ELAC Speakers

Options
cvc
cvc Posts: 65
Enjoyed the Newport Beach Home Audio Show this weekend very much.. Did anyone else go?.. Yes, there are speakers that cost thousands and they sound fantastic and we expect them to for that amount and of course they're hooked up to more expensive amps, cables, etc..

I tell you, one of the rooms that blew me away and everyone else was the new ELAC speakers that Andrew Jones has designed.. They're amazing and only cost $229.00.. Mr. Jones himself was in the small demo room for all 3 days explaining his design and answering any questions people asked him regarding his speakers and audio in general.. He was not only there but the one playing the music tracks for us to listen to and explaining his design philosophy and such regarding these new bookshelf speakers.. Such a great guy and easy to listen to no matter what he talked about..

These speakers and the rest of the line are still in the manufacturing stage and will be available in Sept.. Very, very impressive!

http://elac.us/peopletechnology

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Interesting....for 229 bones yet they claim no off the shelf parts, customized crossovers and drivers ? Doesn't add up in my book. Anyone who has done upgraded crossovers alone know what that costs by itself.

They may very well sound fantastic though regardless of whats inside. We shall see come Sept., I'm sure at that price point someone here will snag a pair.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • OldSchoolPolk
    Options
    Well if anybody could do it I think most here agree Andrew Jones would be the one.

Its more surprising that he went to Elac to do it. It makes sense that Pioneer could use their massive resources to produce his designs for such low price points but I did not realize Elac had the depth of manufacturing to pull of such value products. Even the tower (w/ 3 5.25" mid woofers are $279 each)

Want to hear them....
    HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • cvc
    Options
    Also, check out this video that shows how ELAC has a line of subwoofers coming out that you set up all controls using an app!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNL6u29B1V4
  • cvc
    Options
    Michael Fremer gives a big shout out to the new speakers on his latest update at Analogplanet.. Here's a great video from the weekend of Mr. Jones describing his ideas regarding the new line..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK5fKs1-Abg
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Any runmor when they actualy hit the market since its pre-oder right now?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • cvc
    Options
  • erniejade
    Options
    Best Sound (for the money): Former TAD helmer Andrew Jones is already working his renowned magic just months after joining Germany’s Elac. If the modest Debut B5 loudspeaker represents the shape of things to come, watch out! Price: $229. (Yes, that’s right, the price is NOT a typo.)

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/neil-gader-reports-on-the-show-newport-beach/
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • iskandam
    iskandam Posts: 704
    Options
    I went on Saturday. Didn't even know Andrew Jones was there, much less to debut his new Elac speakers until a friend who was working the Theta/Wilson room told me about them and gave a glowing review. I'd have to agree with everything that's been said about these bookshelves. I couldn't believe such good sound was achievable at less than 3 bills a pair.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    I kinda like the sound of the large eq subwoofer too.
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • cvc
    Options
    I never heard the sub.. Let's be clear, there was no sub used in that demo room..
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Thanks. By "I kinda like the sound of", I meant I liked the description of the features of the sub in the second video.
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    Options
    I'm actually intrigued by this for an HT scenario. Under $2000 MSRP for the whole set with all the bells and whistles? That sounds pretty nice to me.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • erniejade
    Options
    Brining this back since they should be out soon.
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    Options
    I think Andrew Jones joined Elac in Feb of this year. To develop the whole series (2 bookshelf models, center, floorstander, Atmos, and 3 subs) from the ground up, and have them ready for production and sales in 8 months is pretty amazing.

It makes me wonder if the series was already in development when he joined. That or he and his team must have worked tirelessly to pull this off.

Brilliant move for Elac to bring him in to develop a budget series on the heels of his very successful budget line for Pioneer.

I’m very curious to see/hear if these live up to the hype and set a new standard in their price class.

I wonder where these will be sold?
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    Just a FYI. Amazon has the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers For $88.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NCD2LG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
  • erniejade
    Options
    I am interested In the 6. Just from hearing what he did with the pioneer, I am really curious on them.
  • adam2434
    Options
    There will also be a second, larger floorstander (F6) out at the end of this ear.

I think I am going to pick up a pair of the B6 just to check them out and perhaps find a spot for them in the house somewhere.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
  • adam2434
    Options
    Meant at the end of this year. Duh!
  • felipe
    felipe Posts: 423
    Options
    Having owning the AJ Pio line, looks like these Debut Series will be winners for Andrew Jones..possibly besting the success and performance of th Pioneer Line??
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• adam2434
    Options
    I pre-ordered the B6 from Amazon. They are supposed to be released on Oct 1.

Given that the Pioneer AJ's swing 2-3x above their price class, I'm definitely curious as to whether the Elac Debut series will live up to the Pioneer AJ's value proposition.

AJ is also designing the next level up Elac series. I have not heard anything regarding price points and design for this new series though.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Options
    OK, whoever gets the first pair. There is a MANDATORY "review" for this forum in "your" future!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • OldSchoolPolk
    Options
    This ^^^^

Also, cnh, how did you get the info that a T6 is to be introduced later in the year?
    HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • adam2434
    edited September 2015
    Options
    FYI, there's an Elac North America thread on the AVS speaker forum. Elac's Chris Walker created the thread and posts regularly.

Looks like their next level series will be 2-3x the cost of the Debut series and will be shown at the CES. They also have 2 more series planned, as well as some electronics.

It's hard to fathom how they are cranking out so many speaker designs in such a short time period. I assume that a big part of it is that Andrew Jones' talent and experience allow for a very efficient development and design cycle.
  • bachmanr
    Options
    I'm new to this forum. I came upon your thread for Elac. Just wanted to say that I have a set of B6's on their way. Hope they sound as good as everybody that has listened to them says they are. Ray
  • erniejade
    Options
    Let us know what you think of them. What are you currently using?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Welcome Bach, do come back and tell us your experience.
    Ironically, I picked up Wheatfield Soul by the Guess Who today.
  • adam2434
    Options
    I posted some initial impressions of the B6 at AVS.

Post #206: avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2170761-elac-owners-thread-7.html
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I'm pretty intrigued about the B6's and may just order a pair just for S&G's. I mean how good can they sound for <$300 6 ohm, 87db, about the same size as an LSi9 (9's are couple inches deeper). I'm not expecting them to hang with the LSi9's but for $280 I don't know what to expect. I find myself being initially impressed with smaller speakers and then ...meh... But some have compared these to speakers costing 10 x more. From the pics tho it doesn't seem to have much in the way of looks. But beauty is in the eye (ear) of the beholder right?

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Options
    I received the B6 pair over the weekend. After break-in I will do a review. I've found that until broken in everything can change (for better or worse) so right now my thoughts are just ramblings so I'm not so worried with all the gear. I put maybe 7 hours of listening on them. My initial thoughts at first listen were:

Majestic sounding, they really filled the room with tone and were way beyond my expectations. Majestic is the best word I could come up with to convey my thoughts while listening. Controlled is the word I would have used for the Pioneers.

Center imaging was amazing. The center image was full and complete. Unlike other setups I've heard even when I turn my head the image stays in the same place and does not change sound.

Room ambience when in the recording was readily apparent. This kinda knocked my socks off as I've not experienced this level of ambience in my own room.

Midrange was way beyond what I hoped for. It didn't stick out at all but was right.

The performance with low power/low volume is far better than I'm used to. The room remains sound filled down to very low levels.

These are all areas where the Pioneers could have been better. While the Pioneers did a lot of things very well they did not have the high end "magic" these B6 seem to provide. I would have almost thought they were already broken in except for a little roughness in the lower to mid treble region and some peakiness in the midrange at higher volumes. Fit and finish is nice, looks more like black anodized brushed alluminum than the typical fake woodgrain. They look at home with higher end equipment. They are also quite big for a bookshelf.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D