removing ground plug

Options
So my parasound HCA 1000 has a hum when plugged in normally, but it goes away if I use a cheater plug (this is the case with a lot of parasound amps from what I have read?). So does using the cheater plug basically negate the point of using a Pangea or other after market power cord? I know I should let my ears by the judge, but I am interested to hear a more scientific explanation. Maybe I should call Tony at Parasound...
Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
Game Room 5.1.4:
Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Does it negate it? Only your ears and the fact that you "know" it is there will matter. There isn't really an audiophile answer other than some of the PS Audio offerings that have removable ground pins. This feature does away with the need for the cheater and keep the audiophile nature of the better power cord intact.

The real downside to using a cheater plug with better power cord is the distance that the cheater adds at the wall outlet to an already oversized cord, making them hang loose to easily.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Is it really a good idea permanently to disable the ground?

Should be better to find and eliminate the cause of the hum.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    Options
    It's a ground loop. They generally develop when gear is plugged into different outlets and/or circuits and the easiest path to ground suddenly becomes your interconnected audio gear, no longer the circuitry in the house. If you can find a way to develop a stronger ground connection between the various outlets/circuits I believe the problem would go away.

I had this issue as well. I pulled the ground plug on my HCA-2003a and projector. Problem solved.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    You'll get many different opinions, but look at it like this. If your amp had no hum, and you used an upgraded power cord to a crappy .99 cent construction grade wall outlet, would that negate the Pangea ?

Of course not.

Try switching out the wall outlet to a hospital grade one or better. A non current limiting power conditioner would help too. Are you rca interconnects of decent quality ? You can also try running a small wire from a case screw on the amp to another case screw on another piece. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't, cost you nothing to find out though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    You can also try running a small wire from a case screw on the amp to another case screw on another piece. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't, cost you nothing to find out though.

Can't remember if I tried this last time I was hunting a ground loop problem, butni think I'll try it again!
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• jeremymarcinko
    Options
    That method worked for me when I had a ground loop issue. However since, I have moved my gear to the other side of the room which only only 10ft or so from the breaker box I no longer have a problem. As mentioned be sure all of the equipment is on the same circuit, preferably the same outlet. My problem was my Tv was grounding through my amp, traveling back through the HDMI and then through my receiver and so forth. Running a ground wire from the AVR to the Ground terminal on my Panamax created a shorter, more direct path to ground and the ground loop was thereby terminated. There is no safety issue with removing the ground pin from the power cable though because the amp is grounded through the TV or Avr (whatever unit it is physically connected to that has a ground pin). The only problem is if the Amp would short than it wouldn't send the energy to its own ground and could possibly send the high voltage through the other equipment on it's way to ground, which could potentially cause damage to your other connected components. However, with ground pin left in then any other shorted component would send it's voltage through your amp because it has the best ground. Bottom line it's okay to remove the pin from the amp's power cord or the other grounded component but not both, as long as one connected component is grounded then their isn't a safety issue.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Well this has never happened with other amps in the exact same spot plugged into the same equipment, outlet, etc., so that is why I am a bit surprised. Okay thanks guys, I'll see if I can experiment any this weekend. I have to say that I am confused about this:

There is no safety issue with removing the ground pin from the power cable though because the amp is grounded through the TV or Avr (whatever unit it is physically connected to that has a ground pin).

So are you saying that since the amp is connected to another piece of equipment that is grounded, that that grounds the amp???
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes, another piece of equipment that has a three prong, and a physical connection like interconnects, coax, or HDMI. For extra piece of mind you can always run a wire from the chassis of any piece of equipment to the center screw that holds the outlet cover on. That screw is always grounded as well. The idea is to eliminate the ground loop by creating a shorter or more efficient path to ground than the one provided by the amp. Grounding the AVR directly fixed my previous issues, and I never had to remove my ground pin from my amps power cable.
    Post edited by jeremymarcinko on
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Thanks Jeremy, very helpful!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Speedskater
    Options
    Yes, another piece of equipment that has a three prong, and a physical connection like interconnects, coax, or HDMI.
    Bottom line it's okay to remove the pin from the amp's power cord or the other grounded component but not both, as long as one connected component is grounded then their isn't a safety issue.
    This is totally and absolutely FALSE!
    The Safety Ground wire's purpose is to trip a building circuit breaker under fault (short circuit) conditions. Typical US fault currents range from 150 to 1000 Amps until the breaker trips. That's way the Safety Ground wire needs to be as large as the Hot wire. Under no conditions can you safely remove the Safety Ground.

• tonyb
    Options
    [Under no conditions can you safely remove the Safety Ground.

I suppose that's why they make power cords with removable ground pins....because they want the liability of you burning your house down.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    Options
    PS Audio PCs have removable ground pins.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    thsmith wrote: »
    PS Audio PCs have removable ground pins.

Yes they do and if it is slightly loose it will cause noise, which will drive you nuts for months trying to figure out what the h e l l is wrong. I put Loctite thread locker on mine after that *%&$#!***** episode.

Pangea has them now as well.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    The Safety Ground wire's purpose is to trip a building circuit breaker under fault (short circuit) conditions. Typical US fault currents range from 150 to 1000 Amps until the breaker trips. That's way the Safety Ground wire needs to be as large as the Hot wire. Under no conditions can you safely remove the Safety Ground.

Are we talking any grounded outlet or just those awful ground fault ones that fail all the time?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jeremymarcinko
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This is totally and absolutely FALSE!

Sure there is some safety risk in removing the ground pin. In the unlikely event something would short in the amp, the chassis could become live, but it would still trip the breaker through the interconnected equipment that has a physical ground. The audio cables are still substantial enough to handle the the current for split second it takes for the 15 to 20 amp circuit breaker to trip. In addition I have never seen an amp without a built-in fuse. The fuse will also burn and break the circuit if a short would occur. But your right, if the amp would short and the fuse failed to do its job and the interconnected cables burned up before the breaker trips and one failed to see the carnage or smell the smoke and continued on to touch the amps chassis then sure they might get a shock. Then again likely not harmful, the circuit breaker should then trip, but if it is faulty, then one may be in a bit of trouble. But 110v is generally safe unless you can't get away from it, for instance if you were standing in water and the shorted amp was too then you might be sol, which us why we have the added gfci protection in our sinks and bathrooms. So yeah your right given the right scenario removing the ground pin could be unsafe...technically. Thanks for pointing this out, I could have killed someone.

• MetropolisLake
    Options
    I view it like this... every single audio component manufacturer out there will say to NEVER bypass the ground with a cheater plug for this purpose, and given that they probably know quite a bit more than I do, its probably best to listen.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    I view it like this... every single audio component manufacturer out there will say to NEVER bypass the ground with a cheater plug for this purpose, and given that they probably know quite a bit more than I do, its probably best to listen.

What about the huge numbers of CD players, DVD players etc. that bypass a ground? Isn't that what a 2 prong plug is?

HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • tonyb
    Options

....and every manufacturer touts their audio gear as the next best thing to sliced bread, you listen to that too ?

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    CPSC and liability...have to protect those who don't know better.
  • MetropolisLake
    Options
    What about the huge numbers of CD players, DVD players etc. that bypass a ground? Isn't that what a 2 prong plug is?

If it's a floating case then you can rock a two prong plug all day long, doesn't matter. If it has a three prong plug and you purposely bypass it, that's a different story.

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Yay! Another "expert".
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • MetropolisLake
    Options
    :) What exactly do you guys think the ground wire is for anyway? It would be a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to just supply two prong plugs on everything if they do nothing but induce ground loops.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Who said they just induce ground loops ?

If it was so dangerous, cheater plugs and power cords with removable ground pins would be illegal not to mention the liability issue manufacturers would face.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • MetropolisLake
    Options
    If it was so dangerous, cheater plugs and power cords with removable ground pins would be illegal not to mention the liability issue manufacturers would face.

Peavy did a great writeup on this, I tried to post the link but it has to be approved I guess. They gravely warn against doing it, I'm assuming because they are concerned about liability. Other manufacturers as well as professors and industry groups warn against it as well. I'm just not sure why everybody takes it so lightly. They don't write this stuff to sell more products or confuse everybody. "Don't do this, you very well could die" isn't exactly the greatest sales pitch in the world.
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Geese people roll the dice everyday, don't they? Tobacco companies gravely warn about the dangers of smoking, Motorcycle companies gravely warn about the risks of not wearing proper safety gear, the weather man gravely warns us about every possible weather condition, lots of gravely warning on the side of a bottle of advil and a warning on the side of a cup of coffee, kids nowadays have to be in a booster seat until there 300lbs and 30 years old or something. I read today it isn't safe to go for an extended run without a heart monitor in case you didn't know your heart was going to explode. Come on how many years were homes built with only two prong outlets? We calculate the risk and make choices. Sure the ground pin makes it safer... we can always be safer, but removing a ground pin or using a cheater plug isn't on my list of real concerns and certainly doesn't mean an imminent death.
  • MetropolisLake
    MetropolisLake Posts: 128
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yeah I dunno, maybe the risk is overstated. I grew up in fear of electricity, my dad was an electrician, he's been shocked by 480 volts before, which is no joke. For some stupid reason I turned around and went to electrical engineering school after all that. Mistake. :) A/C freaks me out. I don't like taking risks with it.
  • MetropolisLake
    Options

....and every manufacturer touts their audio gear as the next best thing to sliced bread, you listen to that too ?

When it comes to general safety warnings where they have no reason to say what they're saying, yeah I tend to listen. It's not just manufacturers who say this either.

http://www.record-producer.com/ground-lift-what-is-it-what-do-you-do-with-it-what-do-you-do-if-you-haven-t-got-it#.VMrHxmjF9W1

"Where equipment requires an earth, it is vital to life not to disconnect it."

http://peavey.com/support/technotes/safety/shockhazard.cfm

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/why_grounding.html

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,
    The reason to have a safety ground on a power amplifier is that if the chassis doesn't have it's own path to earth ground and the AC hot becomes shorted to the chassis anyone touching it could be shocked. This would be important for professional gear that is often moved around and can receive rough handling, perhaps increasing the likelihood of internal wires becoming loose. No manufacturer is going to tell you to remove a safety feature placing themselves liable if a problem occurs. Kind of like Toyota telling you not to use your seat belts.
    If your system has humming caused by a ground loop it is best to solve the grounding problem and leave any safety ground intact. Humming is caused by either too many grounds at different voltage potentials or not enough proper grounding. Using a cheater plug should only a temporary solution.
    Ken
  • tonyb
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've used cheater plugs off and on for 20+ years with the longest time frame of 5 years continuously. Never a hiccup, shock, weird stuff happening.

Under certain conditions, like Ken suggests, it is possible for the chassis to become energized, but you have interconnecting cables to carry that to another grounded piece. Most newer gear will shut down anyway if a proper electrical circuit isn't happening. Vintage gear and higher voltage tube amps are another story. Even some SS amps have ground lifting switches built in.

A lot depends on design and voltage of a piece. Most receivers, smaller components, would be fine on a cheater plug, but higher voltage vintage stuff and tube amps would not.

Cheater plugs or removable ground pins are not a one size fits all solution and shouldn't be viewed as such.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • MetropolisLake
    MetropolisLake Posts: 128
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Under certain conditions, like Ken suggests, it is possible for the chassis to become energized, but you have interconnecting cables to carry that to another grounded piece.

The ground wire in XLR cables seems to be able to do this. When all your equipment has an earth ground, you can do a ground lift which ditches this wire, and any ground loop goes away. Or, if you have a bunch of equipment in a rack, you can ground one piece of equipment but not the others, and if they're connected with XLR cables, I think everything is still grounded and probably still no ground loop.

What I don't understand is how RCA cables work in this situation. I'm not sure they still ground everything but some people say they are. I guess if you're getting ground loops with them plugged in maybe they are. Seems to me that they would be the equivalent of both blanking out the hardwired ground as well as doing a ground lift via XLR cables, which is not grounded. I don't see how you can be truly grounded in that situation with RCA cables but I'm not sure of the difference in internal wiring of components that use XLR cables vs. RCA.