Aural Thrills Audio Phono Pre

Options
quadzilla
quadzilla Posts: 1,543
edited August 2010 in 2 Channel Audio
Picked it up this afternoon. I've attached a picture of the phono section opened that Tom sent me while it was still on his bench. I'll do more pics and the power section later. I have to say, even not being broken in at all, the sound is really impressive and a perfect match for the rest of my set up. Running analog direct, the level of detail, the air around each instrument, the extension, the tightness of the bass, the depth of the sound stage, all are incredible. It was a real bargain at the price I paid, too. All I need now is an Emission Labs 274B and time to break it in.
Turntable: Empire 208
Arm: Rega 300
Cart: Shelter 501 III
Phono Pre: Aural Thrills
Digital: Pioneer DV-79ai
Pre: Conrad Johnson ET3 SE
Amp: Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000
Cables: Cardas Neutral Reference
Speakers: SDA 2.3TL, heavily modified
Post edited by quadzilla on

Comments

• quadzilla
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Now that I'm getting a few hundred hours on the caps and other components, it's time for a bit more of a review and a few more pics.

First, Tom at ATA was great to work with. He answered all my questions and helped me make decisions on a completely custom, hand-built, phono stage. As you can see in the first pic, the signal path consists of Mundorf S/O as the output coupling, along with Sonicaps and silver mica caps in the passive RIAA section, with Mills resistors. Electrolytics are used only for the radio frequency filtering, which is outside the signal path. Everything except the Mundorfs are part of the standard 100 dollar upgrade (normal price for the stage is 899, 999 for the upgraded version). Those ran an extra 200 on top of the upgrade. I also decided to go with a choke input on the 274B rectified power supply, and a linear power supply instead of a switching after talking to Tom about the pros and cons of each. I'm also now running his recommended Amperex 12AX7s, which I really like. Into this, I'm running an Empire 2x8 fitted with a Rega arm that's been heavily upgraded and a Shelter 501 Mk II cart using a Baerwald (sp?) alignment for Rega arms. The phono IC comes from the Cardas DIN to custom solid silver cables w/ WBTs, and out from the pre via a custom cable that's a single silver and a single copper 28 ga. OCC strand twisted together w/ DH Labs RCAs and cotton insulators. That feeds out into my Pio SC-05 and out via analog direct into my Mackie's then to my RTi12s @ 850 wpc. So that's the setup.

The sound is very balanced, with many good qualities, and no bad ones that I can hear. The sound stage is quite wide and deep, and instruments have a very nice space, but they sound neither big nor pinpoint. Instead, instruments sound life-sized. Vocals have a good weight to them, and it's very easy to count the number of singers when multiple vocalists come in. A good example of this is the 2nd track on Jackson Brown's Running On Empty, where there's a close harmony between 3 male vocalists. On my old Parasound, I thought it was a weird mix where Jackson's voice was spread all the way across the sound stage. After hooking up the Aural Thrills Audio stage, I was able to discern that it was actually 3 different vocalists in close harmony, with Jackson mixed center, and one voice mixed into the left channel, and one into the right. Female vocals also receive very good treatment. Ella and Aretha are even more engaging than ever. It's especially fun picking out which vocalists have good mic technique, and which one's tend to lean into and away from the mic while singing. Cymbals ring for a ridiculously long time through even the densest tracks, and have plenty of that brassy shine to them that you hear if you strike a cymbal yourself. It's even easy to discern where on the cymbal it's being played, down to how far from the bell the drummer is striking it, and exactly which type it is (ride, china, etc.). Drums have amazing slam, with a deep, tight bass. I find myself listening to Rolling Stone Under Cover just to listen to the drums. Also easy to hear is the ring of the drum head after being hit, as well as the transient from the strike. Bass guitars and bass violas, whether plucked or bowed, sound fantastic. Deep, lots of overtones, just like they're in the room. Acoustic guitars (and all wood-bodied instruments) again sound very realistic. Picking out a small bodied acoustic, or a dreadnought, etc., all are quite readily distinguishable. Violins and other stringed classical instruments have a very slight sweetness to them, but again, the wood of the body is clearly distinguishable especially during solo passages, but also during denser passages. Horns all have their own proper sound, and the breath of the player can easily be heard when wind or reed instruments are present. It's especially fun to listen to pieces with both flutes and piccolos present, since the tonal differences are so readily apparent. Finally, piano pieces sound excellent, right down to the hammer striking the strings. So in short, this pre wasn't cheap, but it's an excellent value. I can't wait to see how it sound after another 200 hours.

And now, the pics.....
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2010
    Options
    It's MUCH prettier from the top. :D

Enjoy!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I own some of Tom's Silver and copper "Air" XLR and RCA interconnect cables. They are very very good. I can only imagine what the pre-amp sounds like. It must be very very good as well. Congrats on the new aquisition.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Reported.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited July 2010
    Options
    It is very pretty but my eyes of course went right to your turntable. That's the first Empire TT I've ever seen. I googled Empire TTs and there are quite an assortment of them on the net. I would love to get my ears on the phono pre. . . and the table.
  • quadzilla
    edited July 2010
    Options
    It is very pretty but my eyes of course went right to your turntable. That's the first Empire TT I've ever seen. I googled Empire TTs and there are quite an assortment of them on the net. I would love to get my ears on the phono pre. . . and the table.

If you ever make it down this way, let me know. I still need to go back and clean up the riser I made for the Rega and try to make it pretty, hard to do that when I'm listening to it though :) Not to mention that 7075 Al turned out to be a lot tougher to work with than I thought it would.
  • doctorcilantro
    doctorcilantro Posts: 2,028
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Glad she's singing. Sounds like a great piece.
    For Sale 2019:
    Tortuga Audio LDR passive preamp
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes
    iFi iDSD DAC, .5m UBS, iFI Gemini cable, Oyaide Tunami XLR 1.3M, Oyaide Tunami Speaker wire 1.5M, Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones, PS Audio P3 power center

• TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    It's MUCH prettier from the top. :D

Enjoy!
    Indeed!
    :cool: T. table
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • danr
    danr Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Hi Quadzilla, hey I'm new here and I will be ordering the 274B phono preamp tomorrow and was wondering if you could do me a favor? Can you measure the height of the power unit including the 274B rectifier tube, I may be pretty tight on space where I want to put this in my rack. Also any further thoughts or impressions now that you have had the unit running for about a month now? Thanks in advance!

Dan