Options
Tour2ma
Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
edited February 2003 in Music & Movies
Rock and Roll Reminiscing

02 Feb 2003 --- LOTW is “D”

Aside from late "B's" post:
To All RNR Reminisers,
Anybody open to loaning some of their listings for trial listens before we all start spending bucks? Could swap addresses via e-mail. CD's no problem for me to loan (at least so long as nobody I send to is one of those “green sharpie freaks" ); as for my vinyl I'd be willing to loan C-90's, or some such arrangement.
Just a thought, 'cause I think we are starting to hit some chords here on our recommendations and it could get kinda expensive by the letter Z, especially if we buy recommendations that're OK, but turn out to be really not our thing...
Let me know...

We now return you to our regular LOTW kick-off post.
For what this is about and some guidelines please click on the following link:
http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7234
Yes, it’s a long post, but please read, if you participate.

This week we are only discussing artists whose last name, and groups whose name begin with the letter “*”.
Note: The word “The” doesn’t count, so for example “The Allman Brothers Band” belongs in the "A's" discussion and not in the “T’s” (guideline #5).
When possible, please supply complete title, format, company, year and catalog number when posting recordings.

And so our 26-week odyssey continues… Hope you come along for the ride… ;)
More later,
Tour...
Vox Copuli
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
Post edited by Tour2ma on

Comments

• Paul Connor
    Paul Connor Posts: 231
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Dylan.

Top three albums:

Blood on the Tracks. My personal favorite. Still have my original lp and play it often. recently purchased a sealed back up copy just in case.

Blonde on Blonde. Certainly one of Dylan's finest hours. My personal number three favorite.

Highway 61 Revisited. This may have been his best ever. Number two on my Dylan favorite list.

For anyone just getting in to Dylan's music, these are an excellent place to start.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited February 2003
    Options
    DELANEY & BONNIE & FRIENDS WITH ERIC CLAPTON
    1970 ATCO/east west Japan AMCY-2766 CD

Members included Dave Mason, Jim Gordon, Bobbys Keys & Rita Coolidge. A must have for any rock collection, it just flows along ending with a Little Richard medley.

DIRE STRAITS - BROTHERS IN ARMS
    2000 JVC XRCD2 Hong Kong 5483572 CD

The genius of Mark Knopfler. The hit song "Money for Nothing" was suppose to be about Prince, "See the little **** with the earring and the makeup, Yeah buddy that's his own hair, That little **** got his own jet airplane, That little **** he's a millionaire." But, most of the songs are slow, kinda sad/blue ballads with the whole package resulting in one of the most unique styles of rock, it's seductive.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Well there are several "Ds" worth mentioning but I will start a little off the beaten path:

Rick Derringer - All American Boy - 1974 - Most notable cut is "Rock & Roll, Hoochie Koo". If this sounds familiar it is beause he played it first with Johnny Winter. He is a very good hard rock/blues guitarist. His stuff with Johnny and Edgar Winter is where I first heard of Rick Derringer (or so I thought - who knew this guy had started a group by the name of the McCoys that had a "bubblegum" hit titled "Hang On Sloopy"). This album was pretty good with a couple of guitar only instrumentals. Other good cuts are "Joy Ride" and "Teenage Love Afair". His solo career was highlighted with this album. His best work other than this was with the Winters but he also did studio work with groups as diverse as Steeley Dan and Weird Al Yankovich.

I may catch some grief here and although I don't like much of the music genre they spawned I do actually like a good bit of Duran Duran's work. Especially Rio- 1982 and cuts like "Rio" and "Hungry Like A Wolf". To a lesser extent I enjoyed Duran Duran- 1981 with "Girls On Film" and "Planet Earth" and Seven And The Ragged Tiger - 1983 and the cut "The Reflex". After that they really got caught up in the glam/new wave/dance stuff and I lost interest in their music. That's until they came out with what I think is their best cut ever: "Ordinary World" from The Wedding Album in 1993.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited February 2003
    Options
    F1 - Good call on Delaney Bonnie and Friends. I agree this is a must have R&R classic. I know they were not on this album but there were some other notable members of this band like Duane Allman and Leon Russell (Dave Mason is one of the best musicians that nobody has ever heard of - I really like him). And of course Delaney and Bonnie Bramlett were excellent muscians in their own right.

The title cut "Brothers In Arms" is my favorite from the album followed closely by "Money For Nothing". MFN is a great video too. Knoffler said the two animated guys are from a real life encounter he had. Also the guitar riff just after Sting's "I want my MTV" lead-in may be one of the most recognizable in Rock!

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Shack,

I like the early Duran Duran also, good call. I thought everybody would know Dave Mason from his work with Traffic, he's great.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Paul Connor
    Paul Connor Posts: 231
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Lost my All American Boy album somewhere in the years.

Does anyone rembember if Rick Derringer was somehow connected to Pat Benetar?
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2003
    Options
    David & David

Boomtown

AM Records
    Catalog # CD5134/DX729
    Every now and then you come across a gem of an album/CD that few others have ever heard of. After 1 session with this CD I new I had found something really special.

I've been listening to this CD for about 13 years, and I'll keep on listening until all of the 1 & 0's fall off!! Yes it's that good!! Now before I say anything else about this album, let me say that it is not for everyone. This is not finger snappin', toe tappin', disco crapola. I strongly advise anyone that does not like to think to skip this CD.

Now, How can you miss with a great bunch of songs like "Welcome to the Boomtown" a song about lives ruined by dope, and not just junkies lives. "Swallowed by the Cracks" about lives changed over time, and dreams unfullfilled. "Ain't so Easy" is a man apologizing to his wife/girlfriend about beating the **** out of her.....I'm sorry about your eye, I'll find a way to make amends, it's only that some times I've got to break before I bend..."
    "Hero's" is another great cut with just a hint of an occasional country rift, but it ain't counrty at all.

Honest opinion is that there is not a bad cut on the whole album, one song seems to lead naturally to the next, with a small pause for the random thought about what each song says.

I guess it's not so much the music (which is great!) but it's great stories set to music, which is even better!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited February 2003
    Options
    THE DOORS. Who could forget about these guys. Light my Fire, Five to One, Love Me Two Times, Hello I Love You, L.A. Woman, Touch Me.....and so on. These dudes were bad ****. Jim was the baddest of the bad. A shame he checked out early.

DEEP PURPLE. What can I say? Smoke On The Water, Space Trucking, Hush, and one of the best versions of Neil Diamonds' Kentucky Woman ever made.

Since I just mentioned him, I think I will have to put him on this list right now.

NEIL DIAMOND. I have his two disc set, "Hot August Night" on MFSL gold dics. Recorded 1972 at the Greek Theatre in L.A. Its good.

joe
  • shack
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I thought everybody would know Dave Mason from his work with Traffic

It seems like if you mention Traffic everyone knows about Steve Winwood and probably Jim Capaldi but no one seems to remember Dave Mason much less the solo albums he made.
    Does anyone rembember if Rick Derringer was somehow connected to Pat Benetar?

I don't think so.

• F1nut
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thought I'd fill out some of The Doors titles,

13 - 1970 Elektra EKS-74079 Vinyl

Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine - 1972 Elektra 8E-6001 Vinyl

Strange Days - (no date) Elektra/DDC GZS 1026 Gold CD

L.A. Woman - (no date) Elektra/DCC GZS 1034 Gold CD

President of Club Polk

• avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Dream Theater (Atlantic/Elektra)
    Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (2002)
    Live Scenes From New York (2001)
    Scenes From A Memory (1999)
    Once In A LIVEtime (1998)
    Falling Into Infinity (1997)
    A Change Of Seasons (1995)
    Awake (1994)
    Images And Words (1992)

This is by far my favorite band. All of their albums are great. I first heard them on the radio in 92'. While this band does not get much radio play their one song that made it to main stream had me hooked. (Pull Me Under/ CD:Images and Words) I immediatly went out and bought the CD and was hooked. Images and Words is considered by fans one of their best CD's. I&A is one fast paced CD that does not let up until the very end. I&A is infamous for a song called "Metropolis, Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper" that left fans wanting to no more about the story that the song told.

That song created a "concept" album in 1999 called "Metropolis Part II: Scenes from a Memory". SFOM in my opinion was their finest work. Basically the CD is broken up into two Acts or scenes if you will, and follows a troubled man that seeks psychiatric help because he is troubled in his dreams by a murder that takes place 70 years prior. What makes this CD a classic in my book is singer James LaBrai ability to change his voice minutely to all of the charecters lines throughout the CD. This is a 78 minute joyride. The song "Home" takes the cake here.

All of their other CD's have very memorable works. Awake (1994) is more edgier, and does not dissapoint throughout the entire CD.

A Change of Seasons (1995) is an ok CD that mainly focuses on the bands influences. Songs like Kansas' "Wayword Son" are found here. What makes this CD stand out and bite you in the **** is the song tiltled "Change of Seasons" a 23 minute spine chilling offering of what this band can be capable of.

Falling into Infinity (1997) is their weakest album. The producers at Atlantic wanted a more radio friendly CD. And it bombed from top to bottom, and almost broke up the band because of it. One song does stand out and thats "Trial of Tears/It's Raining/Deep in Heaven/The Wasteland" an 11 minute work of greatness.

Their New CD Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance is a two CD set. The first CD is 5 songs that they felt worth to add to the CD. All five songs could have stood alone on an album alone. "The Glass Prison", and "Misunderstood" stand out. The secong CD is a 45 minute song that deals with the "Six degrees of inner Turbulance". The six degrees being a popular high school girl that suffers from the pressures of keeping everyone happy, to a vietnam vet haunted by the war, to a normal looking baby boy growing up into a manic depressive. May sound depressing but its one hell of a rollercoaster ride.

Musically the band is made up of James LaBrai (vocals), John Petrucci (guitars), Mike Portnoy (Drums), John Myung (Bass), and Jordan Rudess (Keyboards).
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    We be off to one flyin’ start here…

F1, I’d always just assumed Mark was singing about Boy George. Added Delaney & Bonnie to buy list. BTW I nabbed a quote from you for my sig… good one. :D

Shack, thought Rick Derringer would be one of my little gems. AAB is a great album. Also have his If I Weren’t So Romantic, I’d Shoot You on vinyl (1987 CBS, JZ 35075). Not as good, but has its moments. I saw Rick ~4 years ago at the Party-on-the-Plaza thing I’ve mentioned before. He’s a short little s**t, but can still rock.
    And Duran Duran has a hits CD that’s PDG sampler…

Paul, Checked my Benetar albums. She did include in her thank-you’s on In the Heat of the Night, “Rick for always being there… from the beginning.” Other than that, there’s no “Rick” anywhere on either album, and the name, Derringer is never mentioned. :confused: Dunno bud... could be...

Frank, I have David & David, also. Been a long time since I spun that vinyl. Do remember it as being very good though. Another gem snatched from my post… gotta dig deeper in the “D’s” I see…

All, As for Dave Mason, until we get to the “M’s” I’ll only add, Alone Together is one of the Great RnR albums of all-time. :cool:

My first two “gems”:
    Dreams
    Dreams – Vinyl (circa ’70 Columbia – C 30225)
    Found this in a cut-out bin around ’72 and I took more s**t for liking this than you can imagine. But here’s part of the band’s line-up: Michael and Randy Brecker, Billy Cobham, and John Aberchrombie. Just a really nice addition to that “horn era” stuff I loved, and still do. It’s a three-star on AMG, bit higher in my book…

My second is not only a gem IMO, but a guilty pleasure to boot…
    DEEE-LITE
    World Clique – CD (1990 Elektra – 9 60957-2)
    Another of Tour’s cut-out bin classics, this is a Techno-Funk-Pop, party CD that’s just one helluva lot of fun. The group consists of two DJ’s and a Female vocalist. They add session players as needed. Bootsy Collins even drops in on three of the tracks.

“Groove is in the Heart” got all the airplay and Lady Miss Kier’s voice carries it and the whole CD to heights it would not otherwise have attained. Other even better tracks include: “Smile On”, “What is Love?”, and “Who Was That?”. But there’s not a single track that I don’t like. And it does extra wonderful things to a pair of SDA’s.

I put this CD on when I need to smile... and it works, every time… :)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Tour,

Oh man! I've been quoted out of context, please add NOTafter that one. :lol:

Added two buys so far, David & David and DEEE-LITE, thanks guys.

I almost forgot, I'm 99.9% sure it was Prince, aka TAFKAP. What a waste of talent.

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Sorry there night owl, NOT changin' the quote...

and now that I think of it wasn't there a Boy George look-alike dancin' around in the MFN video???
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• F1nut
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hey now, is that anyway to treat another Ohio boy!?! Damn, I quess I'll have to spell it out....I'm as far from PC as you can get! Now that one you can quote.

Can't remember about the MFN video. Anybody else want to chime in on this one?

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Done...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• F1nut
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I think that sun in SE Texas has been getting to ya. :lol:

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Yup, almost hit 80 here today sno-boy... ;)

Now I'll agree to give you the last post if you want it, but I've aided and abetted the derailment of the letter "D" all I'm going to tonite.

We can always meet in bi-wiring thread #8264, and derail it if you want to continue... :lol:
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    Options
    today.....i went...... - wait this thread already on another railroad track...
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Finut,
    Let me know if you cannot find the David&David CD.

Tour,
    Did the mailman bring you anything interesting yet?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • shack
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Doobie Brothers - Toulouse Street - 1972 - 2nd album and their best in my mind - "Listen To the Music", "Rockin' Down The Highway" (two of the best "road" songs ever!) and "Jesus Is Just Alright With Me" lead the list of this impressive album. Followed closely by The Captain And Me - 1973 - 3rd album - with cuts like "South City Midnight Lady", "China Grove" and "Long Train Running". Their 1st album from 1971 titled simply Doobie Brothers was OK but is not as good as these two. It was their first effort and they got better. 1974's What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits brought us "Black Water". I never cared much for Stampede which came out in 1975. After this album Michael McDonald along with Skunk Baxter (from Steeley Dan) took over the band and recorded 3 fairly sucessfull albums Takin It To The Streets, Living On The Fault Line and Minute By Minute. While I liked some of the songs like "Taking It To The Streets", "Minute By Minute", "What A Fool Believes", I think it became more of a showcase for McDonald. They made a 4th album in this configuration that honestly I have never heard. I personally liked the band better during the first 4 albums when Tom Johnston was the front man.

All in all The Doobie Brothers had a long stretch of good music with a pretty good amount of success. Definitely a lot of material for "Best Of" CDs( Which I think there are several - but I dont own any).

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Depeche Mode - Singles 1986-1998

Great double CD, it's the only Depeche Mode I have. As the title indicates, it's their singles between 86 and 98.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I'll second Dylan's Blood on the Tracks, my favorite Dylan
    album.
    Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits is available in a new remaster
    and the sound is incredible. Some great SDA imaging for
    those with SDA's.
    I'll add the great Miles Davis to the mix. Start with 'Kind of
    Blue', one of the best jazz albums ever. His work with Gil
    Evans is magic and everything he did with Coltrane is great.
    Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    Tour,
    Did the mailman bring you anything interesting yet?
    As a matter of fact he did today... My thanks Frank. It's on tonite's menu...

You now have this e-coupon redeemable for....

|********************|
    |....................................|
    |.... One favor in Return ....|
    |....................................|

Just tear it out and mail it with a SASE to me.

Edit: getting the coupon to look even this good was a b***h....
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Derek and the Domino's Layla is a classic that beongs in
    everyone's cd collection. Remastered and featuring some
    of the best guitar playing ever with Duane Allman and Eric
    Clapton.
    Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505
  • F1nut
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I'll add to that,

DEREK & THE DOMINOS - IN CONCERT
    1973 Polydor/Mobile Fidelity UDCD 2-660 Gold CD

The live album to add to your collection after Layla.

Hey Mike, good call on Layla.

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    today.....i went...... - wait this thread already on another railroad track...
    You're showing signs of self-restraint there Sid... :eek:

God, they grow up so fast thee days, don't they... :)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Caught that Delaney and Bonnie & Friends W/Clapton at the defunct Fillmore East. GOOD show. Clapton was INCREDIBLY restrained, considering he had just finished with Cream (his zenith) and Blind Faith. In between numbers, someone shouted out, "Hey Clapton, DO something." To which his response was to wobble his knees! Clearly giving way to Bonnie and Delaney, whose show it was. Class act Mr. Clapton was.

The warm up artist was Wilbert Harrison, whose only real claim to fame was the hit "Kansas City".

Want to know how I remember all this stuff from another age? It's because it only messes up your SHORT TERM memory....... Did I just say something?

Bonnie Bramlett ended up being a tall, blonde, floozy on the Roseanne Barr show, "Roseanne". The classiest thing to ever happen to that show.

The Allman Bros. Band? The night they did "Live at The Fillmore East", it was broadcast live on WNEW FM. I recorded it on my trusty Vivitar (that's right, the camera people) Stereo Cassette Deck, and had it on tape loooong before it was released on album. Mountain was the warm-up band, and that became an album MANY years later. Recorded that too.

My contribution to this thread would be the album "NAZZ", the first album released by the band Nazz. 1967 or 68, this was a Filthadelphia band featuring the talents of Todd Rundgren, and 3 other Filthy dudes. This is one of the great, PURE, NO PRETENSES, JOYOUS, ROCK albums of all time. It even included the first version of "Hello It's Me", which Rundgren must have re-released every few years until it finally made the charts. There were other Nazz albums, but none touched this one for pure originality and FUN! Blacked out album cover with 4 faces on it. Worth owning. Finally got it on cd about ten years ago.

I was going to mention another album that I was thinking about a few minutes ago.......but I forgot it.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • F1nut
    edited February 2003
    Options
    George,

It's always entertaining to read your posts, but we're on "D" this week. Are you sure about that SHORT TERM memory thing? ;)

President of Club Polk

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I am NOT a cutting edge guy. Stop doing cutting edge stuff like "LOTW", and I might just break the code on some of these posts.

Oh well, I got broadsided, but at least I learned what "LOTW" means. Last week I figured out "wpc".

POSITIVE, about that short term memory thing.

WHOA! I'm looking around and I don't recognize this house!

Okay, save Nazz till whatever comes after "M".

George Grand (of the.....damn, I'm from SOMEWHERE)