Upgrades for Anthem Pre1L

Options
thsmith
thsmith Posts: 6,082
edited December 2009 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
OK, I have my ANthem Pre 1L. I would like to upgrade the caps and resistors that will make a difference. My Anthem AMP 1 already had the caps and resistors upgraded using Mundorfs when I bought it.

I have a schematic for the PRE 1L but I have no idea which ones to change out.

I can email the schematic if someone has expereince understanding which I should change out.

Also should I go with Mundorf since that is what my AMP has ?

Thanks
Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
Post edited by thsmith on

Comments

• NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Which Mundorfs are in the unit now? Silver/oil Silver/gold Supreme ? I guess there are more but if you have S/O or S/G they should be just fine.
  • thsmith
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Silver/gold Supreme I believe
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,886
    edited December 2009
    Options
    contact gary dodd in garland.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Digital cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2 bnc, Tellurium Q aes, Silnote Audio Poseidon Signature 2 bnc
    Puritan PSM156
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2009
    Options
    It takes one hour to replace the main caps for the L&R channels if you know what you're doing. That's the best and only mod you should even worry about. I've owned 3 of those pre-amps in various dresses, one of which was modded by Gary Dodd. That's straight from the man himself.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • NJPOLKER
    edited December 2009
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    It takes one hour to replace the main caps for the L&R channels if you know what you're doing. That's the best and only mod you should even worry about. I've owned 3 of those pre-amps in various dresses, one of which was modded by Gary Dodd. That's straight from the man himself.

I agree with you except it does not take anywhere near an hour to replace the two caps. After I had the top off it took no more than 15 minutes. I think it took more time to remove all those screws than to replace the two caps.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I'm using a generic time period Rocketboy....you should put that on your resume'.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • NJPOLKER
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I have been called many things but never "Rocketboy" thats a good one.

Does that have to do with the rocket that I get in my pocket when talking with you?

Generic? Kind of rounded up a little huh? :p

I am thankful to you/Doro and Phiper/Rich for my Anthem PRE2L. Mark for the recommendation and Rich for selling it to me.
  • thsmith
    edited December 2009
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »

I have the schematic, would you or anyone be able to look at it and tell me which caps to replace? I can do the work just not sure which cap to replace.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2009
    Options
    If you pop the top on it, they stand out like a sore thumb, on the left side.

NJ - ;)
  • thsmith
    edited December 2009
    Options
    kewl. I will do. Here is an attempt to take the schematic in PDF and made JPG put it is too hard to read.
  • thsmith
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Here is some pics of the ANthem with the cover off. Are the 2 caps I need to replace the yellow 2.uf?
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Yes.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Whatcha' gonna' replace em' with :cool:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • thsmith
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Dorokusai, thank you. Since my Amp already has Mundorf Silver/Gold caps it seems to make sense to use those for the pre as well.

ANy flaws in my thinking ?

For the money should I look at something else?
  • george daniel
    edited December 2009
    Options
    these are pretty good
    http://www.vhaudio.com/v-cap.html

but who can afford them,, I have some of his lesser expensive caps in my pre,they are velvety smooth to my old ears,,very transparent also.
  • thsmith
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Yeah at $459 for one that is more than I have in the pre with the AMperex tubes.

WHich lesser ones do you have ? The V-Cap OIMP Series ?
  • george daniel
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Yes,,I installed a pair in the Wright (OIMP's).Chris is extremely helpful,prompt replies,advice etc.He really worked with me on my purchase, installation and followed up afterwards.
  • thsmith
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Thanks George. Price looks good and was reading some some good stuff about their caps.
  • thsmith
    edited December 2009
    Options
    NJPOLKER wrote: »
    I agree with you except it does not take anywhere near an hour to replace the two caps. After I had the top off it took no more than 15 minutes. I think it took more time to remove all those screws than to replace the two caps.

NJ, did you remove the main PC board and desolder the cap and resolder the replacement.

Looks like a bit of work and was thinking of cutting the old cap leads and solder the replacement cap onto to them.

Thoughts ?
  • thsmith
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Pull the trigger on (2) 1.uf V-cap oils not teflon, teflon is too rich for my blood.

CHris at vhaudio is great to deal with.

Here is his suggestion with going to 1.0uf vs replacing the 2.0 uf.

"You could easily save yourself some dough and put in a 1 uF cap, if feeding into a 100K Ohm load. That would give a -3db corner frequency of
    1.59 Hz. I typically recommend using a -3db frequency of 1/10th the desired actual LF response, in order to account for non-linearities running at the ragged edge of the cap's LF limit. I also recommend using the smallest cap possible to obtain this frequency, since less material will be in the signal path = better transparency vs. a larger value. Note that most manufacturers use much larger value caps because they do not know what their customers amp impedances are, and must use a value that will universally "work" with most fot he equipment out there. You have the luxury of knowing in advance what your approximate input impedance is, and therefore can tweak accordingly."

No idea what that means but lets see how it goes.
  • george daniel
    edited December 2009
    Options
    told ya' ;):)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,003
    edited December 2009
    Options
    thsmith wrote: »
    no idea what that means but lets see how it goes.

lol......
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• thsmith
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Thanks George for the recommendation. I bet Chris and I exchanged 6 emails.

I would love to hear the teflons but dang.

I almost went with the Mundorfs and may try them out in the future.

Rolling caps, this is just getting sick, in a good way.
  • thsmith
    edited December 2009
    Options
    ANyone thinking of upgrading caps should definately contact Chris. While you will not be able to reach him by phone as he states on his website, his email commincation is fast and very helpful.

I would love to try his tftf caps.

ANyway, my oimp caps shipped today, time to drag out the iron.

Thanks again George and NJpolker for the help on this little project.
  • thsmith
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Caps installed, easy peasy ! Have sound, scratch that, have great sound. Not sure how to describe it but the bottom end has punch like a SS and much faster.

Anyway, here's the evidence.

Again, CHris is fantastic !
  • george daniel
    edited December 2009
    Options
    nice work--IIRC mine started to open up after 100 hours or so.
  • thsmith
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Thanks George, putting as much time on them as possible. I am really impressed with Chris and his recommendations and his patience with a dummy like myself.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited December 2009
    Options
    George,

What are those two big white caps near the transistors with the heat sinks? Are they in the signal path?
    Carl

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2009
    Options
    How would you describe the difference in sound? I was thinking about trying these out.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • thsmith
    edited December 2009
    Options
    The more I listen to them which has been 2 CDs and 1 album, I am still finding the lower end to be fast and authoritive. The highes have not changed to much, maybe a bit airier.

I know they will get better with some time but out of the box I am very pleased with the sound. Even after putting ion some decent tubes I still felt like this pre made sound a bit thin. That is gone now.