Closest alternative to 15" Passive

ZaPHoNZaPHoN Posts: 71
edited July 3 in Vintage Speakers
I suspect this would be a crap shoot but thought I'd throw it out there for speculation anyway.

What passive radiator would come the closest to the 1.2TL passive if someone was forced to use an alternative in the event that someone tripped and put their hand through one rendering it ruined.
Home Theater & Listening

RECEIVER Yamaha HTR6180
FRONT AMP McIntosh MC2125
THEATER AMP EMOTIVA XPA 7
FRONT Polk SDA 1B
CENTER Polk CsiA4
SURROUND LR KEF Cresta 30
REAR Polk Monitor 5
SUB Tannoy TS 10 Subwoofer
NAS 20 TB Raid 3 QNAP

Office

AMP Luxman L210
SPEAKERS Tannoy

Post edited by KennethSwauger on

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,213
    edited July 2
    1.2, SRS, SRS2 (blade/blade). All are SW150.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,658
    edited July 2
    Nooooooooo!!!!!!!! (in slo-mo of course)

Not sure if had is supposed to be head or hand, but either way....
  • ZaPHoNZaPHoN Posts: 71
    Hand. I corrected it. Nobody have any candidates for a close simulation?
    Home Theater & Listening

RECEIVER Yamaha HTR6180
    FRONT AMP McIntosh MC2125
    THEATER AMP EMOTIVA XPA 7
    FRONT Polk SDA 1B
    CENTER Polk CsiA4
    SURROUND LR KEF Cresta 30
    REAR Polk Monitor 5
    SUB Tannoy TS 10 Subwoofer
    NAS 20 TB Raid 3 QNAP

Office

AMP Luxman L210
    SPEAKERS Tannoy

• FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,658
    If you knew the mass and FS, it'd be easy
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 18,765
    well, the basic notion, as I understand it, is that the (moving?) mass of the PR is supposed to be the same as the mass of air occupying the volume of the port in a "normal" bass reflex cabinet (Helmholz resonator).

So, yeah, as long as the tuning characteristics are known for the enclosure, the proper mass should be 'straightforward' (as a mathematician might put it) to calculate.

In my (very!) limited experience with PRs, the storebought PRs usually have a threaded rod, to which mass (e.g., in the form of nuts and/or washers) may be added to determine and to achieve, semi-empirically, the correct mass for the PR.

This being said, does the compliance of the PR suspension also "enter into the equation", so to speak (perhaps literally)? B)

I dunno.
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)