PS Audio Stellar Analog Cell amp versus...

2»

Comments

• jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 384
    Awww, you guys are swell offering to help me out o:) I might even pay the shipping as a 'thank you' <3
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,329
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Awww, you guys are swell offering to help me out o:) I might even pay the shipping as a 'thank you' <3

See...now your talkin'. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,411
    Man, the McCormack is one piece I wish I hadn't let go. I foresee another in my system at some point.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

edited July 19
    "Better to have loved and lost than never love at all."

Hey, I have a better idea for either you or Tony: trade a Peachtree hybrid preamp w/ DAC for a Joule preamp :D
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,411
    No habla ingles...
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Doh! I should have known you are one of these Texas hombres...
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 281
    So what’s the generalization you mentioned earlier in regard to the comparison?
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
    Amps - Marantz SR5003 , 2 x Linn Lk240’s , NAD 2400 THX, Denon 1804
    Speakers - POlk Lsim705’s ,Totem Acoustic Rainmaker's, Sonus Faber Piccolo, Definitive Technology SM350's , Sonos Play 5, 2 play 1's, Mirage Oasis MKii's
    Subwoofers - SVS SB16 Ultra, Jamo D4SUB
    Sources - Denon 2910, Sony CDP-CX355, JVC XM448BK, Sonos Connect,
    Vinyl - Project Debut III, Nagaoka MP-110, Cambridge Audio Solo, Okki Nokki RCM
    Cables - Zu Audio power cables, AudioQuest Type 4 speaker cables, Linn Interconnects
    jdjohn wrote: »
    "Better to have loved and lost than never love at all."

Hey, I have a better idea for either you or Tony: trade a Peachtree hybrid preamp w/ DAC for a Joule preamp :D

jhf71wj9cngy.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
  • halohalo Posts: 4,201
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Man, the McCormack is one piece I wish I hadn't let go. I foresee another in my system at some point.

That amp was modded by Bob Backert so the “typical” McCormack amp may sound a little different.
    joecoulson wrote: »
    So what’s the generalization you mentioned earlier in regard to the comparison?
    I wondered if anyone would call that out. I hesitate to make generalized comments, but with the usual disclaimers of IMO, YMMV, my ears/my system, etc., I will make an attempt.

Distortion: she is a fickled friend. Tubes add a nice effect, but solid state can clip. Tubes are known for adding more harmonics than transistors. I had never really noticed harmonics at all in SS...until listening to class D. IMO, this PS Audio power amp has no added harmonics, and in comparison, it has heightened my awareness of harmonics that are present in the McCormack amp. So in general, I think the difference between this very good class D amp and a class A/B amp is similar to the overall difference between transistor and tube amps. The difference is not dissimilar to that between analog and digital...if that helps.

Also, after another round of comparison, I can confirm a perceived gap (IMO) in the mid-range of the McCormack compared to the very full-range frequency response of the PS Audio Stellar amp. I commented in my earlier post that the PS Audio sounded more forward in soundstage, so perhaps the mid-range presence is where this comes through the most. I think this also contributes to the overall additional detail that the PS Audio extracts. Most of our audible perception comes from the mid-range, and I just get more of it with this class D amp.

Personal preference comes into play (as usual), and I cannot discount the effect of room acoustics. My listening space does not lend itself to perfect speaker positioning and acoustic treatments. It is a multi-functional space, and honestly, I like to have as much musical detail as possible pulsing and bouncing around, so clarity is key for me. Simply stated, this PS Audio class D amp does that. And perhaps most importantly, my wife (in a blind test) prefers the PS Audio :)
    Awesome explanation. Thank You.
    To me there is a character in tube setups that lends themselves nicely to the type of music they excel at: mid range instruments and voice. Being a fan of all music, when I would play NIN on tunes, it’s sounded borderline awful. But Yo Yo Ma sounded glorious. Whereas the SS setups I have had may not compare in the classical/contemporary arena, for a balanced listening experience I prefer them.
    That being said, I have a pair of Totem Rainmakers ready and waiting for my next tube amp setup ( when I can carve another space for electronics in this house )
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
    Speakers - POlk Lsim705’s ,Totem Acoustic Rainmaker's, Sonus Faber Piccolo, Definitive Technology SM350's , Sonos Play 5, 2 play 1's, Mirage Oasis MKii's
    Cables - Zu Audio power cables, AudioQuest Type 4 speaker cables, Linn Interconnects
    All this brings up another thought, I was watching one of Paul McGowan’s videos the other day and he was talking about Bi-wire/bi-amping. He mentioned using tubes on the high pass and SS on the lower in a Bi-amp setup. Has anyone tried that? I was thinking that there was no way those would be aligned in Sonics, but it seemed really cool to try.
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
    joecoulson wrote: »
    All this brings up another thought, I was watching one of Paul McGowan’s videos the other day and he was talking about Bi-wire/bi-amping. He mentioned using tubes on the high pass and SS on the lower in a Bi-amp setup. Has anyone tried that? I was thinking that there was no way those would be aligned in Sonics, but it seemed really cool to try.

Using 2 different amps can also create problems, like the difference in speed each has. Not a good idea in my book and you can probably get the same results with a tubed pre and SS amp, which many prefer.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    I have confirmation that The Music Room (tmraudio.com) handles PS Audio's trade-in gear. I sent PSA a B&K EX-442 power amp for trade-in on my Stellar Gain pre- and power amp combo deal. They gave me $840 credit for the B&K power amp, and now it is listed here for $399...a fair price http://tmraudio.com/components/power-amplifiers/b-k-ex-442-stereo-power-amplifier/
    akvxv8i8gy03.jpg
    I can positively confirm it is my old amp...I recognize the scars ;)

Be careful looking around on that site...you might spend some money! B)
    I have confirmation that The Music Room (tmraudio.com) handles PS Audio's trade-in gear. I sent PSA a B&K EX-442 power amp for trade-in on my Stellar Gain pre- and power amp combo deal. They gave me $840 credit for the B&K power amp, and now it is listed here for $399...a fair price http://tmraudio.com/components/power-amplifiers/b-k-ex-442-stereo-power-amplifier/
    akvxv8i8gy03.jpg
    I can positively confirm it is my old amp...I recognize the scars ;)

Be careful looking around on that site...you might spend some money! B)
2»