved-you-but/p1

Thanks for the link Neil, very informative read.

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    A few finishing touches..

kl2q7z047kcf.jpg

You have a talent Mike, Pure Musical Paradise
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    '57 classic (neck) and Burstbucker 3 (bridge) and you can split them.

Nice! What amps/effects do you use? What genre of music is your favorite to play? As my screenname indicates, I'm partial to blues--but, play some (modern, west coast) jazz and roots/country.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    So I don't get to play much these days... But love Jazz/blues/classic rock stuff...work and travel schedule has me pretty busy these days.

I have a Mesa Boogie Mark V and don't use any effects... I also have a Peavey combo amp that has some built in effects and modeling that I can switch to.

I also have my '76 Strat Hardtail which was my first electric guitar that I bought back in the 70's. And a few others and a Uke and a nice mandolin...I have a closet full of instruments. BTW the weather sucks here today.... Cloudy and cool... I can take cool just give me sunny!

• BlueMDPicker
    Options
    Yeah, a good friend and native Floridian once visited me in DC when it was cold and gloomy for almost a week. He told me he felt almost suicidal from not seeing/feeling the sun. I thought that was a bit extreme--until I moved here!

Understand the travel schedule. Had the same issue until I retired last August. First item on my retirement to-do list was play at least an hour a day (which I have pretty much accomplished). It's good for the soul.

You have a beautiful place and gear! If you ever drift north a bit, holler at me and maybe you can drop in. We have a ton of instruments (27 guitars, 3 violins, uke, 2 trombones, Hammond B-3/Leslie 122). We are slightly nuts about music. :#
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    Options
    Yeah, a good friend and native Floridian once visited me in DC when it was cold and gloomy for almost a week. He told me he felt almost suicidal from not seeing/feeling the sun. I thought that was a bit extreme--until I moved here!

Understand the travel schedule. Had the same issue until I retired last August. First item on my retirement to-do list was play at least an hour a day (which I have pretty much accomplished). It's good for the soul.

You have a beautiful place and gear! If you ever drift north a bit, holler at me and maybe you can drop in. We have a ton of instruments (27 guitars, 3 violins, uke, 2 trombones, Hammond B-3/Leslie 122). We are slightly nuts about music. :#

Two trombones? While in my youth I had two as well. A Vincent Bach Stradivarius 16B, as my main one and a simple Bach for my tag along party instrument.
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    Well, I know you were probably not like my youngest son. But, he could break an anvil. We soon realized, when he started middle school and his instrument (a Jupiter 1032) started needing trips to the brass doctor, he needed a practice instrument as well as his good one. He plays in a jazz ensemble at his high school now and has (a little) more respect for the instrument. Time will tell if he ever moves up to something as nice as your 16B.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hey Mikey -

Here are my LP's leaning against some LP's.

w72j5yginydq.jpg
    Lps.jpg 252.9K
    Post edited by BlueMDPicker on
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Sweet... the LP bursts always look magnificent

• BlueMDPicker
    Options
    Thanks! The '72 Recording really has a ton of battle scars. I was pleasantly surprised it photographs so well. Still an absolute tone monster after 44 years.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    OK finally the Marantz 2385 is back home after a rebuild. Plugged it in and have some music playing the background.... Plugged into the Ushers sounds really sweet.... Personally (biased of course) i have never heard a better sounding receiver. I guess Saul knew what he was doing!!!

juouifw2mksg.jpg

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    glad to see you got it back. Looks great!
  • Mikey081057
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Forgot how heavy this thing is... Sounds very awesome...The Ushers seem to like the Marantz sound...

• Mikey081057
    Options
    You are welcome anytime Derrick.... They are absolutely incredible... BTW the Marantz outshines the P5/A21 Imaging wise.... maybe it's just different.... but the imaging is incredible with the 2385....

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,122
    Options
    I would love to find a way to incorporate that DMD tweeter into the SDA's
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,492
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Mike! Wow, beautiful!
    I've not heard much on these receivers' performance in hifi circles these days, mostly just the general "warm sound" with no real context, and certainly not one that's been reworked like yours. Interesting to hear that does so well compare to modern equipment.
    OK finally the Marantz 2385 is back home after a rebuild. Plugged it in and have some music playing the background.... Plugged into the Ushers sounds really sweet.... Personally (biased of course) i have never heard a better sounding receiver. I guess Saul knew what he was doing!!!
    juouifw2mksg.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,122
    Options
    All I would need is to replace that second one from the bottom as it does most of the work anyway.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson