Converting PCM FLAC To DSD!

I am in the process of converting all of my PCM FLAC format music files to single rate DSD (.dsf) format. I'm loving what I'm hearing.

More later.
"So hot it burns Mice!"~DK
"Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
"Knowledge, without understanding, is a path to failure."~DK
"Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK

Comments

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,608
    What dac are you using?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo BDP-95 Bluray, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

• steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 17,874
    Tease.
    Source: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD | Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2L | Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A | Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 | Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75 | AC Power: Panamax M5300-PM
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,946
    What dac are you using?

I'm guessing he's got some sort of computer program thats doing the heavy lifting... just not sure which one....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • DarqueKnightDarqueKnight Posts: 6,130
    I am using a dCS Debussy DAC.

I am not doing PCM to DSD conversion during playback (on-the-fly conversion). I am converting all my FLAC files to DSD format. I am using the format converter tool in JRiver Media Center.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    "Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK
  • headrottheadrott Posts: 5,071
    Awaiting the results Ray. DSD is an excellent format.

The Debussy DAC is a greta one! (It just needs some tubes in the output stage). :)
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
    I perceive that tubes will be a tough sell at dCS, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. :)

I am expecting delivery of a batch of 6 TB Western Digital Black hard drives (primary and backups) and Sabrent enclosures at the end of this week. The hardware required a low four figure investment. I already had JRiver ($50). I tried two other PCM-to-DSD conversion programs (one free, the other $250). The other two programs sounded very similar to each other and overall both did not sound as good as the original FLAC file. The JRiver conversions were like going from standard definition TV to hidef TV, most notably in the area of spatial properties.

Re-encoding a 44.1k/16 bit FLAC file in DSD64 format resulted in files that were 4X larger. My digital music collection currently takes up 62% of a 2 TB hard drive. The all-DSD collection will take of half of a 6 TB hard drive.

edited November 15
    Ray, are you going to compare a re-encoded FLAC to DSD to an originally encoded DSD file using the same master(ing)? That would be an interesting comparison.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
    Yes. I did a detailed comparison of three versions of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" produced/(re)mastered by Mark Wilder:

1. The 1997 Columbia/Legacy CD.
    2. The 1999 Columbia/Legacy SACD.
    3. The 2014 192k/24bit HiRez FLAC download.

A 44.1/16 FLAC file and a DSD64 file was made from 1 above.
    A DSD dsf file was made from 2 above.
    A DSD dsf file was made from 3 above.

In addition, 44.1/16 FLAC and DSD64 files were derived from the Mobile Fidelity CD of Kind of Blue and DSD64 files were derived from the Classic Records 4 LP pressing of Kind of Blue and the Mobile Fidelity 2 LP pressing of Kind of Blue. In all, eight digital versions of KoB will be compared.

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,608
    Will you be comparing the digital copies to the vinyl as well?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo BDP-95 Bluray, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

edited November 15
    Thanks Ray. I will check it out. (And e-mail dCS regarding a tube output stage for their DAC(s)). They may tell me to place my tubes in a not-so-pleasant "socket", however. :D
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

edited November 15
    Will you be comparing the digital copies to the vinyl as well?

Not this time around. My turntable is in storage after converting all my LPs to DSD. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

My turntable retirement project is discussed here:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174885/the-turntable-retirement-project/p1

Some people's predictions that I would "miss" my turntable have not proved to be true. It's been sitting in a closet since Feb of '17 and I haven't missed it and its associated inconveniences and aggravations since I sent it into exile. I'd sell it if it weren't for the possibility that I might need to re-record something or I might run across a record or two that I want to add to my collection.

5nugzger84lp.jpg
    After many years of faithful service, my turntable has been marginalized, exiled, and forgotten.

I did do a comparison of KoB's vinyl and digital versions here:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/170830/kind-of-blue-mobile-fidelity-45rpm-vinyl-cd-and-sacd-versions

In the future, when I am more dedicated to audio than I am now, I will down-convert my DSD vinyl rips to 384k/24 PCM, edit out the snap, crackle, and pops, then reconvert to pristine DSD. It's too bad that DSD can't be edited.
    Post edited by DarqueKnight on
  • gmcmangmcman Posts: 858
    Very interested in your findings Ray, thank you for doing this.