Need suggestions

tonybtonyb Posts: 28,904
Portable headphones for a cell phone. Not earbuds. Wife has been working out like a demon but earbuds don't seem to stay in well. What is more a headphone style that would work with her cell phone. I'm not up on the headphone thing these days, especially for portable devices. Give me a few suggestions under 100 bucks. Appreciate it guys.
HT SYSTEM-
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony BRP
Tad bookies
Polk 500 surrounds
Polk s35 center
SVS SB-2000
Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
B&k 1403 amp
Cary xciter dac
Cullen modded Sonos
ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Comments

• nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 7,879
    Sennheiser does have nice light on and over ear models that would fit the bill Tony. Sound quality will be great with a phone as they are rather efficient. Here's a bit of advice thrown back to you, get out there and listen!
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
  • DabutcherDabutcher Posts: 1,513
    Polk and others have ear buds that have a hook that loops over the ear to keep them in place. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Mitsubishi rear projection 73, PS4, PSW505 , Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4, RTi12, FXiA6, CSiA6, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05

“Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 1,790
    Go bluetooth. Working out with corded headphones is a pain.

I use these: https://amazon.com/Headphones-TaoTronics-TT-BH07-Waterproof-Cancelling/dp/B06ZYX6Y1T/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513615446&sr=8-1&keywords=taotronics+earbuds

I sweat like a **** & they stay put.
  • machonemachone Posts: 930
    I would also check out Koss.
    Mojo Audio Joule v5>>Quantum Byte w/JRiver 21 and Fidelizer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Marantz SA 8005>> Equinox 7>>
    ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature >>Equinox 7>>
    Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts PA-6 Elite Mod) >>Belden 5000 10 ga cables>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modified)...SDA-1A (Fully Modified with Dimensional Tweeter Delete)
    1KVA Dreadnought
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 28,904
    Question....with Bluetooth buds, can you use more than one Bluetooth device with your phone at the same time ? I believe she already has a fitbit connected.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony BRP
    Tad bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,490
    Yes
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
    tonyb wrote: »
    Question....with Bluetooth buds, can you use more than one Bluetooth device with your phone at the same time ? I believe she already has a fitbit connected.

Me preference, go wired...cause you can shove more into sound quality than features...and batteries.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 4,017
    My old koss porta pros atill rock for the money but, for working out i am gonna agree with the blutooth idea. Sony also makes some nice sounding heassets. Also check on massdroo sometimes for good deals.
    Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200
    USB helpers: w4s Recovery

HT: Elite SC27, Full Polk RTI setup.

• rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,165
    My wife has really small ear canals and has tried a bunch of different buds. I just bought her these and so far she likes them. Went running in the desert with them yesterday and they worked well:

https://www.amazon.com/Phaiser-BHS-730-Bluetooth-Headphones-Sweatproof/dp/B01GDITOEU
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Parasound HCA-1205A; Arcam rDac; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Def Tech Procenter 1000; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; Sony BDP-S390, FireTV gen 2

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine Mini, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, FireTV, Arcam rDac; Bryson BPD-1
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    My wife has really small ear canals and has tried a bunch of different buds.

Soo....then she can't hear you when you say "Honey, I bought a new amp." ? Hmmm....now the wheels are turning.........
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony BRP
    Tad bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,297
    My wife has really small ear canals and has tried a bunch of different buds.
    Those two clauses just seem so wrong somehow...

;)
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • hochpt21hochpt21 Posts: 4,994
    @tonyb

Run don’t walk situation here...

Polk Ultrafit 3000

Amazon has the white version right now for $17 shipped Prime.

I’ve had a pair for running going on 3+ years and love them.

They come with multiple size earbuds. They also have the over-ear loop to keep them more secure.

I will admit they will come out of the ear canal especially when sweaty, but they stay on because of the loop, and it’s just a gentle push to get them back in the ear.

I also like sometimes leaving them out of the ear canal if I want to be aware of my surroundings but still hear the music.

I think I paid $60 for my pair originally. I just ordered 2 pairs in white and there were 3 pairs left. The black color was listed at $80. For $17...must be a liquidation situation.
    Preamplifier - Dared SL-2000A
    Amplifier - McCormack DNA 0.5 Deluxe
    Speakers - GoldenEar Triton 2
    Man Cave
    Turntable - 1) Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado Gold; 2) Sony PS LX410/Grado Green
    Phono Stage - PS Audio GCPH
    CD - Marantz DV4001
    Passive Pre - Luminous Audio Axiom II
    Amplifier - Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers - SDA 2A (x-overs etc...); Epos Epic 2; Polk Audio Monitor 70 (my first)
    I’m sure there are better options out there, but you can get some jbl e30 synchros headphones, they were like 80 dollars but the new wireless version came out and all the marshalls and Ross stores around here are filled with them for around $30. They aren’t the most efficient but on my iPad 3 volume 2 dots from full is unbearable. Also, I know this thread is a month old but I thought I would give my 2 cents.
    2 channel
    Speakers: Polk LSi25s, Mission 770 Freedoms, Infinify Crescendo CS-3007s
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-v665
    Amplifier: Crown XLi800
    CD/DVD player: Sony DVP-NS700P
    Subwoofers: Velodyne CHT-10, right built in LSi sub
    Random center channel that just happens to be where it is: Boston Acoustics CRC
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research

Pc gaming setup
    Headphones: JBL Synchros e30
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-v940 Headphone output
    PC: Lenovo g50
    Cables: all generic stuff lol

Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL j50, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale)
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
    sure it has a flat response, and sure it has a lot of detail, and yes, it has good and clear lows. But is it enjoyable to listen to? Does it make you grin ear to ear? That’s what really matters.
    Seen somewhere on AudioKarma (I think)
  • verbverb Posts: 2,360
    @tonyb whatever you decide. Since you’re a well respected tube aficionado here is a nice portable pre for momma:
    http://electronics-diy.com/schematics/1139/hybrid-tube-headphone-amplifier.jpg
    2CH: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    6jp38bz1mgmx.jpeg
    2CH: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Another option for the earbuds falling out :smiley:
    1towby9gf07i.jpg
  • kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 3,153
    verb wrote: »
    1towby9gf07i.jpg
    You can only do that after taking the Tide Pod Challenge

Long gone on this boys, she was satisfied with some Zeus Bluetooth things. Actually don't sound bad at all either.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony BRP
    Tad bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    edited February 7
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    verb wrote: »
    1towby9gf07i.jpg
    You can only do that after taking the Tide Pod Challenge

actually, they work great like that sans detergents or surfactants, but you gotta turn 'em up real loud. :)

xr2jwcno7e50.png
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)

• mrbigbluelightmrbigbluelight Posts: 7,439
    REPORTED for possible bear baiting :o
    MrBigBlueLight
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 659
    Good. Hope she enjoys them!
    2 channel
    Speakers: Polk LSi25s, Mission 770 Freedoms, Infinify Crescendo CS-3007s
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-v665
    Amplifier: Crown XLi800
    CD/DVD player: Sony DVP-NS700P
    Subwoofers: Velodyne CHT-10, right built in LSi sub
    Random center channel that just happens to be where it is: Boston Acoustics CRC
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research

Pc gaming setup
    Headphones: JBL Synchros e30
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-v940 Headphone output
    PC: Lenovo g50
    Cables: all generic stuff lol

Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL j50, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale)
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
    sure it has a flat response, and sure it has a lot of detail, and yes, it has good and clear lows. But is it enjoyable to listen to? Does it make you grin ear to ear? That’s what really matters.
    Seen somewhere on AudioKarma (I think)
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Good. Hope she enjoys them!

She's lost 35 lbs since her heart attack. Must say, she's lookin' hot bro. :) She started by just adjusting what she ate and when, and simply walking the dog everyday. That got her to lose about 15 lbs quickly. Then she decided to lose more and took up working out...that 4 lettered word we men call exercise.

She only works out about 3-4 days a week, but that helped drop the rest of the weight. Now she enjoys it and wants to move on to that Orange theory stuff. The headphones was for her music , claims it keeps her pumped up.

almost TOO pumped up though. She tells me she nearly took a nose dive off the elliptical because she was wanting to dance to the groove of the music. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony BRP
    Tad bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 12,883
    Glad to hear how well she is doing Tony!!!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Glad to hear how well she is doing Tony!!!

Thanks Cath....and while I'm super glad for her there is a downside.

Dang woman is making me look shabby. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony BRP
    Tad bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 12,883
    Well then, jump on her bandwagon and spruce yourself up right along with her!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

I agree...every man needs a good woman with a stick in her hand SHOVING him in the back!
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 4,956
    Like it's been said, "behind every good man is a good woman"

Except in Bill's case. :s :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.

Somehow....I knew you were going to say that. Remind me to never let you speak to my wife. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony BRP
    Tad bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac