$1700 for a soundbar???

rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,589
HT Rig:
Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio Nova Integrated; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; LG UP870 4K BDP

Master Bedroom
Marantz SR-5007; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine B, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, Squeezebox Touch

Comments

• rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,589
    Creative...wow. Didn’t know they were still in business?

I mean I get the SAF of the soundbar, and I guess there are dudes out there with money whose spouses won’t let them get anything else, but man you could put together a decent 5.1 system for that kind a dough...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio Nova Integrated; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; LG UP870 4K BDP

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine B, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, Squeezebox Touch
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,712
    If you're spending that, just get the Martin Logan: https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MLVISIONX
    Got Dayens?
  • krazypolkkrazypolk Posts: 287
    rooftop59 wrote: »

In it's defense, it did get 4 1/2 stars. :)
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 4,609
    Clipdat wrote: »
    If you're spending that, just get the Martin Logan: https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MLVISIONX

Except that the ML doesn't offer DTS-X or Dolby Atmos decoding/surround. Just the base layer surround options.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,712
    Ah, that's an important distinction, yes. I was mainly thinking about audio quality, but yeah a lot of people need/want those surround sound formats.
    Got Dayens?
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,615
    But does it have Alexa?

Polk: 1
    Samsung: 0
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' 4K

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Grado SE80
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Polk RTA11TL
    Polk TSI200s
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,867
    Putting together a sound system takes work. Soundbars minimize or reduce altogether the work necessary. It might not be as good as a dedicated system, but the convenience factor dictates how they sell. I personally don't think $1,600 is unreasonable if the quality is there, especially since it includes two surround speakers AND a subwoofer. How much did the Bose solutions of yesteryear go for? How much did it cost to install them seamlessly? How good was the sound quality? I'd imagine this solution is cheaper, easier to install, and sounds better.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,615
    Different strokes for different folks. I feel like our crowd are somewhat tinkerers, at least I am. I like messing with placement, experimenting but my sister asked me what soundbar should she get so I understand the need.

Btw went with the Magnifi Mini since she has a little one and wants a small footprint. She likes it...or so I assume since she hasn't reached out to complain to me about it.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' 4K

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Grado SE80
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Polk RTA11TL
    Polk TSI200s
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    The Mini might be the best sound you can get for $300. It has always impressed those I've shown it to, whether they are audiophiles or not.

I have no problem with the sound bar movement. I think the all in one solution is perfect and given their ease of install, versatility in placement, and digital connections with built in amps, AND included wireless subs and sometimes wireless speakers, these are very cost effective solutions that don't require ripping your home apart and having to leave them when you move. They have come a long ways since their introduction 10 or so years ago.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,118
    I think that I'll stick with HiFi gear... but, I know a lot of people who would rather have this.
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    NAD C352
    Monitor Audio Radius R90’s/Polk SDA CRS/Mission Freedom 770 IV
    BJC speaker cables, generic RCA’s, one homemade power cable, because that’s going to do any good with the rest of the generic ones.
    Technics SL3200 turntable and a Shure M97xE phono cartridge
    Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer
    Lafayette LR-1100 acting as a tuner and phono.
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
    At a certain level I get it. I understand the guy who wants better sound for movies and sports, who thinks that Bluetooth speakers are fine for music, and whose spouse is not going to tolerate lots of gear. If the price range is say, $300-500, given those other criteria it totally makes sense. But being a music first guy, and a cheapskate, I would MUCH rather get a pair of solid bookshelf speakers and a receiver for the same money.

It’s really the price tag that I can’t get past...
    HT Rig:

Master Bedroom
    At a certain level I get it. I understand the guy who wants better sound for movies and sports, who thinks that Bluetooth speakers are fine for music, and whose spouse is not going to tolerate lots of gear. If the price range is say, $300-500, given those other criteria it totally makes sense. But being a music first guy, and a cheapskate, I would MUCH rather get a pair of solid bookshelf speakers and a receiver for the same money.

It’s really the price tag that I can’t get past...

Consider that the client who would normally buy these products would spend twice as much on a receiver/speaker set to compete and have to deal with the frustration of that setup. These aren't really for enthusiasts but those who value quality. The type who buy this don't want or even care/realize that they can buy gear on the used market to compete. They wouldn't know where to begin.
    audiothesis.com/

• rpf65rpf65 Posts: 1,754
    I think those in the market just want more dialogue clarity, and/or just louder than the TV speakers are capable. Figure that’s about 2/3 of the market.

My cousin is the perfect example. Satisfied with a sound bar, until she buys a movie she really wants to see. Then it’s up to my place where she says: “Put this in”, or “What do I do to watch this movie?”
  • tratlifftratliff Posts: 650
    I have two, what some might consider expensive, soundbars. What they do and where they do it they work great.

Now, I would never give up my 2-channel/theater system for them, but to have them in the additional locations throughout the house they are awesome.

Like others have said. Different strokes for different folks.
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables

Theater
    Yamaha RX-Z9, Legacy Focus SE (same as 2 Channel system), Def Tech C/L/R 2500, Def Tech BP-2X, Def Tech Pro-Monitors, Vizio M-75

Office
    Teac NP-H750, Parasound Ztuner, Audio Engine P4N, Grado SR80, Grado iGrado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, PC running High Rez files

Living Room
    Yamaha YSP-4100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 60"

Bed Room
    Yamaha YSP-5100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 70"

edited September 27
    I get the soundbar thing in general, I do. We have been casually perusing new houses, and most have either two living areas or a living room and HT, and often times in at least one of the living areas there is a fireplace with a mounted tv and not much space for much else. Soundbar would make perfect sense, greatly improve causally listening. But I can't get over the cost. I can afford it, but I'm not going to spend it lol...

But it does come down largely to being willing to hunt, buy used, and piece together a high quality system for pennies on the dollar vs. new. And as Skip says, lots of folks just aren't willing to do that.
    HT Rig:

Master Bedroom
  • tratlifftratliff Posts: 650
    edited September 27
    @rooftop59. It seems we are thinking the same. I use the soundbars in locations that I can't get WAF. She lets me have my room, but the living room and bedroom are hers. She allows soundbars but not racks of equipment. And our living room is just as you describe. TV over the fireplace. I had the mantel custom built to house the soundbar under the TV. The TV sits directly above. The mantel actually protects the soundbar from heat of the fireplace but we don't have many fires here in Texas.

Biggest problem is the TV is to high. But when we stand in the kitchen and watch it, which is about 90% of its usage, it is perfect.

0312zafbliey.jpg

But right around the corner from the soundbar I have this. Which is where I spend the majority of my TV time.

3r873hagwn89.jpg
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables

Theater
    Yamaha RX-Z9, Legacy Focus SE (same as 2 Channel system), Def Tech C/L/R 2500, Def Tech BP-2X, Def Tech Pro-Monitors, Vizio M-75

Office
    Teac NP-H750, Parasound Ztuner, Audio Engine P4N, Grado SR80, Grado iGrado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, PC running High Rez files

Living Room
    Yamaha YSP-4100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 60"

Bed Room
    Yamaha YSP-5100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 70"

• krazypolk wrote: »

You don't spend that kind of money on a soundbar and then rip on its performance. :)
    Polk SDA SRS 1
    Yamaha M-65 (2x, bi-amped)
    Pioneer Elite SC-99
    Oppo UDP-203
    Polk CS350 center
    Polk MC-60 4x Atmos
    Polk AB700 side surround
    krazypolk wrote: »

You don't spend that kind of money on a soundbar and then rip on its performance. :)

Well, that was a company provided review sample I am sure, not something that the reviewer's paod for...
    HT Rig:

Master Bedroom
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,197
    edited September 28
    tratliff wrote: »
    ....Biggest problem is the TV is to high. But when we stand in the kitchen and watch it, which is about 90% of its usage, it is perfect.
    This had to be the craziest thing that architects, builders, and designers have come up with since LCD TV's came to market. This should be just a No No if this is the main room for watching TV's and its an older house. What kills me even more are new builds that have this. If you MUST build it why not offer it with a low fireplace so the TV can be at watchable height? Some are starting to offer it now but I've seen new builds that with the high fireplace.[/img]
    tratliff wrote: »
    But right around the corner from the soundbar I have this. Which is where I spend the majority of my TV time.
    3r873hagwn89.jpg
    NICE!, Very Nice!

As far as soundbars, I think these new ones with all of the features and better sounds work out well for bedrooms or for those that don't want clutter. And I'm sure that Samsung sounds nice as some of their stuff sound a little better than some of the other brand out there like LG, Vizio, etc. Also, I was surprised how well the Bose sounded over all of the other bars in Best Buy. Its in the same price range when mated with the sub. I could see someone with the money to spend buying it over the others.

FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • machonemachone Posts: 1,004
    My wife has complained about the tv sound in the bedroom. The Magnifi Mini would be a perfect fit.
    Mojo Audio Joule v5>>Quantum Byte w/JRiver 24 and Fidelizer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts PA-6 Elite Mod)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modified)...SDA-1A (Fully Modified with Dimensional Tweeter Delete)
    1KVA Dreadnought
    Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 10,127
    I bought this Samsung MS650 sound bar for $450. I sure there are better, but it sounds great to me. Dialogue is clear, and when I put on one of the cable music only channels it sounds fine. I put the TV in that mode when I work at home, and need background music.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-MS650-Soundbar-Extended-Warranty/dp/B071KZV36B/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1538187633&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ms650+samsung+sound+bar&psc=1
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.