Krell 400xi vs Rotel RC1070 + Rotel RB1090?

Options
Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,520
edited June 2010 in Electronics
What do you guys think?

The Rotel RB1090 amp + RC1070 preamp combo vs the Krell Integrated 400xi?

The Rotel RB1090 is a monster of an amp and is a dual mono design with 2 torroidals and 2 power transformers... the L and R never meet essentially. I'm not altogether very familiar with the Krell though I've heard it power the Martin Logan Vantages before and it was a solid audition.

Here are some pics:

Krell:
image002.jpg
special__120_1.jpg
400xi.jpg

Rotel RB1090:
rb1090.jpg
rb1090no1.jpg
4f2acb2ee18182b3f1fb472ee68b3feb.JPG

I havent heard the 1090 yet but I have the 1070 and I enjoy its sonic presentation. I know the 1090 would be an upgrade with the same house sound of Rotel and I have a hard time justifying $2500 for the Krell especially when the Rotel looks a lot beefier and more "manly" judging by internals alone.

The Rotel is 380wpc @ 8ohms and 700wpc @ 4ohms (where my Vantage run at).... the Krell 400xi is 200wpc @ 8 and 400 wpc @ 4. Both are class AB.

What do you guys think?
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
Post edited by Joey_V on

Comments

• crazy
    crazy Posts: 443
    edited February 2006
    Options
    A friend of mine just bought the Krell Integrated 400xi and he was debating over Rotel seperates as well. Just based on what he said - there was no comparision - Krell won hands down. He is using them to drive his B&W 800's.
    Distant Dream - A New Beginning
    www.distantdream.com
    (Now also available on iTunes)
  • mldennison
    mldennison Posts: 307
    edited February 2006
    Options
    wow, that is a pretty impressive engineering feat if the krell does sound better than the rotel. dont think even one of those transformers would fit into the krell box there. :eek:
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    Options
    ^^ Exactly what I was thinking. Very surprising to me that the Krell does a better job than the Rotel combination. Perhaps if you put them on some really demanding speakers so the Krell would run out of steam first...then maybe the Rotel would be better. How do they compare current wise?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I really have a hard time believing that the Krell entry level bests the ultimate Rotel. The capacitors on the Rotel are massive and the dual mono design is superb. The Rotel has been highly reviewed, too.

Let me correct myself, I have heard the 1090 on one occassion - powering some 802N - however, I wasnt very sold on them since they were powering BW-N which I dont really like and the guy put on mp3s.

Anyway, the Krell seems to me like I would be paying alot for the name itself... rather than the parts inside.

Not to discount those who think the Krell sounds better.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • 2+2
    2+2 Posts: 546
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Joey, I think the weakness of your Rotel combo is probably the preamp side. 1090 amp is the best Rotel has and has been received very well...RC1070 has been more mixed. If you can up the pre-amp to say...RC1090, then you probably have a great combo... Also, keep in mind the future if you ever consider upgrading to really hard speakers to drive, the Krell may not be enough (never heard it tho so take it for what it's worth).....
    System 1: Martin Logan Vantage, Rotel RC 1070, B&K Reference 200.2, Music Hall DAC 15.2, Yamaha 2300

System 2: LSi15 w/db840, Marantz SR8400, Rotel 1080, RM6800 (C&S), Sony X2020ES

System 3: LSi7, Yamaha SW215, Music Hall Maven, Music Hall MMF CD25 w/627opamps

System 4: RTi100, Harman Kardon AVR 230, Panasonic DVD
  • LuSh
    LuSh Posts: 887
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I can't compare Krell's intergrated vs separates but I can say this. After 3months of research and knowing that Krell took alot of heat for the Krell 500i intergrated (over $4000) I know the 400xi was a lost leader from them. I'm quite happy with mine. I decided long ago I didn't want to deal with additional interconnects and power cords. I'm considering an Elrod or Purist, if I had to deal with a pre/amp that is easily another grand gone in additional wires etc...perhaps I'm crazy in assuming a number like that for mere interconnects and PC's but that's an entirely new discussion that has been beaten to death.
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2006
    Options
    LuSh wrote:
    I can't compare Krell's intergrated vs separates but I can say this. After 3months of research and knowing that Krell took alot of heat for the Krell 500i intergrated (over $4000) I know the 400xi was a lost leader from them.

Lush,

What do you mean Lost Leader?

Zero (Shawn.... er, Sean... hehehe),

I'm gonna call you tomorrow night.... past 9p cuz that's when I get free minutes. Looking forward catching up with you and your ideas about this amp subject.
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Zero wrote:
    Joey,

Looking forward to it. Not to speak for Lush - but what he just made a simple typing error. He meant to say loss-leader.

A loss-leader product is one a company puts out that yeilds very little profit, at least in respect to their standard bottom line.

Ah... lost leader and loss leader are two very different things.... cool cool.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Wasn't the the infamous Krell integrated the KAV 300i?

I agree with Sean, you can't judge the sound by the size, specs or look of the pieces. I can also say from personal experience that there are high end integrated amps that can perform at and far above separates in the same price range and then some.

As always, it would be best if you could demo both set ups that you are considering before choosing.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Just to throw in my two cents, having heard a rotel combo (1090 and don't know which pre-), the krell 400xi and the Musical Fidelity A5, the rotel finished dead last in my mind. My preference was the A5, then the 400xi, and I didn't like the 1090 combo at all. This was on Wilson Watt/puppies and B&W 802's.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • LuSh
    LuSh Posts: 887
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Yes it was a typing error. Loss-leader.

F1nut: Both the 300i and 500i (rare and expensive) were both huge flops for Krell. Having said that some say the 500i was one of the most overlooked amps during its run.
  • kingkip
    kingkip Posts: 401
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Zero wrote:

I have come to appreciate that until you get into the mega-buck range, integrated amps are really the way to go. That’s my preference. I’d rather pay for a high quality integrated than purchase lesser separate components.

Not to hijack the thread, but Zero, why do you think that? This is a line of thought that I hadn't come across yet and I am intrigued. I don't have a lot of experience in the higher end, and this may influence the way I was thinking of going.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
    There are two ways to argue with women. Both of them are wrong.
  • F1nut
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Lush, got it and thanks.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Go listen and bring home the one that sounds better. Forget about cap size, forget about how cool it looks. it matter what speakers your driving it with and how they pair up.
    Krell and Rotel are not in the same class. But that doesn't mean You have to like one or the other due to any reasons except sound quality and the ability to drive your speakers.

Get off the forum and go listen

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gregure
    gregure Posts: 871
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Well, just to throw in one more zinger, I know that Gayle Saunders, owner of Martin Logan, uses Krell to power his E Statement 2 system in Kansas. If Krell is the choice of the makers of Martin Logan, I'm sure you'll be happy with the results on your own set of ML's. I'd go with with the Krell any day. It's really a steal in terms of price vs. performance.
    Current System:

Mitsubishi 30" LCD LT-3020 (for sale**)
    Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand (Rosewood)-Mains (with Audioquest Mont Blanc cables)
    CSi5-Center (for sale**)
    FXi3-surrounds (for sale**)
    Martin Logan Depth-Sub
    B&K AVR 507
    Pimare CD21-CD Player
    Denon 1815-DVD Player
    Panamax M5500-EX-Line Conditioner
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I think F1 and Mantis nailed it; you got to go demo both and in your own home if you can swing it on your speakers / room.

Start saving for that Wadia cd player too.. Sweeeeet.
  • crazy
    edited February 2006
    Options
    A slightly off-topic question, but why are these soooo expensive??? They cannot be better than the Krell, can they?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QoPhbDPWetN/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=10420&I=580TXNR1K

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QoPhbDPWetN/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=10420&I=033AV5805B
    www.distantdream.com
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited February 2006
    Options
    'cause people look at the back panel and say, "HOLY ****!"

Still you'd be better off with $2k pre like anthem or b&k plus a $2k 7 channel amp, plus a couple Adcoms for the multiroom functions. That's just too much crap in one box for my taste.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Ferres
    Ferres Posts: 310
    edited February 2006
    Options
    crazy wrote:
    A slightly off-topic question, but why are these soooo expensive??? They cannot be better than the Krell, can they?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QoPhbDPWetN/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=10420&I=580TXNR1K

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QoPhbDPWetN/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=10420&I=033AV5805B

It's really for people who want to try the high-end but are put off by the extra work in setting up separates. :p
    Gear: Rotel RC 1082, Rotel RSP 1068 pre/pro, Rotel RMB1077 amp, Cayin CDT 15a CD player, S301 bluray.

Speakers: Tannoy DC sensys speakers, Paradigm Servo15 Sub, Velo Spl-1500r

Conditioner: Isotek :D
  • F1nut
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Crazy, that's very off topic. 2 channel and HT are very different animals.

President of Club Polk

• miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    edited February 2006
    Options
    The Rotel RC-1070 pre for $500 MSRP is hard to beat for the money. Sure, it may not be the best in class but I venture to say it is the best bang/$$ out there for a separate pre. The RC-1090 (now discontinued in US) is jsut a tad better sounding but more bells & whisltes. The RC-1070 is cleaner looking i my opinion. The RB-1090 has been touted as being the best sub-$2500 amp on the market. It all depends on your speaker choice. Best you can do is audition at your home if dealer will let you.
    [
  • crazy
    edited February 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    Crazy, that's very off topic. 2 channel and HT are very different animals.

ah! Didn't realize. I guess that explains - my friends does have a stereo setup. So I assume he would need a surround processor to go 5.1, right?
    www.distantdream.com
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Yup.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Krazyz1
    Krazyz1 Posts: 256
    edited January 2010
    Options
    If you you go to Stereophile archives they did a shoot out on 1090 and a Krell. Both had great reviews but the Rotel won in the end for a couple reasons in reviewers eyes. Price difference , Amazing sound stage and vocal clarity. The Krell is no slouch and it was a cat's whisker division decision.
  • math-geek
    math-geek Posts: 18
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Krazyz1 wrote: »
    If you you go to Stereophile archives they did a shoot out on 1090 and a Krell. Both had great reviews but the Rotel won in the end for a couple reasons in reviewers eyes. Price difference , Amazing sound stage and vocal clarity. The Krell is no slouch and it was a cat's whisker division decision.

What preamp did they use with the Rotel? Sterophile is notorious for using an outrageous preamp with a fairly budget amp. The preamp makes a huge difference!

I used my brothers Carver C1 preamp with a Carver TFM-75 with my Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SEs before I settled on the Krell 400xi. I am missing nothing and gained much!