"Special" Monitor 7? What should I do?

Options
Ricardo
Ricardo Posts: 10,636
edited November 2007 in Troubleshooting
So I get ready to rebuild my Monitor 7B's; look at the schematics and buy the components I need; I also get a "like new" pair of MW6502's and a pair of Peerless tweeters.

Today I get the crosssover out (yes...I know...should have done that first) and it is different that the schematics that are in the sticky thread. Here's what I have:

M7Crossover.jpg

Differences are:
1.-The 4.5 ohms resistor right after the fuse, in the schematics is a 2.0 ohms.
2.-The 2.7 ohms resistor is not in the schematics.
3.-The schematics and all other literature I've seen mention a MW6502 for all Monitor 7's. Mine has a MW6500.

I have no idea what the value of the inductors is, so I don't know if they are different from the ones in the schematics.

Everything looks original, so I'm pretty sure this is the way it came out of the Polk production line.

I guess I have some kind of intermediate model? The thing is that I have no idea of what the resistor values mean....so I'm asking the experts here for help.

-I am basically assuming that the MW6502 was a better fit for the M7, since that's what most of them came with. What should I do if I wanted to put the 6502's instead of the 6500's? (The 6502 is 4 ohms, while the 6500 is 8 ohms).
-What do the resistor values actually do? The tweeter is getting the positive signal through a 4.5 ohm resistor, vs a 2.0 ohm in "most" Monitor 7's; What is this doing?
-Why is the 2.7 ohm resistor added in the path to the MW6500? Anything to do with the impedance difference between the 6500 and the 6502?

-What's the purpose of the inductors? I don't know the values....should I just leave everything original? Any risk of damaging something if I decide to replicate the schematics with the 6502 and only one 2.0 ohm resistor....because the inductors might be different?

Appreciate any input.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
SOPA
Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
Post edited by Ricardo on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Were the schematics you used for the monitor 7's with Peerless or SL2000/SL1000 or other variation?

i KNOW i read somewhere here that models with the Peerless tweeter had different crossover values because of that tweeter.

I wish I could back up that statement I just made but I have no idea where I saw them other than they were somewhere on here.

Oh and you aren't "Special", good try though. :D
  • Ricardo
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Were the schematics you used for the monitor 7's with Peerless or SL2000/SL1000 or other variation?

i KNOW i read somewhere here that models with the Peerless tweeter had different crossover values because of that tweeter.

I wish I could back up that statement I just made but I have no idea where I saw them other than they were somewhere on here.

Oh and you aren't "Special", good try though. :D

Just checked that the oldest M7 schematics in the sticky thread were approved in 1984; my 6500's are dated 1979, so I think that mine are just too old ;)

I'm going to keep it original.....but I would still like to try how the 6502's sound; anyone knows what should I do if I wanted to swap an 8 ohm driver with a 4 ohm?

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Just checked that the oldest M7 schematics in the sticky thread were approved in 1984; my 6500's are dated 1979, so I think that mine are just too old ;)

I'm going to keep it original.....but I would still like to try how the 6502's sound; anyone knows what should I do if I wanted to swap an 8 ohm driver with a 4 ohm?

Ricardo,

I suggest that you call/email Ken or Mark Suskind at Polk. They will give you the best advice. The rest of us will be guessing and maybe, give you bad advice. If I were to give you any advice it would be to build them they way they should be. Get the 6502 drivers, and the correct caps, resistors, etc. The only wildcard is the inductors. (PS, this could be bad advice:()

Now you have me wondering what is inside mine. I have the original Monitor 7's with the fuse in the back and Peerless tweeters.

Good luck! All of us Monitor 7 owners will be watching this thread, anxious to see what's going on here.
    Carl

• schwarcw
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Here's a pic of mine:

LateFall2007006.jpg

This looks like the schematic that you posted.
    Carl

• schwarcw
    edited November 2007
    Options
    And, I've got the 6500 driver. So, I've got just what you have.

Carl
    Carl

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2007
    Options
    please post a picture of the front showing the drivers.. and the fuse(s) too on the back. thanks
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Easy, look at the values on the Xover and replace them. I have yet to find someone who can hear the difference between a 6510 and 6511, for example, so don't lose sleep over it.

The Monitor series was all over the place in regards to spec's and parts that were actually used during manufacturing.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Ricardo
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I kept them original. Drove to partsexpress this morning and got the right resistors. Sounding good.

SOPA
  • schwarcw
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Your thread now has me thinking, these speakers are over 28 years old. The capacitors are probably off value. The resistors are probably okay, but they were only 10% to begin with.

What did the replacement parts cost you Ricardo?
    Carl

• Ricardo
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Total was $45, using Solen caps and Dayton audio grade resistors. I IMMEDIATELY could hear an improvemente in details/clarity......bass of course is expected to improve after break in.

SOPA
  • mgsimmer
    mgsimmer Posts: 16
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My Monitor 7bs also have MW6500 drivers with a 51981 datecode.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    10 year old thread.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk