Possible move: Cincinnatti - any experience with Cinci?

Options
Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,520
edited September 2018 in The Clubhouse
Any of you guys have experience with Cinci? Anyone here live there?

As it turns out, I might be moving out there from Dallas. I have 3 interviews this Sunday 9/16.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    No, but Cincinnati will get you more cogent google hits! ;)

All I know about the city is from WKRP in... and the awful tragedy there before a Who concert ca. 1979.

• Joey_V
    Options
    Lol... too many consonants!!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Can't comment on the city, but good luck on your interviews!
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Lol... too many consonants!!

Don't even think about moving to Abu... Ablu... Abul... Albu... Albuquerque!.

;)

PS, yes, good luck indeed, to (both!) of you!

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I do know that this is *not* where the Ohio River caught fire.
    My wife lived there for a couple of years.
    It is the home of Graeter's Ice Cream...arguably the greatest ice cream in the land.
    The Bengals are there...and are my nephew's favorite football team for some strange reason since he is an inside linebacker with a pretty bright future...
    The Reds are too...I believe they had a racist owner at some point.

I mean honestly, it is like any other city in the US...you can find good and bad there.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • krazypolk
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    It is the home of Graeter's Ice Cream...arguably the greatest ice cream in the land.
    The Bengals are there...and are my nephew's favorite football team for some strange reason since he is an inside linebacker with a pretty bright future...

I mean honestly, it is like any other city in the US...you can find good and bad there.

I'm offended.
    She wasn't racist, she was just a good ole gal.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    “I was a medium person. I should get to spend eternity in a medium place! Like Cincinnati.” - Eleanor from the Good Place

Other than that I got nothing, but I tend to agree with @ZLTFUL that other than proximity to family a city is what you make of it...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Cincinnati is a great City, winters suck though.

The Queen City.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • motorhead43026
    edited September 2018
    Options

The Cuyahoga River is the one that caught fire, in Cleveland.

Marge Schott was the Reds owner you are referring to. I think she relinquished control in 1999.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• Joey_V
    Options
    As long the winters aren’t as bad as Chicago’s.

I think not all cities are equal.

I have been researching and Cinci has a musical hall, symphony, an active orchestral and ballet scene. Also seems to have a good choice of food and seems approacheable from the suburbs from a traffic standpoint.

Contrast that to where my brother is at (Lexington KY) where he doesn’t have the music options and nor the entertainment options.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I’m tired of big cities, I’m going to try a medium city now. I’ll know for sure when I visit Cinci this weekend
  • krazypolk
    Options

Marge Schott was the Bengals owner you are referring to. I think she relinquished control in 1999.

Nope, she was the Reds owner. Baseball not football.
  • mhardy6647
    Options

I have been researching and Cinci has a musical hall, symphony, an active orchestral and ballet scene. Also seems to have a good choice of food and seems approacheable from the suburbs from a traffic standpoint.

Contrast that to where my brother is at (Lexington KY) where he doesn’t have the music options and nor the entertainment options.

You might like Boston -- 'til you got to the winters. :p

• motorhead43026
    edited September 2018
    Options

I lived in Lexington, Ky for 20 years. There is nothing there, no comparison to Cincinnati. Cincy has it all, food, arts, music and entertainment.

• motorhead43026
    edited September 2018
    Options
    krazypolk wrote: »

Marge Schott was the Bengals owner you are referring to. I think she relinquished control in 1999.

Nope, she was the Reds owner. Baseball not football.

LOL, that is what I meant (Reds). I dislike the Bengals, very much. Had bengals on my mind.

I fixed it, thanks

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    The airport is in Kentucky. :o
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    Talk to the locals, winters are cold...
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Joey_V
    Options

I lived in Lexington, Ky for 20 years. There is nothing there, no comparison to Cincinnati. Cincy has it all, food, arts, music and entertainment.

That’s what I figured in my research
  • Joey_V
    Options
    warren wrote: »
    Talk to the locals, winters are cold...

As long as it's not as bad as Chicago's where I grew up.
  • Viking64
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    All I know about the city is from WKRP in... and the awful tragedy there before a Who concert ca. 1979.

Yeah, those two things and these two guys. Pete Rose and Johnny Bench.

b4nau2m3l3bd.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    The airport is in Kentucky. :o

Watchin' them planes...

https://youtu.be/tyyq_Mye6so
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    Any of you guys have experience with Cinci? Anyone here live there?

As it turns out, I might be moving out there from Dallas. I have 3 interviews this Sunday 9/16.

Two words....

LONI ANDERSON
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Man... moving is gonna be painful.

I'm thinking the move for the audio system is going to be very painful.
  • Viking64
    Options

Look on the bright side: You'll probably have the nicest system in the whole city. :p
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Yeah, those two things and these two guys. Pete Rose and Johnny Bench.

b4nau2m3l3bd.jpg

I was an Orioles fan in those days -- we don't talk about those guys and the Reds :)
  • GospelTruth
    Options
    Midwest? I say go West young man, go West. However, I'm sure you are looking there for something particular with your profession in the medical field. Like folks said, you can find the good and bad in every city.

To me, it's more about what you want from the location. We moved to Reno from the midwest (Michigan). My family is all back in Michigan, but I don't think I would ever move back. I like the proximity to the mountains, low humidity, the low tax burden, 300+ sunny days a year, small city size and the mild winters here in the valley compared to Michigan.

However, having been a consultant for 18+ years travelling on the road to a lot of cities around the country, I will concur that you can find the good in any city you live in.

Good luck with the interviews!
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I'd pick Columbus over Cincinnati, but Cincinnati does have more history/personality and major league sports franchises. The Ohio River and the few bridges over it are of course a big feature and obstacle. Suburbia around Cincinnati is nice, but getting into the congested downtown area daily can be a real drag because everything funnels into a tight area. Culturally, it's a mix of old industrial north and Appalachian transplants. There is a large corporate headquarters presence there which helps to support the arts and pro sports teams. It's sort of similar to Louisville, KY, although a bit less southern in character.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I'd pick Columbus over Cincinnati, but Cincinnati does have more history/personality and major league sports franchises. The Ohio River and the few bridges over it are of course a big feature and obstacle. Suburbia around Cincinnati is nice, but getting into the congested downtown area daily can be a real drag because everything funnels into a tight area. Culturally, it's a mix of old industrial north and Appalachian transplants. There is a large corporate headquarters presence there which helps to support the arts and pro sports teams. It's sort of similar to Louisville, KY, although a bit less southern in character.

This is definitely the kind of insider info I would like.

I did not like COlumbus when I interviewed there for residency. Too much of a college-town.

I would like to see what the suburban life is like for Cinci...

Re the field, the pay is near par to Dallas.

Out west, the pay gets slightly less. Plus California does not have tort reform.

Northwest might be nice.

I looked into COlorado, but the pay is wow... a lot less.
  • Joey_V
    edited September 2018
    Options

Look on the bright side: You'll probably have the nicest system in the whole city. :p

I doubt that.... haha

There's some areas in Cinci that are untouchable from a cost standpoint. Indian Hills is one.

https://realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/9200-Shawnee-Run-Rd_Cincinnati_OH_45243_M34167-42717#photo6

One thing I will miss here in Dallas though is my audiophile group I founded.
    :(