DIY Record Cleaner with a Technics TT

Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
edited January 2013 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Well I thought this should have it's own thread. I got a Technics Turntable that I am turning into a Record Cleaning Machine. Now I know I will get some crap for doing this to this table but I could care less:cool: I have been looking for a TT on the cheap to give this a shot, and low and behold I got 2 of these TT's for $30 so this project is costing me very little to try out.

As you can see I have taken out the Tonearm and put in place a piece of plastic that I turned on the lathe. I also went to home depot for some PVC parts to make a couple of pickup tubes. you can also see on the bottom where the vacuum will hook up to.

I am also building a cabnet at work that will have a door on the front to house the cleaning supplies and vacuum, it will also have a piece of smoked plexiglass for the top to cover it. I will post pics as it gets under way.

I have a ways to go but this will give you an idea.

DIYRecordCleaner003.jpg
DIYRecordCleaner002.jpg
DIYRecordCleaner005.jpg
DIYRecordCleaner004.jpg
DIYRecordCleaner006.jpg
Post edited by Toolfan66 on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Wow really cool project Larry. You may want to consider using delrin for the vacuum tube. This way you won't have to place any velvet or felt on the underside to protect the record. The delrin being a first cousin to vinyl can make contact with the record without damaging it.

Just a thought.
  • Toolfan66
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Wow really cool project Larry. You may want to consider using delrin for the vacuum tube. This way you won't have to place any velvet or felt on the underside to protect the record. The delrin being a first cousin to vinyl can make contact with the record without damaging it.

Just a thought.

Thanks!! I did not know that, I will look into it for sure.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    edited February 2010
    Options
    You might also want to consider removing the Direct Drive motor from below the platter and fitting it with a belt driven setup so as not to create a deadly combination similar to a toaster in the bathtub.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2010
    Options
    You might also consider selling your original Technics TT for several hundred dollars to someone who will actually appreciate it, and buying a real record cleaner.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Toolfan66
    edited February 2010
    Options
    You might also want to consider removing the Direct Drive motor from below the platter and fitting it with a belt driven setup so as not to create a deadly combination similar to a toaster in the bathtub.

Not worried about it I will have the underside of the platter sealed , plus it's not like I will be pouring the cleaning solution all over the place.
  • Toolfan66
    edited February 2010
    Options
    nadams wrote: »
    You might also consider selling your original Technics TT for several hundred dollars, and buying a real record cleaner.

Yeah i figured a comment like this would come along. God forbid someone just have a little fun in this hobby and try doing things for the hell of it.:rolleyes:

Not that it matters but I gave the other TT to Ben knowing I could have sold it for a couple hundred. Money is not the issue here having fun is. if it works great if not I plan to buy a RCM.

Peace.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Yeah i figured a comment like this would come along. God forbid someone just have a little fun in this hobby and try doing things for the hell of it.:rolleyes:

A real record cleaner will make the LP's played on your Fisher Price "My First Record Player" sound much better.

Why would you use a TT valued at several hundred dollars for this project, instead of getting a throwaway and destroying that? I don't care what you paid for the TT's from the Goodwill or wherever... the point is you're destroying a GOOD turntable.

Building your own LP cleaner? I have no problem with that! The more the merrier... just don't destroy a good, valueable TT to do it. Maybe yours and my opinions of valueable differ. You already gave one of these away, after all.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Toolfan66
    edited February 2010
    Options
    A real record cleaner will make the LP's played on your Fisher Price "My First Record Player" sound much better.

Why would you use a TT valued at several hundred dollars for this project, instead of getting a throwaway and destroying that? I don't care what you paid for the TT's from the Goodwill or wherever... the point is you're destroying a GOOD turntable.

Building your own LP cleaner? I have no problem with that! The more the merrier... just don't destroy a good, valueable TT to do it. Maybe yours and my opinions of valueable differ. You already gave one of these away, after all.

The thing is if it don't work all I have to do is solder one wire put the tonearm back in and what do you know a TT that works just as it did when I took it apart. it's my TT anyways why the hell would you care?
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited February 2010
    Options

+1
    +2
    +3
    I cannot agree with this project at all.
  • Toolfan66
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I don't believe I was out asking for anybody to agree with it. Im having fun with it so thats all that matters. and like I said I can always put it back together in the end.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Have fun Larry. I am just glad you did not use that Rega;)

That will be one fine RCM when your done.

Need any Triton X-114, it is a surfactant?
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • Toolfan66
    edited February 2010
    Options
    thsmith wrote: »
    Have fun Larry. I am just glad you did not use that Rega;)

That will be one fine RCM when your done.

Need any Triton X-114, it is a surfactant?

I would have never used that Rega, That i would have put in the rig.

Does the Triton work well? I don't know much about it.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited February 2010
    Options

Not that it matters but I gave the other TT to Ben knowing I could have sold it for a couple hundred. Money is not the issue here having fun is. if it works great if not I plan to buy a RCM.

Peace.

Having fun in this hobby is absolutely NOT allowed! This is a serious hobby equally important to saving the baby seals and preventing global warming. :p:D
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Works great for me and I have given to others here and a couple of friends and they seem to like it.

I empty out 16oz of distilled water, add 16oz of alcohol and 3-6 drops of Triton. Records sound great and I never find build up on my cart using a microscope.

http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited February 2010
    Options
    That is going to be the sexiest LP cleaner around....nice job on the 'bushing' :D
    Can I hire you to make me one, when the time comes? Unless of course I have a lathe by then.....

FYI: there is some great links in the thread about Ben building his... (started with someone giving the TT to him) I tried to find it but gave up after looking back 12 pages of his post...sorry I thought I had it 'bookmarked'

One of the links talked about remote locating the vacuum, to get rid of the 'jet engine'.
    Might be something to consider...I am definitely doing that...

It'll be nice to see what else you 'innovate'
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Larry,

You can get a bottle of VPI record cleaner concetrate for $20 bucks, add it to a gallon of distilled water and be done with it. I like Tracy's idea but I don't like the idea of alcohol in that ratio going onto vinyl. I know Tracy has had luck with his but I don't know I just recoil from that much alcohol.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VPRCMCON

You might be able to get it cheaper elsewhere.

I use the VPI cleaner before I play each record and it doesn't require a rinse.

Just my humble opinion.
  • HB27
    HB27 Posts: 1,518
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Cool Project!!!!!!!!!!
    I was sitting here thinking about doing the same thing. I've got an old Garrard with 16, 33, 45, and 78 speeds on it. That way time constraints would all but be eliminated if I were pressed for time in cleaning. MORE Power, faster, faster.
    I do have a VPI cleaner but I love the looks of homebrew and the idea of a bit of ingenuity.
    Harry
  • kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited February 2010
    Options
  • Toolfan66
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Came in the mail yesterday.;)
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Cool it's nice to know that there is more than empty space on the internet! LOL!!!:D
  • Toolfan66
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Today I got a chance to get this off the laser, formed, and tack welded together. With this project and my 1C's I have my hands full.

We are so busy at work I don't get the chance to run some of the things I want to as my job is to keep the jobs going out the door. it's hard to run things that are not making the company money. as a mater of fact I have to work all weekend as well.But I am going to get to work early in the morning to weld and grind my cabnet so I can send it to paint next week.

RCM004.jpg
    RCM005.jpg

I will have a smoked lexan top that will cover it when not in use as well as a shelf inside the door for my cleaning products..
  • Toolfan66
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    WoW! That's looking killer, Larry. Hurry up and finish it. I can't wait to see how this turns out. What color are going to paint the cabinet?

Thanks!! Not sure about the color yet, I will be giving Brad a visit at the paint shop to see what he has. I am thinking just a Black or White..
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited March 2010
    Options
    looks great man!
  • hearingimpared
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Larry, that is friggin awesome and really pretty too. You're a talented guy buddy.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2010
    Options
    brushed black anodized finish with some cool etchwork on it would look great. Fantastic work Larry!

• Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Nice sheetmetal work. Are you going to mig or tig it? I used to program a laser back in late 80s-early 90s using APT. Lots of fun for all.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Toolfan66
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Nice sheetmetal work. Are you going to mig or tig it. I used to program a laser back in late 80s-early 90s using APT. Lots of fun for all.

Thanks!! I will tig it,for one it's fun second it's a lot easier to grind..;)
  • Toolfan66
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Cool, keeping it simple...Is it completed enough to do any cleaning yet?

I could if I hooked it all up but I will wait till it's all done.;)
    zarrdoss wrote: »
    looks great man!

Thanks Kevin, so how are things out your way? PM me..
    Larry, that is friggin awesome and really pretty too. You're a talented guy buddy.

Thanks Joe!! I am looking forward to getting it up and running maybe by next weekend. You know I will post some pics when it's done.
    brushed black anodized finish with some cool etchwork on it would look great. Fantastic work Larry!

This is 16 gauge steel, you can only anodize aluminum. I am sure I will just go with a Black Smooth Or Black Texture powder coat.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Man that looks nice! Glad to see that your having fun with this. What are you going to use for your vacuum supply?

I'd love to have you build me a cabinet for my VPI 16.5 cleaning machine ;):p:D
    Carl

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Great looking work.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.