B&K PRO-10MC Pre-Amp & B&K ST-202 Amplifier

dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,573
edited August 2011 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
B&K PRO-10MC Pre-Amplifier - 8/10 - Black - *SOLD*

This is one hell of a pre-amp/ amplifier combination but I listed the pieces individually. Both have been completely gone over and I've added Dynamat, internally, to both components. I would prefer to sell them as a pair but I'm flexible. They both have a few chassis scratches but they're still very presentable and the heat sink fins are perfect. Neither unit has EVER been rack mounted.

These are from the early days of B&K, when it was just BK Components(1981), the gear is circa 1985. They pulled out the stops for their debut lineup and it shows in the build quality and internal component choices.

The pre-amplifier is sought after for it's solid Noble potentiometers, great phono stage and straightforward design. It reminds me of NAD in the 80's, of which the pre-amps are still highly praised for their phono stage and design. It's a sonic upgrade over the previous PRO-5MC and not as electrically cluttered as the later Sonata.

This was a Stereophile Class C component, way back in the day....sure, not a Class A but it certainly made the list of memorable gear. The sound is clean, detailed and warm...almost tubelike.

Inputs? There are 6, including a tape monitor for you old school folks. The rear end is a plethora of high quality, gold plated RCA terminations straight to PCB. There's are two pairs of pre-outs for those of you that own a 2CH subwoofer.

It's 100% functional and all connections have been cleaned and treated with CAIG products. It will be packed to withstand an atomic blast.

UPDATE: The unit recently had a factory checkup. A new switch was installed and its been fully bench tested. You won't find a better PRO10MC on the market unless you find it new in box. This is THE one.

Includes: Original everything, including factory packaging and a fancy velcro strap for the power cord.

B&K ST-202 Amplifier - 7/10 - Black - *SOLD* to OPUS

This is the second piece and it's just a ballbuster amplifier. This is the first old school B&K amp I've actually owned and simply loved it.

I rated it a 7/10 because it has a few dings in the faceplate edge and some very small spots on the faceplate that I can't seem to remove with GooGone. I have no idea what they are and not a big deal but worth mentioning.

This is a Class A pre-driver, dual mono, common ground design. It has a 300kva, dual wound toroid transformer with 12 oz. soda can sized capacitors. You won't have ANY power delivery problems. It's 4ohm stable.

150wpc@8ohms
200wpc@4ohms

It's been spec'd and some internal tidbits seemed to have some wiggle, so I tightened down EVERYTHING in the chassis. It has a couple straps of Dynamat added to the chassis for resonance control. The inside is immaculate, dust free and the heatsinks are downright dangerous.

It's 100% functional and all connections have been cleaned and treated with CAIG products. It will be packed to withstand an atomic blast.

UPDATE: It recently had a complete factory checkup. A new lighted switch was istalled, B&K spec fuses installed and a component level upgrade on both the L&R channels. It was bench tested, the bias was set and it was tested @ full power. You won't find a better working example of this amplifier. It might not be a physical 10, but it sure as hell runs like one.

Includes: Original everything, including factory packaging nd a fancy velcro strap for the power cord.

S002CM01ORPBK
S003202STBK
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• dorokusai
    edited March 2008
    Thanks go out to new member, and new SDA owner, SCOOTCHU for sending me these PDF's of older B&K gear. Thanks man!

The previous pictures are prior to the Dynamat being applied....if that wasn't allready obvious :) I'll post them later.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for the pics. Straight up no BS clean well built stuff like that just brings tears to my eyessad0049.gif
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for your service to all things Adcom :D
  • ben62670
    edited March 2008
    I noticed that the grout line on one of your tiles is off:p

Seriously. Seriously please. How do you get all of your stuff so clean before you sell it. I am going to be selling a GFA-545 soon, and it has some dust in it. light, but I would like to get rid of it anyways. What works well inside, and out of older amps like these. I so respect the build quality, but would like to have a like new look on all my amps. I am going to be running my 565's, and a 585 on my speakers, and a fresh clean look would be nice.
    Thanks
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2008
    Ancient Japanese secret.

It's mainly incense, naked women, squirrels and long batons made of bamboo....the rest just works itself out.
  • ben62670
    edited March 2008
    I knew this wasn't going to work "Seriously. Seriously please."
    But I am good at riddles. I am off to purchase much Calgone.
    Thanks dude.
    You rock!
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2008
    Great 2CH rig, ready to plug into the wall and power whatever you want.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited March 2008
    The st-202 is a great amp. It has a nice, warm sound.
    It took a good tube amp to beat it.
    The only down side is the rca connectors are in a PITA spot.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited March 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Great 2CH rig, ready to plug into the wall and power whatever you want.

This would work perfectly for me. It would blend very well with my current B&K. But my wall sockets cant take anymore...lol:eek:
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2008
    I'll throw in an outlet strip for free :)
  • bopicasso
    bopicasso Posts: 878
    edited March 2008
    Would this amp be an upgrade from the amp in my onkyo 805 for my rti8s?
    Living Room setup: Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, Krell KAV 300i, PS Audio DL III DAC, Tyler Acoustics Taylo 7u, Dynaudio Audience 120C+, SVS 25/31PCI, B-P-T Clean Power Center, Ps3, Panny 50" S1 Plasma, Tekline speaker cables, Audio Art interconnects, and Pangea power cables.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2008
    Yes, definitely an upgrade from your receiver.

That pre is also very nice; I have one around as back up and my only complaint is no remote. Age makes you lazy. It does have a great MM/MC phono stage.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2008
    comparison of the Rotel 1070 and the B&K 10. Your thoughts please.

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2008
    bopicasso wrote: »
    Would this amp be an upgrade from the amp in my onkyo 805 for my rti8s?

Bopicasso - Absolutely, and thanks Ricardo :)

I agree. There are ALOT of smoking vintage pre-amps, this included, and a remote control is a nice feature for us old folks ;) I wish it had one.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2008
    comparison of the Rotel 1070 and the B&K 10. Your thoughts please.

Chuck

Welcome back sick boy....looks like both of us are getting old.

There's 20+ years between these units so they will exhibit completely different tonality. The B&K is warm and tube like, with a lush midrange. The Rotel is and should be a bit more crisp on the top end. I've not found Rotel gear to exhibit any particular sonic signature that stands out to me. However, that's one of the things I like about Rotel.

The phono stage on the Rotel is generic but has more gain than the B&K. That may or may not be a factor for you, depending on your turntable or lack thereof. The B&K was designed with vinyl in mind, the Rotel phono stage is included as an afterthought.

The remote is nice and so is the IEC but the latter can be easily integrated into the B&K. If you want, I'll do it if you're interested. I may do it anyways if I get bored while I'm recuperating, like you I guess :)

That's about all that pops into my head at the moment. Let me know if you have any additional questions.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited March 2008
    I have owned both of these models before. They make a GREAT 2 channel setup on a budget. If you can live without remote, you won't find better sound for the money anywhere.

Good phono stage as well. Great build quality. I like the looks a lot as well, very handsome together, but YTMV.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2008
    Thanks Andy!
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited March 2008
    I like the no BS design...

dead sexy IMO

I wish I had the $$....I would be all over it
    I`m just a tad extended right now

A No Brainer
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • bopicasso
    edited March 2008
    I was told that no matter the amp, the speakers wont sound much different because im using the onkyo reciever as the pre. Is their truth to that or will this amps warm sound come through the onk. Also is the 20 watt difference a big sound quality difference?
    And im very interested in this! I have been looking for an amp but my budget was to small for the 200wpc amps I was looking at. Should I hold off and save up for a 200wpc amp??? I am running rti8s and a csi3 center. But I only play music in 2 channel. Thanks in advance for my many questions!!!!
    Living Room setup: Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, Krell KAV 300i, PS Audio DL III DAC, Tyler Acoustics Taylo 7u, Dynaudio Audience 120C+, SVS 25/31PCI, B-P-T Clean Power Center, Ps3, Panny 50" S1 Plasma, Tekline speaker cables, Audio Art interconnects, and Pangea power cables.
  • bopicasso
    edited March 2008
    And only one more question lol! Sorry..
    Would I need a amp for my center channel while using in ht, or would the center be ok running off the onks amp?
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited March 2008
    If you enjoy 2 channel listening and not worried about going 5 channel any time soon then go for it. Your center will be OK,not great, but OK running off your Onkyo.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
    And only one more question lol! Sorry..
    Would I need a amp for my center channel while using in ht, or would the center be ok running off the onks amp?

The only way to really know is set it up and listen to it. Every AVR runs centers a bit differently and if you find that the two fronts are drowning out your center the cheapest fix would be to get something along the lines of an Outlaw M200 or M2200 monoblock amplifier. For $150, you can get that center channel amped and where it needs to be if you feel it is lacking.

Whoever told you that the amplifier doesn't matter and it's only the pre is smoking some funny stuff. If that was true, everyone on this forum would have preamps that cost thousands while using all cheaper brand amplifiers. It makes a huge difference, just like cables make a difference.

This B&K is a no brainer for your rti8's. No need to hold off for 200wpc as it's really not needed. B&K is quality stuff and you won't be disappointed.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2008
    Don't get caught up in the 200wpc BS as it's an arbitrary figure picked by general nonsense and inexperience. A high powered, dedicated amplifier on your main rig should produce a noticeable difference in 2CH form regardless of the pre-amp involved, which in this case, is an AVR. You'll be able to drive the RTi8 much more in-line with their capability and to much greater performance musically in 2CH form.

In HT mode it's not going to be that obvious due to the fact you should be calibrated evenly anyways. However, you may notice better overall performance from the L&R or even the entire system beings you removed some of the front stage load, off the AVR, by use of an outboard amplifier. You may get some additional benefits from your L&R channels but that's something you'll have to evaluate onsite.

All the channels currently use the same power supply and that alone should help. Sonically, while better overall it shouldn't be "drowning" out your center channel and that's not something to really worry about.

I believe your Onkyo is a very capable unit and I'm a real fan of their gear. That being said, you can't equate AVR power to dedicated amplifier power as it's two different animals and two inherently different designs. One is for the collective, one is for two loudspeakers only.

Take a look at the pictures provided, read what I posted and then pop the top on your Onkyo. If you see the same topology for all the channels in your Onkyo, let me know. You won't, and that's easy to answer. If you saw a 6 pack of soda cans inside, it would be different. That's an exaggeration but I hope you get the idea. Imagine the compromise that has to occur to get the guts of the B&K amp, inside your current AVR.

Either way, good luck and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Mark
  • bopicasso
    edited March 2008
    What kind of interconnects would you recommend with this amp? Because I would have to fit them in the budget also if I buy this amp. Is there a certain kind that pair up well with the amp?
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
    What kind of interconnects would you recommend with this amp? Because I would have to fit them in the budget also if I buy this amp. Is there a certain kind that pair up well with the amp?

Signal Cable. Excellent quality and inexpensive. Many members on the forum use them with great success.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2008

Any interconnects will work fine but Signal is what I would suggest for a benchmark.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited March 2008
    Love the Signal but the Kimber PBJ's are nice also.

P.S.
    Quit thinking and buy it. Awesome amp for the price and you'll love it.
  • bopicasso
    edited March 2008
    Im just nervous! LOL I really really want to pull the trigger!!!!!!!! But I want to make sure I think it all through and not just make an impulse buy that I will regret.
    From what everyone is saying it sounds like this is a great amp for me. I want the best sound I can get out of my Rti8s for audio. Im running a SVS 25-30pci also so Im not worried about the bass. Would it hurt to sit my 60 pound onk 805 on top of this amp? I dont have to much more room in my setup.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2008
    There's no need to rush and you should feel comfortable with the purchase.

I would not sit your Onkyo on top of this amp because of heat. The sinks and vents are on the rear but it does get warm.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2008
    Over analyzation will lead to a missed deal. I find going with my first impulse eases the pain.

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing