Bi-wiring/Bi-amping SDA's

DarqueKnight
DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
edited April 2003 in Speakers
Are there any SDA SRS owners who run their speakers in a bi-amped or bi-wired configuration?

If so, what cables, amps, and SRS model(s) do you use?

What improvements do you hear compared to the "standard" wiring configuration?
Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
Post edited by DarqueKnight on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited April 2003
    2.3TL's bi-wired with MIT MH-750 Shotguns, powered by a Sony TA-F808ES integrated, Class A, A/B. I was running MIT "standard" wires with a older Sony ES pre and amp, but they were having problems, so until I save enough pennies for some Bryston mono's and a CJ pre, I put the above together. I never had a chance to run the "standard" wires with my present set up and vice-versa, so I'm not sure this will help you. I can say that my present set up blows away the old one in detail, soundstage, a smoother top end and a faster, deeper bottom end. I have no doubt that the integrated is a much better unit than the older seperates, so that's got something to do with it and the Shotgun's are levels higher than the old wire, so that's got something to do with it also, but how much I can't say. After reading Henry's post on the advantages/disadvantages of using bi-wires, I still believe it's the way to go.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• soupbone
    soupbone Posts: 104
    edited April 2003
    SRS1.2TL Biamped with two Aragon 2004MKII amplifiers. An Assemblage L1 preamp. It's been so long since I only used one amp that I can't remember how much of an improvement biamping has made. The sound is great. I also have added an Energy 18 inch sub. This takes the pressure off of the mid-woofer amp and really makes for a clean sound. Almost like What was done with the SRT system.
  • kelley
    kelley Posts: 287
    edited April 2003
    I run 3.1tl's with Dennon 6600's on the bottom and 4400's for the top. I used to use Transparent Audio cables but went with unterminated Monster Cable so I could shorten the cables up to a couple feet since the amps set close to the speakers. Too much cable running around. I feel bi-amping opened things up, but I also think it's well into the "law of diminishing returns".
    SDS-400, SDA-1B, SVS 20-39pc+, B&K Ref 50, Denon 2900
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited April 2003
    This is an age old question that'll stir up different answers and emotions from different people. Maybe the best advice I could give would be to try it yourself and see (hear) what you think.
    You can rent cables if you want... Can you borrow any equipment from a friend? Do you have a friend with a system they would set up a couple different ways for you to audition? If so, do you hear a differance in their's. Obvious, subtle, nothing?
    Do you want to do a verticle or horiziontal bi-amp configuration? What's the level of the electronics you are using? Are you a criticle listener?

It's been too many years since I've had a main system that wasn't biwired and bi-amped, I couldn't tell you how much of a differance it would make if I stripped it down into a basic setup. And I'm not about to do so at least at this time...
    I can tell you that each stage of development did bring about pleasent changes in sound quality.

You posted this same question in our Yahoo group, "McGowan Brothers SDA site", so I decided to post one answer here. (And I haven't been in there or here in a long time.)

As you will find in the photo folder labled Bob McG's main stereo system, I'm horizontally bi-amping with a pair of Hafler 9505 Diablo amps which in turn are biwired to a pair of SDA-SRS 2.3's by a 4' pair of AudioQuest double biwire Dragons connected to two pairs of Vampire Wire's best gold posts.

It seems to me SDS's love (need?) and thrive on (require?) lots of CLEAN power to really perform well. Having ample clean watts in reserve (dbs headroom) is a good idea. Using a good amp per channel can give very pleasing results....but don't take my word for it, try it if you can.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2003
    Nice to see you here Bob,
    I have never biwired but I have tried biamping. Seems better than a single amp. A little cleaner. I also tried biamping + using a Nikko crossover which is supposed to be pretty good. With the crossover I found that it is best with SDA's to allow some overlap of the crossover frequencies. Unfortunatly with the Nikko I could not do that and found that using no external crossover was better. (In this case anyway). It is definatly worth trying!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D