Sometimes the man card laws bite the big one...

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,188
What's up fellow Polkies? I have a story to tell you that involves the age old Man Card law that we simply do NOT read the instructions on anything. We either figure it out or build/use it outright.

Much like men not needing a map to get to where he is going. You know what I'm talkin'bout! No need to explain any further.

Well, I fell victim to the "Man Card Law" this past month when it came to my dishwasher. Let me tell you what happened. If you are not interested in the story, simply close out this discussion and move on.

Here goes....

When we moved into our new house about 3 years ago, the house already had new appliances in the kitchen. TOTL everything Samsung. This included the dishwasher. I thought, "cool, one less thing to worry about". The dishwasher noise rivals that of a Bosch, in that you can barely hear it when it is running. Basically, one does not even know the daggum thing is running unless it is draining and you hear the water rushing through the opening in the sink.

So, the noise level is acceptable on all levels. Check. Heck, I even asked my wife one time why she didn't start the dishwasher when I was standing right next to it.....silly me....it WAS running!

It's got all the bells and whistles and they all work. Check.

Stainless steel interior. Check.

Modern look? Check.

It had everything going for it but....and yes, here is the "BUT". Every once in a while, the packet that you leave in the soap dispenser would still be in the soap dispenser with the door not even open. Grrrr. No rhyme or reason to it. Grrrr.

Sometimes, the door for the soap would be open but the soap packet would be sitting down at the bottom of the dishwasher. Grrrr. Once again, no rhyme or reason to it. Grrrr.

Now, whenever this happened, the dishes would be somewhat clean but not as clean as one would expect out of even the cheapest of dishwashers.....so we would run it again.

Well, for the past 3 years, we put up with it. Then one day last week, we had to run the thing 3 times in a row and STILL, the original soap packet that went in the first time was barely disintegrated. Dishes still dirty.

F THAT!

Time for a new dishwasher. I got so daggum fed up with this horse puckey. Just buy a new one and call it a day. Right?

Then the better half of my brain said, screw the man card law.....I am going to troubleshoot and *gasp* read the instructions. (Don't take away my man card just yet, bear with me).

So I read the instructions and study them from the first page to the last and I discovered a few things.

First off, you don't have to fill up a container of "Finish" each time you load up the dishwasher. You fill it up and it will last about 40 loads. Cool deal! The size of "Finish" I buy runs around 7 bucks at Sam's and I thought it would only last about 5 or 6 loads tops. This is about a half a year supply! Sweet.

Then I go on to discover that the height of my utensils in the silverware trays were tall enough to hamper the middle spinner below the upper rack and above the lower rack. If the middle spinner isn't rotating, then the likelyhood of the temperature of the water hitting the temperature activated soap dispenser would be greatly diminished. Ah HA! I found the cure!!!

But not so fast...

Then I go on to read that the soap dispenser door must not be blocked by any object. Idgit. (me) Guess where we put our cutting boards sometimes? You guessed it. In the front of the dishwasher so the middle rotator wouldn't be hampered from spinning.....but I never stopped to think that it would be blocking the temperature activated soap dispenser. I mean, it was never in the way with the door open, right? DOH!

So anyways, I fill up the "Finish" dispenser (that anti-spot stuff that's supposed to help with drying). Lay down on the top rack my long utensils, insuring the middle spinner will operate unimpeded and I make sure that nothing will block the soap dispenser door from opening.

Damned thing has worked like a professional dishwasher ever since.

Lesson learned. F the man card rules and read the instructions. Preferably sooner rather than later. In my mind, I just got a brand new dishwasher that works flawlessly for free. My dishes have never been cleaner.

BTW, I use a GPS. LOL...

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    Funny story Tom. Them new fangled dishwashers are comp li cated...
    When my old dishwasher went on the fritz a swift kick the aaas i mean door worked pretty good
    Lol
  • treitz3
    This thread is dedicated to CFrizz....

She'll probably get a kick out of it!

Shut up Russ.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,190
    I'd be happy to find a dishwasher that actually removed my Chapstick from the rim of glasses.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    I thought all of that was simple ol' common sense.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Seriously Hermitism, try using Distilled White vinegar with a paper towel or popcorn salt on moistened paper towel. Should take it right off but you need to do this BEFORE placing them in the dishwasher.

Well, Jesse....you are right. Showoff. I made sure that the long utensils were way in the back of the silverware tray tucked away in the back corner. Check. But the utensils would shift during the cycle and once the arm was impeded? It stopped in its tracks.

Honestly, the cutting board issue impeding the soap dispenser from opening was something that I never put two and two together with. I guess when you close the door, it became and "out of sight, out of mind" kinda thing. I clearly failed on this one though. I will take a 5 point deduction off my common sense card for this oversight.

I have also never had a dishwasher with 3 rotating arms and a Storm cycle arm. That's 4 arms in one dishwasher that one has to pay attention too during the entire cycle.

Tom
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Dishes is wimmin's work Tom. She should have been the one to figure it out, and be grateful that men invented such a fine contraption to make her work a bit easier.

Consider this a warning... if we learn you are helping her with cleaning lint screen on the dryer, we will need to have you return that man card of yours. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,167
    I dunno .... reading the manual, that's kind of drastic.
    Generally speaking, giving an appliance/machine verbal encouragement works quite well too. :)
    Sal Palooza
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    As long as you didn't profess to the Misses your epiphany, man card is still intact! :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    edited April 2018
    No instructions needed, just the proper tool for the job. I find this one works for just about everything, from changing tubes in a tube amp, to getting my neighbor's dogs to shut up...

36pu5q4d90g1.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Most of us have had moments like that.

This is similar but no instuctions were needed. Just some investigative common sense to search out ALL opportunities that a bug could come from over 30 years of living here.

I've lived in this house for 32 years and not until a couple of years ago, did I find out BEHIND where the oil burner exhaust duct goes into the chimney, there was 3" all around the ceramic flue pipe, no sheetrock at all. There was a galvanized 2'x2' plate that blocked the view completely. It was offset from the wall by about 1-1/2" blocks near each corner. I thought the flue pipe was sealed at the wall behind that Galv. plate.

So there was easy access for bugs to come from the attic or crawl space into out furnace room and then into our home. :s We always thought the stray bug or spider came through the vents or attic pull down stairs.

If only I had looked up under that Galv. plate, I would've seen that gaping open ring around the flue pipe. :(

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    As a corollary to this thread, I just remodeled the kitchen in our home. Did most of the work myself, including installing all Viking appliances. Including dishwasher. She never uses it, as she prefers to wash by hand. Ran it only a couple times for testing. Go figure!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    My wife has blocked the detergent door on occasion. I have never done so. o:)
  • treitz3
    verb wrote: »
    As long as you didn't profess to the Misses your epiphany, man card is still intact! :smiley:

Now, how can I do that and not tell her how to load the dishwasher? Sorry man. I had to tell her. She LOVES doing the dishes now.

BTW, I have a great relationship with the wife and we share many chores. Cooking and cleaning are but some that we share. I hold no shame in that. Especially since I can be pretty a n a (fill in the last letter) about some things.

Tom
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    ^^^^^^^
    That's signature stuff there! :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • treitz3
    She would call Shenanegan's. She's a smart woman and if I hadn't figured it out in 3 years? She would damned sure know something was up.

She may not know how much I have spent over the years in stereo gear but the obvious stuff? Yeah, I don't even try to pull one over on her. Not smart.....and at least I'm smart enough to realize that. *winks*

Tom
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    bp44vyhlg9o9.jpg

The Samsung rivals the Bosch eh, I will have to remember that once the Whirlpool gives out. The wife wants a Bosch one, but anyways your man card is still valid.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Why didn't you eat the soap packet like everyone else does? Weirdo!

That's for clothes, not dishes. What are you new?

I guess you're TidePod challenge champion?? :D
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,628
    ....all Viking appliances.

076xdlo1sen7.jpg

• verb
    Viking64 wrote: »
    ....all Viking appliances.

076xdlo1sen7.jpg

Nothing but the best for the Mrs.! :smile:
  • Viking64
    Nothing but the best for the Mrs.! :smile:

The best? Careful what you wish for. I have your address. :o:p
  • Viking64
    So how in the hell did she end up settling for you? :p

0677cva410t3.jpg