Old PS3, repair or replace?

Options
jflail2
jflail2 Posts: 2,868
edited September 2013 in Video Games
Gents:

During my move into the new house, I discovered my first PS3, tucked quietly away in a closet. I can't remember exactly what was going wrong with it, but I think it was simply the BRD drive not playing discs. This is one of the original models, with a very small 60gb HD, and rather large in size.

I've done some reading, and it looks like Sony would fix it for about $175 including shipping. I can get a new one for about 90 bucks more. Just curious if anyone has had any luck with having their PS3 repaired, or if I'd just be throwing money at a bandaid.

I hate for it to go to waste, but I also don't want to put more money into a rather old console.
2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
Post edited by jflail2 on

Comments

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Yes just replace it.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Is that one of the PS3s that also played SACDs etc.? Because you might want to rethink that if you have an "early" model. Some claim the features on those early units were a little better than the player that followed.

I'm not sure if this is true or not. Because I've never seen an early model.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • jflail2
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Sounds like folks are leaning towards replacement. CNH, I'm honestly not sure if it does or not, as I don't own any SACD's (I know, shame on me.) It was definitely an early model, and I think it did do "everything" now that I think about it.

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2013
    Options
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Sounds like folks are leaning towards replacement. CNH, I'm honestly not sure if it does or not, as I don't own any SACD's (I know, shame on me.) It was definitely an early model, and I think it did do "everything" now that I think about it.

It should say somewhere on it, I think. And also, those models had 4 instead of 2 USB ports, I believe. But if you don't do SACDs it probably does not matter.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited August 2013
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    It should say somewhere on it, I think. And also, those models had 4 instead of 2 USB ports, I believe. But if you don't do SACDs it probably does not matter.

cnh
    These fat PS3 60 gig are also backward compatible for the older Playstation games from the PS1 and PS2!!!!:smile:
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Just wait it out and get a PS4 or Xbox One?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2013
    Options
    That's still my favorite model of PS3, I would replace the drive and keep it
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Buy.com via Ebay has a new 500GB model w Assasins Creed III game package today for $229.99 shipped. Great deal! Or wait til January 1st for PS4? Long way off if you ask me? Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • rtart
    rtart Posts: 817
    edited August 2013
    Options
    If it is indeed a SACD capable machine (4 USB ports) and it is indeed the BD drive that failed, I'd consider buying a BD drive on eBAy and repair it. I've seen them for $10 to $15. Easy fix and directions on Youtube.

Here's a link to help you identify it: http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html#_Toc180147566
    My 7.4.4 DIY 4k Home Theater:
    Polk LSiM 707 L-C-R, LSiM702 side surrounds, LSiM 705 rears
    Polk RC-80i x 4 In Ceiling Atmos speakers
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Denon X3700H
    Emotiva XPA11 Gen 3
    XBox One X 4k & BD and streaming
    Panasonic UB-420 4k player
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    Oppo BD-103D for hirez audio
    Technics SL-D2 TT, Grado Gold Cartridge
    JVC DLA-RS2000/NX7 projector
    Silver Ticket 120" acoustically transparent screen
    Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    ...Or wait til January 1st for PS4? Long way off if you ask me?...
    PS4 is coming out in November. Maybe even October according to this link.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/08/14/ps4-release-date-could-beat-xbox-one-by-a-month/
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • jflail2
    edited August 2013
    Options
    So it sounds like I could do the repairs myself for much cheaper. I've found a couple BRD listings on Ebay, and it looks like it would run about 60 bucks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-PS3-PLAYSTATION-3-BLU-RAY-BLU-RAY-DISC-DRIVE-KES-KEM-400A-KES-KEM-400A-WORKS-/321181864306?pt=US_Video_Gaming_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item4ac7ee5172

And yea, I think the best route would be for me to attempt a repair at home (I built my HTPC myself, so it can't be that hard), and if that doesn't pan out, just wait for the PS4.

Thanks for the input gents. Let me know if you think of anything else.

• eeagle
    eeagle Posts: 226
    edited August 2013
    Options
    My vote is repair...the whole reason I bought a PS3 was for the Blu-Ray and SACD capability, I'm not a gamer....can't believe Sony the main champion of SACD has dumbed the new models down. Lot of repair help out there, just google.

I'll be interested to see what the PS4 has to offer.
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2013
    Options
    You still haven't told us which version you have, does it have 4 USB ports or 2?
  • Devlon
    Devlon Posts: 355
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Look on the back of your PS3 near the serial#. Is it a model CECHA01? If so you have a jewel there. That's what I have. For 130.00 Sony sent me a special shipping box. Then issued a call tag and picked it up. Repaired, and completely updated it, and then returned it in about 10 days. It has worked flawless since then. If you have a CECHA01 you want to keep it because:

1) It is backwards compatible with all PS1, PS2 games
    2) It plays SACD
    3) It has a chip card reader that plays most all camera card formats
    4) It has 4 USB ins so it can handle up to 4 players

Many consider this the best model of all the PS3's. I wouldn't worry about the 60gb hard drive either. So, you have to load a game or movie past the 60gb. No biggie. Also, larger hard drive replacements are available if needed
    Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151
  • jflail2
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Yup, that's the exact model Devlon. 4 ports, sacd compatible, the whole 9.

Ok, so maybe repair this, amd then pick up a ps4 in a few months as well. Food for thought....

• jflail2
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Following up here, anyone know of a reputable source for replacement drives? I've found a few on eBay, but have had terrible luck there in the past...also can't tell if I should go for just the laser or the whole shebang....