Found a pair of 3.1tl's

kmeekkmeek Posts: 160
edited July 12 in Vintage Speakers
OK long story short last week I bought a pair of 3.1tl's. The oak cabinets were dryer then a bone and the left SL3000 Tweeter was out. Immediately ordered the RD0 replacements and did much needed cabinet rejuvenation and dusting. The tweeters just came in and I replaced them out. Finally able to audition them proper.......... OMG!!!!!! I am in love!!

Why didn't you tell me??? LOL... :)

teiszk6hxddd.jpg

jb43qyapz0as.jpg

34cy77l4vfcj.jpg

m4niiolnuwt0.jpg

Comments

• OleBootOleBoot Posts: 274
    F1nut wrote: »
    The wood is supposed to be dry, it's dead.

Like you?
    I started out with nothing and have most of it left.
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,448
    OleBoot wrote: »

Like you?

No, Jesse is undead....
  • honestaquarianhonestaquarian Posts: 1,950
    edited July 17
    @kmeek
    I was already happy as a piggitty with mine. Then I joined the last group buy for 1000 VA isolation transformer and went down the rabbit hole and went all in with Larry's rings( @Toolfan66 ) and transformer case. As well as some black hole 5 and new crossovers and wires from @VR3
    Now I am in heaven!!!
    These were truly the missing link in the SDA lineup.
    Not too big like their larger brethren and still capable of some deep and tight bass as well as a rock solid center image. They STILL produce a HUGE sound stage depending on the electronics you feed them with.
    Post edited by KennethSwauger on
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,807
    That's a great looking pair you've turned them into! Congrats on the find!
    Got Dayens?
  • headrottheadrott Posts: 5,286
    Those are in great looking shape. You would have wanted to replace the tweeters anyway, so be happy you bought the RD0's. Glad you are liking these excellent speakers. (Continue to) Enjoy.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • mn_polk_guymn_polk_guy Posts: 41
    Those are sweet B) wish I could find a pair of 3.1s
    M4.6, 5jr, Monitor 5, 7, 10. RTA 11tl. SDA 2B.
  • Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 3,249
    Congrats on your 3.1's! After owning many different models of SDA's, the 3.1's are my reference.

Upgrade those x-overs with premium components and hear what they are truly capable of.

Enjoy!
    SDA SRS 3.1TL's/SDA CRS+4.1TL's and some other stuff
  • lawdogglawdogg Posts: 274
    Congrats - I've owned all kinds of speakers and the more I hear, the more I realize the 3.1TLs are a really special treat.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • kmeekkmeek Posts: 160

Yeah but they were like Petrified Forest dead!!! :p

By the way the RD0's are breaking in very nicely......

Now for the upgrades......... :D
  • kmeekkmeek Posts: 160
    @kmeek
    I was already happy as a piggitty in some shiggitty with mine. Then I joined the last group buy for 1000 VA isolation transformer and went down the rabbit hole and went all in with Larry's rings( @Toolfan66 ) and transformer case. As well as some black hole 5 and new crossovers and wires from @VR3
    Now I am in heaven!!!
    Not too big like their larger brethren and still capable of some deep and tight bass as well as a rock solid center image. They STILL produce a HUGE sound stage depending on the electronics you feed them with.

@honestaquarian, Yes fortunately or unfortunately I have 4 pair of speakers that I want to "go down the rabbit hole with". I am starting to accumulate upgrade parts. I have Larry's rings for 1/2 of them. Got in on the 1000va transformer (and had built an 800va just before the group buy came up). I am thinking about tackling the 3.1's first since they are the smallest of the 4 and I would think might be a little easier to upgrade before having to man handle the big boys..... :)
  • honestaquarianhonestaquarian Posts: 1,950
    edited July 18
    kmeek wrote: »
    @kmeek
    I was already happy as a piggitty in some shiggitty with mine. Then I joined the last group buy for 1000 VA isolation transformer and went down the rabbit hole and went all in with Larry's rings( @Toolfan66 ) and transformer case. As well as some black hole 5 and new crossovers and wires from @VR3
    Now I am in heaven!!!

@honestaquarian, Yes fortunately or unfortunately I have 4 pair of speakers that I want to "go down the rabbit hole with". I am starting to accumulate upgrade parts. I have Larry's rings for 1/2 of them. Got in on the 1000va transformer (and had built an 800va just before the group buy came up). I am thinking about tackling the 3.1's first since they are the smallest of the 4 and I would think might be a little easier to upgrade before having to man handle the big boys..... :)

Easy IS NOT a word that I would apply to doing these upgrades. It took me months to do mine. Feel free to look over my SDA upgrade thread.
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,796
    edited July 18
    LOL.....it takes hours not months.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,569
    The 3.1tl might be my favorite vintage Polk. Perhaps even the best they've made IMO.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 17,678
    edited July 18
    those look fantastic ..
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with PS Audio NuWave Phono converter, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 525a CD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray , Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

• machonemachone Posts: 948
    Nice.......
    Mojo Audio Joule v5>>Quantum Byte w/JRiver 21 and Fidelizer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Marantz SA 8005>> Equinox 7>>
    ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature >>Equinox 7>>
    Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts PA-6 Elite Mod) >>Belden 5000 10 ga cables>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modified)...SDA-1A (Fully Modified with Dimensional Tweeter Delete)
    1KVA Dreadnought
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"