**Rock and Roll Reminiscing - CCCC**

Tour2ma
Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
edited January 2011 in Music & Movies
Rock and Roll Reminiscing

26 January 2003 --- LOTW is “CCCC”

For what this is about and some guidelines please click on the following link:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7234

Yes, it’s a long post, but please read, if you participate.

In this week’s thread we are discussing artists whose last name, and groups whose name begin with the letter “C”.

Note: The word “The” doesn’t count, so for example “The Allman Brothers Band” belongs in the "A's" discussion and not in the “T’s” (guideline #5).

When possible, please supply complete title, format, company, year and catalog number when posting recordings.

And so our 26-week odyssey continues…

Hope you come along for the ride… ;)
More later,
Tour...
Vox Copuli
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
Post edited by Tour2ma on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2003
    Crosby, Stills Nash and Young. Another true "supergroup" that made a name for themselves at Woodstock. Stephen Stills from Buffalo Springfield, Graham Nash from the Hollies and David Crosby form the Byrds. Their first studio album "Crosby, Stills and Nash" was a very good album and was well received both critically and commercially. It came out just two months before their famous appearance and the rest is as they say.... "history". They added Neil Young who had been with Stills in Buffalo Springfield for the woodstock concert and with him they recorded "D
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited January 2003
    CCR. Loved 'em as they were together, couldn't stand Fogerty's work when he went solo later on. Those words "put me in coach" still leave a nasty ring in my ears...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited January 2003
    Eric Clapton

Eric Clapton/self titled - 1970 PolyGram/Mobile Fidelity UDCD 639 Gold CD

461 Ocean Boulevard - 1974 PolyGram/Mobile Fidelity UDCD 594 Gold CD

Just One Night - 1980 PolyGram/Mobile Fidelity UDCD 2-608 Gold CD

Unplugged - 1992 Reprise 9 45024-2 CD

Crossroads 2 (live in the seventies) - 1996 Polydor 31452 9305-2 CD

Blues - 1999 Polydor 314 547 178-2 CD

There are many more that I haven't listed, so feel free to add them.

This says it all, "Eric Clapton Is God"
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• shack
    edited January 2003
    ERIC CLAPTON - Where to start - The Yardbirds, Cream, Delaney Bonnie and Friends, John Mayals Bluesbreakers, Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominos all lead up to Eric's solo career. He had many good solo album's but my favorites are:

"461 Ocean Boulevard "with one of his best ballads ever "Let It Grow". The rest of the album got more airplay but this was the best cut of the album.

His next album I enjoyed was his first good one in many years (not counting the 4 disc box set "Crossroads" that covers his career up to 1988 which is excellent by the way) "Journeyman". "Pretending", "No Alibis" and "Bad Love" are all excellent cuts. This album was a true rocker in an age of Glam and Punk. I became a fan again.

Which leads us to CREAM - The original Power Trio - Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce - #1 has to be "Disraeli Gears" (2nd album) with cuts like "Sunshine Of Your Love", "Strange Brew" and "Tales of Brave Ulysses". "Wheels of Fire" need to be mentioned because it is a 2 disc set with one studio disc and one live disc with the studio version having "White Room" which may be one of Cream's best songs.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited January 2003
    F1 you beat me to Eric. He is certainly one of the all-time greats but I have to disagree on one point.
    This says it all, "Eric Clapton Is God"

He is an influential and talented muscian and a GREAT guitar player....But he is no God!!!! In fact he may not even be the best guitar player out there (which sort of got him his reputation in the first place). That kind of statement puts him on a too lofty pedistal he just doesn't deserve. I felt the same way when I heard this statement many years ago, usually from guys that were stoned "Like wow man....Eric Clapton....far out....dude, like he's a god... man" just before he took another hit!

• F1nut
    edited January 2003
    Shack,

I didn't invent that quote, nor do I believe he is God, it came from the well documented history of the man's career and I used it to make the point of his great guitar playing, singing and song writing abilities. Do I think he deserves to be on a lofty pedestal? YES!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited January 2003
    I just wish Clapton would turn up the volume knob and let it rip again!
  • shack
    edited January 2003
    F1, I know you didn't make the quote up. As I said, I've heard it for years and thought it was too overblown. Just my .02.

• avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited January 2003
    Ok some may call me a dweeb here, but I have to go with the Carpenters.

"The Essential Collection" (October, 2002- Universal)
    is a 4 disk set that basically covers all their work. The reason i bring this up is because if you take a listen to it, you will soon find out that the mark the Carpenters left was pretty big. They simply put out a lot of hits.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    You "... a DWEEB here..." you...

Thanks for the invite...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Paul Connor
    Paul Connor Posts: 231
    edited January 2003
    ALICE COOPER- I'm jumping in with Love it to Death and Killer. These were two that I bought in high school and still enjoy. The old so and so is still around and has done a lot since, but I really do not believe anything has come close, especially to the Killer album.
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    OK… now that my above reply is out of the way. Actually although I made fun of the “Carpenters” both here and in my proposal post, Ave, I have to admit, there’s a serious discography there…

Good stuff above…

Shack, damn near challenged you on when Young joined CS&N… shoulda known better… Just couldn’t place Neil w/ them at Woodstock, at least not in my recollection of the original movie release, but he was there. Loved them; not enough of them in my collection… (and “Suite Judy Blue Eyes” just came on the cable… happening a lot when I’m typing ‘bout various groups… spooky).

Randall, CCR… yeah Buddy. Three vinyls, and their 2 “hits” CD’s here. Had resisted them until the opening chords of “Willy and the Poor Boys” hit my ears, but then had to go back and get the two that came before. CCR popularized “Bayou Rock” and the process of doing so, cranked out of the best Southern Rock ever. Too bad all the in-fighting destroyed them, and Fogerty's long battle with their label delayed the release of reissues for so long. Disagree a bit with you on Fogerty’s solo stuff, but can save that debate for the “F’s”…

F1/ Shack, You have Eric covered. I’ll only add… Don’t overlook his work on Harrison’s “Concert for Bangladesh”. Also, not too long ago I saw some footage of EC jamming with Hendrix back in Jimi’s pre-breakout days in London clubs. This is back when Eric was still streching. And lastly, if anyone knows of a more beautiful, heart wrenching song in the RnR catalog than “Tears in Heaven”, I’m all ears.

As for me:
    Elvis Costello (and the Attractions)
    My Aim is True – Vinyl (1977 Columbia – JC35037)
    Armed Forces – Vinyl (1978 Columbia - JC 35709)
    Get Happy!! – Vinyl (1980 Columbia – PC 36347)
    Trust – Vinyl (1981 Columbia – JC 37051)
    IbMePdEroloAml – Vinyl (1982 Columbia – FC 38257) – looks like a title Sid would come up with… lol… ;)
    The Very Best of Elvis Costello and the Attractions – CD (1994 Rykodisc – rcd 40283/ BMG D 106956)
    The Costello Show (featuring Elvis Costello)
    King of America – Vinyl (1986 Columbia – FC 40173)

… and I actually missed “This Year’s Model” (circa 1977) and others along the way… prolific writter...
    In the beginning, on My Aim is True, his Buddy Holly shtick on “Alison” got me interested, but when I heard “Watching the Detectives”, it was all over. Armed Forces reinforced this with “Accidents Will Happen” and “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding”. Rest is kind of an “in for dime…” kinda thing. By the way the first four albums I list were all produced by Nick Lowe (of NL and His Cowboy Outfit “fame”). Nick’s name pops up as having produced many fine albums.
    Try the hits CD, all the essential stuff is here (and it is, IMO, essential), and if hungry for more…

Chicago Transit Authority/ Chicago – (or how I learned that Public Utilities can sue, but cities can’t)
    CTA – CD (1968 Columbia – CGK 00008) – 2 albums on 1 disc – this is the original “remastered” AAD transfer, there has to be an even a better reissue by now…
    Chicago – II (AKA “the Silver Album”) – Vinyl/ CD (1969 Columbia - C2K 00024) – 2 albums on 2 discs (both pretty lean time-wise), otherwise ditto the above note…

Can you have a serious RnR collection without these two? Not IMO… Classic stuff, before the fluff of the later (and still going) versions of this group (what are they up to now, something like “Chicago 18”?)… And no, I’ve never sat through “Free Form Guitar”, and I do not recommend you try to, but all the rest is an absolutely effortless listen.
    Can argue whether Chicago or BST was more responsible for bringing horns back into RnR, but why bother, just spend that time enjoying both.
    This is the “C” group that followed Blues Image in my first concert ever. It was right after the release of II. They were awesome in concert. Not one song was note-for-note from the albums; an improv in every one that worked… I was told they did a 30-minute jam of “I’m a Man” with BI as an encore… I say, “I was told,” ‘cause my date had to leave just as both groups came back on stage…. “*@*&#%&…!!!”
    There's a flow to these, especailly II, that can't be rep'd on the "hits" releases.
    Highly Recommended
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited January 2003
    You guys have already covered some of my favorites. I love
    CCR and Clapton as well as Elvis Costello.
    One group I just found out about a week or so ago is
    Coldplay. I bought their cd 'Parachutes' and is fantastic.
    F1 turned me on to King Crimson(should they be K or C).
    The gold cd of 'In the court of the Crimson king' is fantastic,
    especially on SDA's.
    Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505
  • abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited January 2003
    Chicago III and V are great albums, too! I'm also a Joe Cocker fan from way back.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    The Call

Okay gang, here's my contribution for this week. One band, 2 albums.

Reconciled
    Electra
    Cat# 960440-2

Not a real famous group by any stretch but a fine bunch of musicians none the less. This album displays some great guitar and drum work, nothing real fancy, just good old rock and roll. If these guy's could have hooked up with a decent engineer I think that they would have sold a lot more records. A good example of early/mid eighties rock, not punk or any of that stuff, just rock. The last coupleof tracks don't do much for me (Tore the Old Place Down & Even Now). You'll find yourself going back for another listen, kinda grows on ya.

Let the Day Begin
    MCA Records
    Cat#MCAD-6303

Alot more refined than than Reconciled but still rough enough around the edges to keep it interesting. The move from Electra to MCA did not help with the quality of the recordings at all. In fact you can hear other tracks bleeding over on some of the cuts. Kind of wierd, especially on headphones! Best tracks are "Let the Day Begin" kind of a Aural Toast to those that deserve it. "Here's to winners of the human race, Here's to the losers in game," or "Here's to the soldiers of the bitter war, Here's to the wall that bears their names." "For Love" has a great ponding back beat that's sure to grab ya.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    The Cars/Candy O - 1979 Elektra 5E-507-2 CD

Kinda pop-rock, but lead by a very talented song writer, Ric Ocasek. I actually haven't listened to it in years, but I'm going to give it a spin now. The cover has one of the Vargas girls on it, nice!

EDIT: It's going to be a long, long time before I listen to this one again.

Joe Cocker/Mad Dogs & Englishmen - 1970 PolyGram/Mobile Fidelity UDCD 736 Gold CD

In a madcap effort to spare Cocker from problems with the immigration folks and the Musician's Union this group was put together in 7 days. Recorded live at the Fillmore East, this is a classic. Recommended.

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    F1…. Buddy… thanks for picking the weakest (by a long shot) of the 4 Cars albums I have and bailing. You left them for me to cover. :D I’ll take them, and owe you a “Marshall Crenshaw”… ;) (he says as he loads his two Cars' anthology CD’s into place)…

The Cars
    The Cars – Vinyl (1978 Elektra/Asylum – 6E-135)
    Candy-O – Vinyl (1979 Elektra/Asylum – 5E-507)
    Shake It Up – Vinyl (1981 Elektra/Asylum – 5E-567)
    Heartbreak City – Vinyl (1984 Elektra/Asylum – 60296-1)
    The Cars Anthology – Just What I Needed – Dbl CD (1995 Elektra/ Rhino – R2 73506)

To start with, yup, F1’s right… Candy-O: Best Cover :eek: / worst album :mad: of the four I own. Call it the sophomore jinx or whatever, but it was not good.

However, after the first album, they needed the rest. Their debut, The Cars, had nine tracks of which six were either hits, or at least received significant air-play… “Good Times Roll”, My Best Friend’s Girl”, “Just What I Needed”, “You’re All I’ve Got Tonight”, “Bye Bye Love” and “Moving in Stereo” (an SDA Classic!)…. What a line up! The other three weren’t exactly clunkers either.

Even Candy-O produced 4 singles, but the three redeeming tracks for me were “Let’s Go”, “Dangerous Type” and “It’s All I Can Do”. Good stuff dragged down by low points their debut did not have, and too many of them. Oddly enough it was their top Billboard album, going all the way to #3 (as did Heartbreak City).

I don’t have Panorama, their third album. It was largely forgettable, but did produce “Touch and Go”. It almost ended them, but then...

From the opening electronic claps of “Since You’ve Gone” flowing into the track 2, title cut, any “Cars” fan knew they were back strong with Shake It Up (why the hell they reversed these two for the Anthology, I don’t know). Add “I’m Not The One”, “Victim of Love” and “Cruiser” and the sum total is, IMO, one of the great album sides of all time (Another, future thread there, I’m thinking). Side 2 was an adequate flip side.

Heartbreak City was my final fling with “The Cars”. Rik Ocasek had been **** some supermodel or such, who dumped him and he went soft. Album did produce the “prettiest” of all their work, “Drive” and “Why Can’t I Have You” as well as the MTV video hit, “You Might Think”, and a couple other decent cuts, but the edge was gone. :o

Their last album, Door to Door did virtually nothing… (“..Party over, oops outta time”…)

The Cars Anthology… has almost all of the great stuff, most of the good, a lot of filler, and those typically great Rhino liner notes. For a taste Elektra 60464 may be a better single CD collection, but you’re ‘bout as well off flipping a coin to decide to buy either The Cars or Shake It Up… a tough choice. :confused: ... or maybe both used at Amazon.

The Commodores – just for a little change of pace
    All The Great Hits – Vinyl (1982 Motown – 6028ML)
    Hummm… it says here, “some tunes have been previously released”… you’d think so for a Greatest Hits collection wouldn’t ya?. Good stuff, if a bit heavy on the Lionel Richie side, including his standard, “Three Times a Lady”. But they shove him back long enough to belt out “Brick House”, and that’s all I need.
    I’ll bet they spin “Brick House” at your company’s Christmas dinner/ dance, too… :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited January 2003
    I can't believe I forgot to mention John Coltrane in my previous
    post. John was a genius and my favorite sax player ever.
    I love most all of his music, especially with Miles Davis.
    Kind oif Blue is a great place to start, Giant Steps, My Favorite things, Live at the Village Vangaurd, a love Supreme are all
    great.
    Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by Paul Connor
    ALICE COOPER- I'm jumping in with Love it to Death and Killer. These were two that I bought in high school and still enjoy. The old so and so is still around and has done a lot since, but I really do not believe anything has come close, especially to the Killer album.
    Here, here, Paul... and damn, you're almost as old as I am... :) It took an administration overrule to keep "I'm Eighteen" from being our class song...

I saw Alice guillotined in Cleveland’s Public Aud., and hung in the Akron Rubber Bowl. As good as his early albums were, he was an even better showman. Along with the original Peter G. led Genisis, Alice took rock concerts to a new entertainment level. :cool:

You definitely named his best work, but "Billion Dollar Babies" was near as worthy. The slide continued with "Welcome to My Nightmare". In his early days Alice was known for drinking up to a case of Bud a day. Maybe he should have stayed off the wagon for the sake of his music.

Question: I heard he and Lou Reed swapped bands around '74, and that his old band then made Rock and Roll Animal with Reed. Is this true? :confused:
    If yes, it's a trade right up there with my Browns sending Paul Warfield to the Dolphins for the right to pick Mike Phipps.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by mhw58
    Live at the Village Vangaurd

.... does it for me...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Another day another long RnR Rem post to write… 03:15 and I’m ready to roll… ;D

Cowboy Junkies
    The Trinity Sessions- CD (1988 RCA/BMG – 8568-2-R)
    The Caution Horses – CD (1990 BMG – BG2 02058)
    Black Eyed Man – CD (1992 RCA/ BMG – 07863/ 61049-2)
    Crescent Moon – CD (1993 RCA/ BMG – 07863/ 66344-2)

Where to start… Only one place… Margo Timmins, the female of the Timmins clan in this group, there are 3 in all, has a voice that will melt cones right off of your polylam’d drivers. :eek: Soft, low, smoky, sultry... sounding as if she stepped right out of a speakeasy to record.

The tracks on The Trinity Sessions aren’t quite speakeasy old, but many do go back a ways, making “standards” out of tunes you never knew were. Track 5 is a case in point, a hauntingly slow treatment of Hank William’s “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry”. Track 3 already slow-cooked “Blue Moon (Revisited)” shortly after a traditional Celtic solo to open the CD, “Mining for Gold”. Only track 6 picks up the tempo at all. One or more of the Timmins wrote half of the tracks, and they fit right in. Best track? I nominate #10, the slowest version of Lou Reed’s “Sweet Jane”, and the most beautiful, you’ve ever heard. This is the track that hooked me to the tune of 4 CD’s. Recorded “live” in Toronto’s Church of the Holy Trinity, it is complete with the dull thump of one member’s heel keeping time on the altar’s wood floor. It’s a grab your lady, and slow grind it in the middle of the living room floor, fore-play of a CD. Highly Recommended to any who can stand to slow down. And I mean, slow… way… down...

None of the other’s measure up to “Trinity”, but all have their moments. Michael Timmins started solo writing most of the material starting with The Caution Horses, whereas Margo got co-credit on most of the original “Trinity” tracks. It’s more country, and often the lyrics don’t fit, :( except for “Escape is So Simple”. Other bright spots are the two covers including Neil Young’s “Powderfoot”. Maybe, just maybe next time... :confused:

Michael took over the Producer role as well for Black Eyed Man and the tempo picks up considerably on some tracks. Some strained lyrics emerge here as well, but the boy is learning. A lot more works here. John Prine pops up on track 5. It closes with two Townes Van Zandt songs sandwiching a Michael song, “Townes Blues” that absolutely works. Strong finish here. :p

Crescent Moon starts off like their going to break into a cover of Heart’s “Heartless”, but no, just samplin’ ma’am, and it quickly slides back into a “Trinity…” style. This CD is more electric, polished and confident than the 2nd and 3rd. Michael’s writing continued to improve and he evens plays with us some. Like track 1’s tease, you’d swear track 4 is going to turn into Dobie Gray’s “Drift Away” at any moment. :) A good, best-of-the-rest selection, but its still a step or two shy of The Trinity Sessions.

Johnny Clegg and Savuka
    Cruel, Crazy, Beautiful World – CD (1989 EMI – D 144564)

A local newspaper humorist starting writing about this CD and went on about it for weeks, until I finally caved. At first listen, I thought the joke was on me. What is it Reggae? African? Both? Neither? After a second listen I had the answer to all these questions, “Yes. Yes. Yes, in varying blends. And no.” But most of all it is fun music made by a six-man, half-white, half-black band playing and recording in Johannesburg in the late 80’s. :cool:
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• shack
    edited January 2003
    OK - Here are a few more "C"s... Maybe you like them...maybe you dont:

Phil Collins" - Joined Genesis in the early 70s as their drummer when Peter Gabriel was the lead singer. When Gabriel left, Collins ultimately became the front man for Genesis (while still playing drums). He made his first solo album Face Value in 1981 followed by Hello, I Must Be Going in 1982 and No Jacket Required in 1985. All while still recording with Genesis. I believe his solo stuff outsold Genesis. His songs became a staple on Miami Vice and he had a couple of guest appearances on the show.

Face Value gave us "In The Air Tonight" Maybe his most famous single because of it's extensive play on Miami Vice.

Hello, I Must Be Going had the hits "I Don't Care Anymore" and "You Can't Hurry Love" (a Supremes cover).

No Jacket Required - "Sussudio", "Take Me Home" and "One More Night" got most of the airplay but my favorites are "Long Long Way To Go" and "We Said Hello, Goodbye"

His next true solo album But Seriously came in 1989. It sold well but I didn't care much for it.

During this time Collins did a duet with Phillip Bailey (Earth Wind and Fire) on his album Chinese Wall. "Easy Lover" was a decent song and got a lot of airplay.

Not much of Collins' efforts in the 90s matched his 80's success. He left Genesis and spent a lot of time producing while still putting out an album form time to time.

Kim Carnes - She recorded lots of albums but only one deserves a mention here IMO. Mistaken Identity - 1981- The song most recognize is "Betty Davis Eyes" but there were several good cuts including "Hit and Run", "Draw of the Cards", "Break The Rules Tonight" and "Miss You Tonight". Her career never did seem to take off. This album was reissued in 1999 with several additional cuts which I don't care for...Most notable being "Don't Fall In Love With A Dreamer" with Kenny Rodgers.

And a few more:

Country Joe (McDonald) and the Fish "I Feel Like I'm Fixin'-to-Die" - His performance at Woodstock and the FISH cheer- nuff said

Canned Heat - Another Woodstock performer - "Goin' up the Country"

The Cranberries - No Need To Argue - 1994 - "Zombie" - The 2nd best Irish Rock Protest Anthem (Behind U2s "Sunday, Bloody Sunday").

J. J. Cale - Wrote and sang "After Midnight" and "Cocaine". Clapton covered both but I like J.J.'s versions better.

The Chambers Brothers - The Time Has Come - 1967 - "Time Has Come Today" and "People Get Ready".

Clannad - "Theme From Harry's Game" - Theme for a TV show and most notably a Volkswagen commercial. Still a really nice cut. Turned some folks on to "Celtic" music.

• avelanchefan
    edited January 2003
    Shack,

Good call with the Cranberries. No need to argue was a great album.

No one has mentioned Creed so I will.

My Own Prison was a great rock album. Their last two were average at best.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Shack,
    Somewhere along the line I “decided” to not like Phil’s work anymore, maybe I should give another listen.

Your Kim Carnes listing reminded me I’ve been ignoring my MFSL vinyl section in my listings. I’ve got Mistaken ID on MFSL 1-073. What a whiskey voice there… good listing… Now I have to back to the “B’s” to add one…

Add another “C”, Natalie Cole, Thankful on MFSL 1-032. This is before she thought of making money by dueting with Dad.

Your Cranberries post reminded me of another disc my daughter “borrowed”. Everybody Else is Doing it, So Why Can’t We? is there, but No Need… is missing. Both are very nice, but No Need... is the must-own from this group.

Some nice oldies in your post, too. One that really caught my eye was J. J. Cale. Can you recommend a CD here for one who has none of his stuff?

Aside: You mention Clannad and the VW commercials, do you know who did the music for the Nissan commercials that aired last year? I know I’ve heard it somewhere and it’s been bugging me.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Paul Connor
    Paul Connor Posts: 231
    edited January 2003
    Anyone remember a band called Charlie? (circa 1977) I have an album titled Lines that I haven't listened to in about 25 years and I cannot remember much about it.

Here is a site for ya'll:

http://www.lpnow.com/rock-rock-c.html

Just found it. Anyone ever dealt with them for vinyl?
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited January 2003
    The original badass Johnny Cash.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited January 2003
    Cake - Fashion Nugget -- One of my favorite releases of the 90's. Kind of quirky pop/rock (complete with trumpets and lots of vibra-slap) but fun as hell. Worth the price of admission just for the almost-hit "The Distance" and the droll cover of "I Will Survive". All of their CD's have been good but I still think this is their best. Terrific bass lines too...although not particularly well recorded (kind of boomy).

Cheap Trick - Live at Budokan -- Not really a great album, but it does have a few fantastic songs that we all know and love..."Surrender", "I Want You to Want Me", and "Ain't That a Shame". To me their studio albums had about 1 good song each, so their Greatest Hits CD is worth having...but I don't think I would buy the whole catalog.
    I actually saw these guys play last year at a club in Chapel Hill NC (Cat's Cradle, if anyone if familiar) and was totally blown away. I've seen plenty of has-been bands perform like has-beens, but these guys just flat rocked for 2 1/2 hours (with a 20 minute break after 1 1/2 songs after they blew the house PA system). If you get a chance to see them (I'm pretty sure they will still be touring) don't miss it....it may re-affirm your (perhaps) sagging belief in the power of rock and roll.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • avelanchefan
    edited January 2003
    Collective Soul: "Collective Soul" (self Titled)
    March 1995
    Atlantic

I forgot about this band, and especially this album. If you like to throw a party with 10+ people, this album in my opinion is a must in the cd tray.

The CD starts off with a huge bang in "Simple", and seemlessly moves into the second song "Untitled". Then comes one of the top hits in 95' with "The World I Know". After a filler track with "Smashing Young Man" you get another billboard hit with "December", another filler with "Where the river Flows", then it kicks back up again (and another billboard hit) in track 7 with "Gel".

After Gel the album moves along smoothly with "She Gathers Rain, When The Water Falls, Collection Of Goods, Bleed, and Reunion".

I personally call this the "Blue" album (because of its blue front cover), and have played this CD countless times over the years. One of those albums that don't come to mind right off the bat, but once you play it during a party, or alone, you can't help but to start singing to it.

(I think I have now redeemed myself with this, after the "Carpenter" plug earlier)
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Ave, you’re in good graces Bud. Never been anywhere but… Collective Soul – another MIA from my collection, loved the little voice going "yeah"… Along w/ Cake, thanks woody, that's two more for the ol' buy list… :cool:

And thanks for the link, Paul, it looks very interesting. Fresh, factory sealed vinyl, I’m getting goose-bumps here… :p

I’ve missed a day somewhere, so I am going to take a little liberty here… ;)

James Cotton
    best of the verve years – CD (1995 Verve – 314 527 371-2)
    A 20 track, 75 minute CD of really fine blues and/blues rock. All recorded in three sessions spanning ’67 and ’68, it’s amazing the difference a year makes. Recording is raw at the beginning and polished by the end. Cotton starts off sounding like a bad Fats Domino impersonator and moves to a blues harp playing fool. Good stuff.

I discovered Cotton when I saw “The James Cotton Blues Band” open for Steve Miller in '73. Boz Scaggs, who was a member of The Steve Miller Band before “The Joker”, was sandwiched in between. Opening for them was Steve’s and Boz’s way of saying thanks Mr. Cotton for all the under appreciated music you’ve made.

The Commitments
    The Commitments – CD (1991 MCA – MCAD-10286)
    I know it’s a soundtrack (I said I was going to take a little liberty here), but the actors did actually sing, and some even played, in the movie. I loved the movie, and I love the “soundtrack”. A number of rock’s early standards are more than adequately covered here by this Dublin “Soul Band”. Never heard it? Go to BB and rent the movie, if you like it, and I have a feeling you will, then get the CD, or maybe even the DVD.

Mary Chapin Carpenter
    Stones in the Road – CD (1994 Sony/ Columbia – CK 64327)
    OK it may be a tad more country than rock, OK a lot more, OK it’s Country, but again “liberties”. Besides in one song, “Tender When I want to Be”, she sings”You said everyone can be a rock and roll like a river too”… see?
    Big hit, “Shut Up and Kiss Me”, five words we’d all like to hear, at least once. Best song, “The Last Word”, beautiful lyrics. “Sometimes we’re blinded by… the things we need to see…I finally realized… you need it more than you need me… You can have it, I don’t want it and when you have it I’ll be gone”
    I am no C&W fan, so I am not sure why I have this one. It may have been on someone’s “best of” list, maybe Stereo Review’s. Anyway, I'm glad I own it.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• shack
    edited January 2003
    I had thought about Mary Chapin Carpenter and I guess you can classify her as R&R. I'm not sure I could use Johnny Cash and R&* in the same sentence. (See there...I couldn't do it!).

Anyway, back to Mary Chapin Carpenter ...I think her best album is Come On, Come On from 1992. My favorite cut is the title track "Come on Come On" which is the last cut of the album. I like the entire album but notable tracks are: "Only a Dream", "The Hard Way", "He Thinks He'll Keep Her", "I Feel Lucky", "Walking Through Fire" and "I Take My Chances". I've been considering buying the SACD of Time*Sex*Love . I hear it is very good album as well as an excellent example of SACD MC. Too many CDs...Too little cash!