LSI9 Fortress Mod DIY

Options
cincycat13
cincycat13 Posts: 882
edited June 2014 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Well, I think I have voided my warranty. Picked up a set of LSI9s when they were on closeout pricing. Decided to order to the Fortress DIY from VR3. I can assure you he earns his money putting the parts together, but i just like to do things myself and like a challenge. I think I spent my free time for about a week to get to this point, Hope to solder and wire into to speakers next week.

Maybe I will get momentum and try to constuct my 1000va Dreadnaught but I still need to figure out the parts list...
Post edited by cincycat13 on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,061
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Looking good man! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • cincycat13
    edited September 2012
    Options
    So I decided to try to complete this today...

Step 1 ... I had to pull some drivers to pull the wiring harness. I was really trying to avoid this, but there was no way to solder to the crossover in place. I only had to pull the top and tweeter.

Step 2 ... solder away. The D1 / D2 negative return was very crowded, but I took my time. And managed to get the job done. I will confess that I ran the tweeter circuit to the bottom posts on one...but I was not going to redo it. They dwarf the stock unit which looks fairly well built.

Step 3 ... Off to the home depot for armacell ... I really couldn't salvage the stock binding post gasket ... and I hadn't left time for this step...oops. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Step 4 ... install. I should have taken a shot of this. I placed the tweeter circuit on the top breadboard. Unfortunately the 18 uF caps are oval and not round and I placed it beside the 12 uF cap which is even larger. I installed them to read the print. They were ALL but too wide to squeeze in. I had to sacrafice the tie strap...but they were taped and hot glued as well.

Step 5...fire em up, I did not have much time at all due to step 3 before I had to pick up my boy from school. Stacked em on the RTA15TL stands and hooked the wires. Nothing went pop...no smoke... and Kid Rock sounded like he should.

Step 6 of grabbing a cold one and getting the DSOTM bluray going will have to wait to make a review. I am VERY glad I did this myself, but I would probably pay VR3 to do them for me next time...:mrgreen:
  • VR3
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Looks great man! I lookforward to your sound impressions! :)

Enjoy! Thanks
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • snake1
    snake1 Posts: 567
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Pardon me for asking, but what is this 'fortress mod' and what does it accomplish?
    AVR - Onkyo NR809
    500gb HD for MP3 and FLAC files
    Amp - Parasound 2250 - FOR SALE BTW!! PM me if interested!
    Mains - Polk RTi12 towers
    Center - CSi5
    Surround - FXiA6's
    Sub - psw505
    Movies and games - PS3
    TV - Toshiba 52" HD

Every vehicle has one good nuetral drop in it
  • VR3
    edited September 2012
    Options
  • VR3
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Hey CincyCat

Take a picture of the binding post cups installed pretty please?? :)
  • snake1
    snake1 Posts: 567
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Thanks VR3! Good reading. I'm assuming this is a mod that only needs to be done to certain speakers since only some models are listed as it being available for them?
    AVR - Onkyo NR809
    500gb HD for MP3 and FLAC files
    Amp - Parasound 2250 - FOR SALE BTW!! PM me if interested!
    Mains - Polk RTi12 towers
    Center - CSi5
    Surround - FXiA6's
    Sub - psw505
    Movies and games - PS3
    TV - Toshiba 52" HD

Every vehicle has one good nuetral drop in it
  • VR3
    edited September 2012
    Options
    The models listed are speakers I have personally performed.

The plates will work on any Polk speaker made in the past 10+ years by Polk sporting a bi-wire terminal cup.

Truth be told, just about every speaker can benefit from some type of crossover modification. I have worked on a set of RTIA9 and a CSi5 - all were extremely pleased with the results, just as an example!

http://vr3mods.com/CastleRTiA9.php
    http://vr3mods.com/CastleCSiA5.php
  • cincycat13
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Here ya go VR3. I didn't have time to take photos today. Its IMPOSSIBLE to get a good shot in the basement which requires a flash, but you asked so here ya go...
    aa.JPG 193.1K
    bb.JPG 167.6K
  • VR3
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Man oh man those look AWESOME!! Thanks!

Thats a solid design if I do say so myself!! :)
  • Hobbyguy
    Hobbyguy Posts: 317
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Thanks for the post! Just got my VR3 mod and will be building soon.
  • cincycat13
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Hobbyguy wrote: »
    Thanks for the post! Just got my VR3 mod and will be building soon.

Good luck and take your time. I think I blew up VR3's email for a couple of days. Feel free to shoot a PM if you want to hear about more errors I made...
  • VR3
    edited September 2012
    Options
    It is pretty cool to see you guys enjoying the kits!

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,815
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Those plates are cool Trey, but I'm wondering one thing. Do you think you could make the +/- any larger? :razz:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    edited September 2012
    Options
    LOL!

I dont want anyone getting confused! :-P
  • Hobbyguy
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Finished!!! Much Thanks to this thread and VR3!
  • VR3
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Hey now, wheres the pics of those carbon fiber boards??? :-P
  • Hobbyguy
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Here are a few pictures
    IMG_1611.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1609.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg

I Used 14 AWG PTFE solid core silver. Made holes through the boards...hope this does not weaken them!!! If Anybody sees any errors please let me know. So far the mod is working really well!!!
  • Hobbyguy
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Changed my mind on the CF boards....was going to be too much effort!!
  • Hobbyguy
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Also did not remove any of the drivers. Labeled all of the output wires (D1+, D1-, T+, T-, D2+, D2-) so i would not get lost/confused. Soldered the output wires to T then D1 and finally D2. I could start pushing the Xo into the housing and this gave me the length to keep soldering. If I ever remove these I will have to remember to unsolder otherwise wont be able to get the XO out.
  • VR3
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Looks great man!

I cant spot any errors!

Write a review when you have a chance!
  • cincycat13
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Very kewl. Glad to hear you got it done without pulling the drivers. I really wanted to, and I had labelled them on the removal as well, but I just ran out of hands trying to strech the wire and hold it in place. I like your binding post wires thru the boards...clean look.
  • parimento1
    parimento1 Posts: 15
    edited September 2012
    Options
    They don't make this mod already done, right??
  • VR3
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I can modify them for you, yes - preassembled, no. I could theoretically lay out and solder all of the pieces except the hook up wires and inductors... Vr3Mods@gmail.com
  • Hobbyguy
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Thanks Cincy....would not have been possible without yours and and Treys pictures to go by. I have very little experience in electronics. As for the modification. I think this is an extremely well thought out DIY kit. Even with my yammy amp, the speakers seem to give a 3d feel to the sound. I can hear sound details from movies that I could not hear before. Watched an episode of the pacific last night and was extremely pleased with the upgrade. Definitely money well spent. Have not tried these with my Dodd preamp/dynaco mk III amps yet. Looking forward to hearing what they sound like with a better amp.
  • VR3
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Wait till about 250 hours, huge improvement with break in!!

Enjoy!
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Taking the plunge.... I thought this would be an easy way to upgrade the crossovers (assuming I can read the instructions :biggrin: ).

I saw that Trey was selling kits (unassembled) on Ebay for a nice price and decided to grab a set (direct from here though). Can't wait to try them out and hear the improvement. I'll post my thoughts after I received them, install them, let them burn in, etc.

Thanks Trey.
  • VR3
    edited October 2012
    Options
    No No, thank you sir :)
  • slider2828
    slider2828 Posts: 118
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Trey! I am glad everything is going well!! I did this as a DIY kit with Trey about 6 months ago....

Still sounding great and never looked back..... Modding is like a drug I tell you.... I am still itching to do the rest of the surrounds, but alast its very pricey. I am still loving it and definitely can't wait!

I hope people post back on their listening and what they think. I think the biggest difference and where Fortress Mod shines are when hooking up a DAC to it....

Thanks for all the support Trey when I was building it!
  • VR3
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback and glad to hear you are still enjoying them!! :-D