Dismal USA Speaker Stand Choices

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,709
As I have been searching for a pair of Sanus Ultimate Foundations 30" speaker stands I have also been looking at alternatives as the UF stands have been discontinued. Let me side step here for a second, why would Sanus stop selling their, without question, best speaker stand and possibly the best stand sold in America??? It seems to be an American business model to make something great, sell a lot of it then decide because it's a good product that sells say, we can't have that, so let's stop making it. Mind boggling!

Anyway, I've noticed there is a dismal choice when it comes to stands sold in the US. The Sanus Steel Foundations are just ok, but their other stands are junk. Bello has nothing I would want. VTI stands are uninspired and I'm being kind. Pangea's DS300 looks somewhat promising, but the columns are not sealed and leak sand if mass loaded. Sound Anchors are just butt ugly. Core makes wooden stands that some may like, but are not for me. There's a few other lesser known brands, but again rather dismal offerings. There is Skylan, who make excellent stands, but they are not an American business.

Now, take a look at what's available in England;

http://www.analogueseduction.net/speaker-stands.html
http://www.trackaudio.co.uk/precision/precision.html
http://www.customdesign.co.uk/
http://www.norstone-design.com/en/category/11_Speaker-stands.html

And in Germany;

http://www.liedtke-metalldesign.eu/epages/64011114.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64011114/Categories/"Liedtke-Metalldesign Lautsprecherständer"

That's a whole lot of nice looking, high quality stands. Why, oh why do we not have those kinds of product here???

Perhaps I missed some good ones, so if you know of any please post a link in this thread.
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    Jazz Lovan 18".
    One of the best I've ever used.

www.lovanusa.com/product_info.php?products_id=71&osCsid=

412YRRGJdHL._SL1500_.jpg

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Why haven't you built your own? I've seen your work and think you are more than able to do so.

As far as speaker stands.....didn't you know nothing is made in the US anymore? My wife and i floated out into international waters to create our daughter.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I wondered the same thing (FWIW).

... oh... and... TMI! :-P
  • thanks for the lead. (plus I wanted to have the top 4 most recent posts)
    Mystery wrote: »
    Jazz Lovan 18".

412YRRGJdHL._SL1500_.jpg

• gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    I have the Sanus 26 Steel Foundations and for the price they worked out very good. They look good but do not take away from the speakers as I think the more expensive ones that you listed would. I got the 26's because they are rated at 35lb and I needed that for the 703's that sit on them.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Jazz Lovan 18".

412YRRGJdHL._SL1500_.jpg
    those look like a CRS stand if you did not already have a set.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Whats the big deal Jess with U.S. built stands ? Buy elsewhere, big world out there. The only way U.S. companies will get the message is when you STOP buying their junk.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    Jazz Lovan 18".

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, they look a lot like the Sound Anchors stands, which just don't do it for me.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Why haven't you built your own? I've seen your work and think you are more than able to do so.

Because I work with wood, not metal and I don't want wood stands.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    gce wrote: »
    I have the Sanus 26 Steel Foundations and for the price they worked out very good. They look good but do not take away from the speakers as I think the more expensive ones that you listed would. I got the 26's because they are rated at 35lb and I needed that for the 703's that sit on them.

I've considered the Steel Foundations, but unlike your preference I want the stands to make a statement.......what can I say B)

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    DSkip wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    Usher makes some nice stands.

Looking back, I realize now it was US built stands you were inferring about. These don't apply since they're built in Taiwan.

Thanks for the suggestion. Those Usher stands look just like the ones from Core, http://coreaudiodesigns.com/products/speaker-stands/

Like I said, some prefer wood stands, I don't.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    tonyb wrote: »
    Whats the big deal Jess with U.S. built stands ? Buy elsewhere, big world out there. The only way U.S. companies will get the message is when you STOP buying their junk.

I'm just amazed that we don't have a better selection of nice looking, high quality stands here in the US. I spoke with Sanus about why they stopped selling the Ultimate stands. They said it was because the cost to make them had become too high and that they only sold a few hundred a year. To that, we discussed and agreed that Americans in general do not seem to understand the importance of a high quality stand, hence the dismal offerings or in other words, cheap stands.

Anyway, I sent an email to Liedtke about their IQ-03 stand as I'm not sure they ship here, but I'd still like to find a Sanus UF30 as I have a pair already and love them.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I'll keep an eye out for ya , but just goes to show Americans and high end audio aren't a match made in heaven. We all want stuff at Walmart prices.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Here is a stand Wharfedale has for their Jade series, I thought they looked really good together.
    6r8h6fzz651c.jpg
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • F1nut
    Yes, I have seen that one and it is a nice, high quality stand. Thanks for pointing it out. Unfortunately for me it isn't tall enough.

President of Club Polk

• Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    Maybe local metal shop can fabricate one like you want for same or cheaper than buying a good quality one.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    F1nut wrote: »
    Because I work with wood, not metal and I don't want wood stands.

Larry, call waiting on line one...Larry! B)

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    tonyb wrote: »
    I'll keep an eye out for ya , but just goes to show Americans and high end audio aren't a match made in heaven. We all want stuff at Walmart prices.

Phooey. Americans want big, tall, proud tower speakers, not little puny things that require a stand. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I have my LSi 9's on the UF26 stands. I'll agree they are nice.

I got mine right near the end of the production of the UF stands and I was able to get them from Vanns for $200.

They are one of my pieces of gear that I'll probably never sell off...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Good luck on getting Lovan

They have actually fell of the face of the earth

2 distributors and I tried for 6 months to contact but to no avail
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Not sure if they are still available, but it doesn't say they're not.

http://www.vivedecor.net/product.asp?itemid=6016&gclid=CLuAgbWH6MMCFYGUfgod1rEAFA
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • F1nut
    Thanks, I checked with them the other day and they don't have any. There's one or two others that list them, but don't actually have any either.

President of Club Polk

• Golden opp to start up. I would.

Halen

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    I think we are just not willing to pay for quality and spaces are usually not as large in Europe. If I had to guess bookshelf speakers are big sellers across the waters. The culture is different also, they would rather pay for quality and keep it for awhile....like their homes, appliances, etc. for example. I work for an Austrian company.

Anyway, here's one from a dead American co. Soliloquy. Steep asking price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SERIOUS-AUDIOPHILE-SOLILOQUY-SPEAKER-STANDS-VERY-HEAVY-/331247027133
    soliloquy_50s_onstand.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I recently bought a pair of the 28 inch Pangea DS300s, there being very few other choices available in the US. Audio Advisor recognizes this in their marketing, and apparently in their pricing too. These things aren't really worth $199 a pair. The last pair of all metal speaker stands I bought was a pair of Parts Express stands that cost around $90. Those were very heavy gauge steel, but too short for my current need. The Pangea stands are comparatively thin cheaper steel and the powder coating is also pretty thin. They also ring like a bell. Rather than junking them, I'm modifying them. Long strips of Dynamat Extreme attached inside the columns. Spare pieces of Dynamat Extreme are attached to the underside of the base. The parts of the stand I have treated this way are dead to resonances. The untreated/unfilled stand is a joke. Audio Advisor recommends filling the first couple inches of each column with kitty litter before filling the remainder with sand to prevent leaks. I'll probably just fill the columns with kitty litter. They are already pretty heavy with the weight of the steel and dynamat, but a bit more mass loading should help. Blu-Tac on the tops to hold the speakers in place.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Banging a piece of silverware against the posts on the DS300 sounds like banging it against a hardwood post with the Dynamat treated stand, and sounds like ringing a bell for supper on the untreated stand.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I really like my Skylan stands, but they're pricey.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2