Polk Cs20 VS S35

txcrowetxcrowe Posts: 2
I currently have a Polk CS20 Center . Would a Polk S35 be an upgrade or downgrade or the same? The rest of my set up are Polk TSi Series.

Thanks!

Comments

• mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,118
    I’d stick with the CS20, as it was designed to match your TSi speakers. It’ll sound a lot better than the S35 because it matches.
    Now, which is better? I don’t know. But, unless your planning to upgrade to the Signature series, I’d stick with the CS20.
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    NAD C352
    Monitor Audio Radius R90’s/Polk SDA CRS/Mission Freedom 770 IV
    BJC speaker cables, generic RCA’s, one homemade power cable, because that’s going to do any good with the rest of the generic ones.
    Technics SL3200 turntable and a Shure M97xE phono cartridge
    Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer
    Lafayette LR-1100 acting as a tuner and phono.
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • txcrowetxcrowe Posts: 2
    the form factor of the S35 would help me as the large body of the current CS20 limits what I can do based on the height of my wall mounted TV and the entertainment center itself. I just don't want to downgrade audio quality. From things I see online it sounds like the S35 would be an upgrade but I've been shy to pull the trigger.
    I think that’s the S35 is a better all around speaker, but since the CS20 matches, it’d sound better.
    Now, it wouldn’t be too much of a difference, and if space is a concern, he S35 is probably the way to go. Either will certainly do fine. But if I had to choose one, it’d be the CS20, but I don’t have any space concerns so YMMV.
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    NAD C352
    BJC speaker cables, generic RCA’s, one homemade power cable, because that’s going to do any good with the rest of the generic ones.
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
    Of course, with us being enablers here, we could find some way to tell you that you have to upgrade to the Signatures... then your performance could be maximized all around. ;)
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    NAD C352
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,615
    What @mlistens03 is trying to say is that the sound won't be seamless from front left and right to center as the tweeter is different. There will be some localization of sound (you can pick out the center instead of one cohesive image). I say if you need it based on your set up and it would work better space wise just get it and try it. You won't see a high step up in SQ until you get to beefy centers and add some dedicated power.

You might notice the difference but you might get used to it after a week or so. Buy it, don't like it after a week send it back.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' 4K

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Grado SE80
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Polk RTA11TL
    Polk TSI200s
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    What mlistens03 is trying to say is that the sound won't be seamless from front left and right to center as the tweeter is different. There will be some localization of sound (you can pick out the center instead of one cohesive image). I say if you need it based on your set up and it would work better space wise just get it and try it. You won't see a high step up in SQ until you get to beefy centers and add some dedicated power.

You might notice the difference but you might get used to it after a week or so. Buy it, don't like it after a week send it back.

Thank you, you explained it much better than I did. :)
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    NAD C352
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 22,246
    Timbre matching is over rated. Ymmv
    - Not Tom

Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,615
    VR3 wrote: »
    Timbre matching is over rated. Ymmv

I've never been nitpicky enough with my HT to care so it's never been an issue for me. I'd say go for it.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' 4K

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Grado SE80
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Polk RTA11TL
    Polk TSI200s
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    I don't think I've ever had a timbre matched ht, maybe when I first started, but quality speakers sound better than 5 matched lower quality speakers.... 😜
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,618
    edited October 10
    VR3 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever had a timbre matched ht, maybe when I first started, but quality speakers sound better than 5 matched lower quality speakers.... 😜

Agreed. The OP should try the speaker he's thinking about. There's a fair chance he'll like what he hears. Three identical speakers sounds best. I can tell a difference. Even with timbre-matched speakers, traditional horizontal center speakers always sound a little off to me, particularly when playing test tones. However, if the difference is only noticeable then, who cares?
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,030
    edited October 10
    I have never had matching speakers, and my system sounds fine to me. My center channel is a big Boston VR-920 speaker that is very clear, and with it being fed by an amplifier, I can hear all the music and dialog.

I wouldn't change it out for anything except maybe a bigger matching Signature center channel. But since that isn't going to happen I'll keep my Boston speaker.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • Gurm42Gurm42 Posts: 29
    There is a real difference, having matched speakers. I didn't think so, but I'm a convert to having a matched center. Unless you don't care about a single field of sound. If you don't mind knowing that the center is separate from the sides, then go for it. Or, just if you want to. LOL.
    Home Theater:
    Yamaha RX-V377 AVR
    Polk Monitor 70 Series II (Front)
    Polk Monitor 15C (Center)
    Polk Monitor 40 (Rear)
    Polk PSW-110 (Sub)
    LG 60" Plasma (6650)
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,744
    I've had both, matching center speakers, and different brands. Sometimes it works out for the better with different brands as the center, sometimes not. Depends on how much difference is in that tweeter in the center.

Most of the time, you can get away with different Polk centers as their tweeters aren't too different....depending on the series anyway. For instance, the LSI centers won't gel well with the RTI or monitor series. Sig series should be ok with RTI, monitor, TSI series. Not a vastly huge difference.

If you concerns are space, the S65 should work, but I don't see that big of savings in the size department. As for sound, I'd hit the S65 as the better speaker sound wise.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1430 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,589
    +1 for mismatched centers, look at both my systems. My first priority is music, so I get the best LR speakers I can afford/find/will fit the space and SAF. Then I see if I can afford and fit the matching center. The answer is often no, I either don't wanna pay that much or it won't fit. So, I try something that is a good center and seems like it might be in the same tonal ballpark, and let calibration do its thing. Usually works out fine...

Now, if you watch a lot of action movies or play a lot of immersive games, I don't doubt you might notice the difference. But I watch maybe 1-2 movies a month and don't play games, so for TV and netflix the closish matched center is fine for me...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio Nova Integrated; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; LG UP870 4K BDP

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine B, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, Squeezebox Touch
  • Gurm42Gurm42 Posts: 29
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    +1 for mismatched centers, look at both my systems. My first priority is music, so I get the best LR speakers I can afford/find/will fit the space and SAF. Then I see if I can afford and fit the matching center. The answer is often no, I either don't wanna pay that much or it won't fit. So, I try something that is a good center and seems like it might be in the same tonal ballpark, and let calibration do its thing. Usually works out fine...

Now, if you watch a lot of action movies or play a lot of immersive games, I don't doubt you might notice the difference. But I watch maybe 1-2 movies a month and don't play games, so for TV and netflix the closish matched center is fine for me...

I don't disagree. The Home Theater, however, is mostly for ... movies and games. And for that having a matched set of Monitor series (although they are from different gens) is more important to me than it might be to you. For music, I'm still futzing around with my secondary system. Looking for an older H/K head because I like the tone, and then pairing it with some serious 12-15" three-ways.
    Home Theater:
    Yamaha RX-V377 AVR
    Polk Monitor 70 Series II (Front)
    Polk Monitor 15C (Center)
    Polk Monitor 40 (Rear)
    Polk PSW-110 (Sub)
    LG 60" Plasma (6650)
    I think as long as you use common sense, it would be hard to notice the difference.

I wouldn't pair bose cubes with Polk lsim but brands that lean towards the brighter side or warmer side, etc paired together isn't a bad call
    - Not Tom

• mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,467
    S35 will blend well with theTSI line. Use you're AVR calibration to blend it the best.

I was using a TSX250C with my S60 till I got my CSi-A6. Both blend very good with my S60.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk T15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2