Signature S60s strengths and weaknesses

Options
rburgess714
rburgess714 Posts: 616
edited May 2018 in Speakers
I am a big fan of my 60s and they work extremely well in my hybrid ht/ 2-channel rig. I really do like these speaker so this discussion is by no means intended to point out any flaws or bash them.

I often hear people say that certain speakers excel at strings or acoustic while another is great for rock n roll or classical. I am eager to hear others opinions on the strengths and weaknesses of the 60s or areas where they shine or fall short.

FWIW I am not shopping for any new speakers :) Well maybe if I find some SDAs locally but that is another thread.

RB
Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
Post edited by rburgess714 on

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @rburgess714,

I honestly don't detect much of a "weakness" in these speakers. I've had them for a while now and they continue to impress me. Not just for the money but, overall, I think that they reproduce music very well. It may be the synergy of the system as a whole? The soundstage is wide and deep. The bass is tight, fast, and accurate. The mids are palpable. Melody Gardot on vinyl is spooky good. It sounds like she's in the room. The high notes are extracting details I've not noticed before without being harsh or sibilant. I really like these speakers.

In a similar situation as you, I have these connected to my 2-channel stereo setup as well as my TV. I'm not going to call it an HT because it's just the 2 S60's which are connected to the TV via the analog outputs on the Panasonic plasma to the inputs on the Cary preamp. Sounds really good to me. Being in an apartment, we have to constantly turn the volume down when we're streaming content on the ROKU. Dialogue is quiet and then the special effects come thundering in. I'm really concerned about disturbing our neighbors as the floor shakes when the bass hits.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I also use S60's for 2 channel music. These replaced my SDA-2BTL. The SDA's just did not work in the space, although they are great speakers. The Sigs work very well in their place. I can't say one thing negative about the S60's, and I thoroughly enjoy them.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • firsttimer
    firsttimer Posts: 87
    Options
    I have had my s60’s in my home theatre for a little while now. Use for two channel and 7.2 home theatre. I think these speakers sound great in every aspect. I am thoroughly impressed whether watching movies, listening to two channel music etc. I cannot say anything negative about them period. Great all around speakers for any type of use. These are a true home run in my opinion. Every time I watch a movie or listen to music I find myself commenting on how good things sound
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    I love my S60's they perform well across the board for both music and movies. The bass is deep, and the tweeter is crystal clear without any sibilance. They are simply great all around speakers.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • rburgess714
    Options
    Man I can just feel the love for 60s.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    I loved the 60's and 70's, good times.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • rburgess714
    Options
    I loved the 60's and 70's, good times.

Haha... I bet. I was a little to young to experience them.
    Living Room

Office

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    This thread is making me want to get my ears on a pair of S60s. :drool:
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    I too like my S60 speakers. Nice detailed sound that doesn't hurt the ears when turned up like my RTi8 did.

I listen to a lot of different music Hair metal the most followed by some classical with a little country mixed in. The S60 has not let me down on any of it. When on a Sunday morning with a little sir Elton playing and the wife ask me to turn it up shows what a very good speaker is.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    I too like my S60 speakers. Nice detailed sound that doesn't hurt the ears when turned up like my RTi8 did.

I listen to a lot of different music Hair metal the most followed by some classical with a little country mixed in. The S60 has not let me down on any of it. When on a Sunday morning with a little sir Elton playing and the wife ask me to turn it up shows what a very good speaker is.

The brightness of the Rti series can easily be altered by changing one resistor value.