binding post jumpers

mr_natural78
mr_natural78 Posts: 82
edited November 2013 in Speakers
I just got a set of rt55i speakers finally. Picked them up pretty cheap. One of the drivers needs replaced. They are also missing the binding post jumpers. Anyone know of a place to get these? Could I just put some spade connectors on a few short pieces of speaker wire and use that? I don't see why that wouldn't work fine but wanted to ask in case I'm missing something.
Sony KDL-55EX500 TV
Sony BDP-S570 blue ray player
Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver
Front L/R: Polk RT55i
Front high: Polk RT25i
Center: Polk CS245i
Surround: Polk RT35i
Sub: Polk PSW505
Post edited by mr_natural78 on

Comments

• helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    edited November 2013
    Your idea of making jumpers with speaker wire and spades should work and sound better than the stock jumpers. Go for it!
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • mr_natural78
    edited November 2013
    I ordered the replacement driver for the rt55i yesterday. I also made some jumpers with spades on both ends and some 6' wires for them with 14awg ofc wire and banana plugs on both ends. Excited to replace the driver and put them to use!
    Sony KDL-55EX500 TV
    Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver
  • ThirdWorldGuy
    ThirdWorldGuy Posts: 39
    edited November 2013
    Could you post pictures please I want to do the same thing but have no idea on how to do it :(.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    edited November 2013
    Could you post pictures please I want to do the same thing but have no idea on how to do it :(.

This procedure is pretty much one of the easiest upgrades you can make. Have any extra speaker wire laying around???

I'm using 12awg, it's as easy as plug and screw

20131012_222031_zps412ced0a.jpg
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • ThirdWorldGuy
    edited November 2013
    Are there any connectors on the jumper cables e.g spade connector? Do they even need connectors?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited November 2013
    Geoff4rfc, by running your speaker cable thru the power port you are disrupting the carefully designed air flow and inducing unwanted vibrations to the cable itself. Also, never coil your cables. Lay them out like a snake to take up the excess length.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ThirdWorldGuy
    edited November 2013
    Excellent observation F1nut.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited November 2013
    F1nut wrote: »
    Geoff4rfc, by running your speaker cable thru the power port you are disrupting the carefully designed air flow and inducing unwanted vibrations to the cable itself. Also, never coil your cables. Lay them out like a snake to take up the excess length.

I learn something here everyday! The cable to my center channel is much longer than I need it to be. I see no other choice than to coil it, what is the disadvantage of doing so?
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited November 2013
    When you coil the wire it tends to act as an inductor and can induce unwanted noise. If you have to coil it do it in a figure eight pattern this will help cancel the noise.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • Hermitism
    edited November 2013
    Thank you! I'll give that a try.
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited November 2013
    F1nut wrote: »

Thanks, I'll make the change. I had set that up that way to take any stress off of the connections. And please, call me Geoff
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited November 2013
    How's this................

20131109_144620_zps24838bb7.jpg

• zane77
    edited November 2013
    Mo' betta'
    Home Theater
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited November 2013
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    And please, call me Geoff
    How do you pronounce that, Goof? :cheesygrin:
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited November 2013
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

Nah, I think Imma call you Sally :smile:...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • F1nut
    edited November 2013
    How's this................

Perfect! Now, all you need are some cable elevators. :cheesygrin:

You got it.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mr_natural78
    edited November 2013
    Received my replacement driver in the mail today and replaced the old one. Got them all hooked up and calibrated. Sounds killer. The rt55i are such great speakers!
    Sony KDL-55EX500 TV
    Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver
  • Hermitism
    edited November 2013
    zane77 wrote: »
    When you coil the wire it tends to act as an inductor and can induce unwanted noise. If you have to coil it do it in a figure eight pattern this will help cancel the noise.

What about power cords? Same thing or is it a non issue? My power conditioner has a long cord and it just happens to be located directly in front of the electrical outlet. So the cord is way too long.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2013
    Same thing.

President of Club Polk

• Hermitism
    edited November 2013
    That you, sir. Since the end of the year is approaching, I'd like to nominate myself for the Dumbest Noobie of The Year Award. Top prize is a speaker connection cleaning kit and a Polk hat. But since I'm a dumb noobie, I'd need instruction on how to use both. ;)
  • zane77
    edited November 2013
    Everybody starts at the beginning at one time
    Home Theater
    Two Channel
  • mr_natural78
    edited November 2013
    Hermitism wrote: »
    That you, sir. Since the end of the year is approaching, I'd like to nominate myself for the Dumbest Noobie of The Year Award. Top prize is a speaker connection cleaning kit and a Polk hat. But since I'm a dumb noobie, I'd need instruction on how to use both. ;)

lol. That's funny. :)
    Sony KDL-55EX500 TV
    Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver
  • Hermitism
    edited November 2013
    That should have read, "thank you, sir." My tablet auto corrected me.
  • mr_natural78
    edited November 2013
    freaking auto correct. I hate when my phone does that. I've send some odd texts before because of it.
    Sony KDL-55EX500 TV
    Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver