CD Player 3 Way Shootout: Krell Evo 525a vs McIntosh MS 750 vs Pioneer Elite D9 MkII

Options
nooshinjohn
nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
edited October 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
This is going to be a head to head to head comparison between three very different machines. Up first is the Krell Evolution 525a CD player, which I just acquired at an estate auction. It sold new in 2011for the princely sum of 12k!!! Initial impressions of the beast is it is exceptionally well built, and very easy to use right out of the box. While it does not play SACD's, that is not a concern for me as I have less that a dozen of them anyway.

The look of the Krell fits nicely with my stack of Pass Labs X1 Preamp and the XOno Phono Stage. I find the blue lighting of the display to be a bit too bright for my taste, but it is clear and easily readable from my listening position. This is one seriously impressive piece of gear. I have listened to some very good music on it so far today and it sounds amazing, but more on that later as I get into comparing these players...
qqacffj33knd.jpg
7f3s3qyrsssz.jpg
jcdha6iddxh2.jpg
072xad3qs4b4.jpg
6izeer81hhb9.jpg

Images and brief descriptions of the other competitors will follow, then I will get into the showdown between them.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    WOW !!!!!
    Very nice !!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    Very nice... I look forward to this review as I'm interested in upping my player also.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Next up, the Pioneer Elite PD-D9MkII SACD Player. This one has been in my rig for some time now. I also had the original J model of this player, so for the better part of a decade now, a version of this player has been a part of my system. It is elegantly built, with a distinctive front panel that is largely devoid of buttons and such. Almost all functions are performed through the remote.

It is also the lightest and most compact player in this little competition, but that doesn't mean it isn't built like a tank. Where the Krell and Mcintosh weigh in at 29lbs, and 28lbs respectively, the Pioneer comes in at 25lbs. It is also smaller in every physical dimension. It is very well built. I wish it came in the brushed aluminum finish the Krell comes in, as from an appearance standpoint, it does not look as sleek in my stack as the Krell does...wxbah2nd6h5o.jpg
    ga31k2rdax4e.jpg
    0y6wv57yadg9.jpg
    emiixkrqjovl.jpg
    hv2c9dxa57nk.jpg
    uyhqcpr8axw8.jpg

Initial thoughts on the Mcintosh to come...

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Love the D9 and wish I had a way to make one happen in my 2 channel rig.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Love the D9 and wish I had a way to make one happen in my 2 channel rig.
    I haven't seen one for sale in a very long time. Those that have them never give them up. Two of the three players will be sold after the comparison is done.

• smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    That Krell looks gorgeous, but, why oh why would you even consider one WITHOUT SACD? Ha, ha, just kidding as I have "zero" SACD's in my stash.

Looking forward to reading about your shootout!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Sorry about the long delay in getting this post up. Next, the McIntosh MS750 Music Server. This really is a nice piece of gear, and ahead of its time when it came out. The construction is first rate, very well laid out solidly built. The McIntosh glass face is beautiful to look at and the legendary blue-green glow is soothing on the eye when listening in the dark.

One of the most appealing features of this peice of gear to me is that it can store 750MB of music on an internal hard drive, as well as function as a CD player. For this rest, is chose to listen in both modes, but more on that later...hvgwxyfm8q48.jpg
    xyvhxim855tu.jpg
    fo6b9ewl6o94.jpg
    lj5d1xh99p7z.jpg
    7rqiio2bdb76.jpg
    f8eknrlqjm2h.jpg

• nooshinjohn
    edited October 2017
    Options
    For this test, I set the volume level on the Pass Labs X1 at 10 and played the same cd on all three players at the same time, with the McIntosh being played from the hard drive. I checked the volume levels by ear and found all three players to sound pretty close volume wise. They were then left on overnight and not used until the following day.

I chose three CD's for this comparison, among those I have multiple copies. The first cd listened to as Ray Charles "Genius Loves Company", released by Monster Music. All three players sounded superb, and each had strengths and weaknesses.
    The Krell was absolutely crisp and resolute in its task, delivering a clean, deep and entirely believable soundstage.

The McIntosh and the Pioneer were not to be outdone in that regard, keeping pace equally with the Krell. Musical instruments were precisely located within the soundstage and life sized in presentation. As I toggled between sources, I began to close my eyes as I listened. Subtle differences began to emerge.

Next up was The Eagles, "Hell Freezes Over". I focused on a couple specific tracks on this disc, the first being the superb rendition of Hotel California. It was here that I began to notice some differences between the Krell and the other players. While the music sounded virtually identical between the Pioneer and the Mac, vocals sounded a bit thin on the Krell. It was subtle, but vocals did not seem to have the same presence as with the other two players.

Linda Ronstadt's "Heart Like a Wheel"... here, the Krell showed its weakness once again when it comes to vocals, as Ronstadt seemed to loose some weight as I listened, her vocals shrinking considerably as I switched sources. I was surprised by how the music itself was seemingly not affected by this, only voices....

As my auditioning continued, I was really impressed by the McIntosh and its hard drive. I have never given much thought to using a computer as a source, and as a parting shot to my listening, I burned a couple discs from my session to my computer for the very first time, comparing the computer copies to the Mac. I was shocked to find that the copies made were indistinguishable to my ears from those stored on the Mac, or the cd being played on the Pioneer.

More to come..
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    The Krell, for all it offers, simply did not measure up to the Pioneer in the listening that I did. While I found it to be engaging and dynamic for instrumental music, it seemed to reduce vocalists to two demensions rather than providing a sense of presence the other two players did. It has been said that Krell is unforgivingly transparent and true to the material, and that the Evolution series performs best when paired with other components of their line.

The Krell is no slouch, but for my rig it could not compete with either the McIntosh or the Pioneer. I found the McIntosh and Pioneer to be almost note for note matched in performance, so close in fact, that I cannot say one beats the other in any way. While the D9MkII might be seen to occupy the bottom of the ladder in terms of this test, it was not a cheap player(1500.00 when new), it is very well built.

The McIntosh, however, is also showing some age when it comes to the server side of its performance. It is slow to respond to commands, and can take a significant amount of time to be useful after loading music to it. Further, and to my dismay, this is one of the only products McIntosh has made that they no longer support, and its ability to access data from the internet has permanently been shut down due to there being no servers for it to connect to.

For those reasons, the Pioneer is the winner here. If is a truly great player that holds its own quite well, and still gives listening pleasure after all this time. When the law of diminishing returns is applied to audio, the Pioneer Elite was money well spent. To replace it with something better would cost easily ten times the money to get only a very small improvement. For that, I will keep the Pioneer.

The bigger surprise here for me is the performance of my computer hard drive using JRiver to play music. From FLAC and APE files. It was indistinguishable from BOTH the Mac and the Pioneer, and will certainly become a new source of music for me. So impressive was the computer trial, I have transferred nearly 25,000 files to JRiver from the Mac and my hard drive already.

In this comparison, I set out to prove to myself just how good the Krell was. Instead I have been forced down a new path that I never was coming.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,688
    Options
    John, do you suspect that the vocal issues with the Krell might not be so noticeable on a more modest rig than yours? It sounds that there isn't much to justify it's $15,000 retail price, which is 10 times that of the Pioneer? As nice as the Mac sounds, it being a bit dated seems like it would make one wish for more modern features at it's $6000 price point. Lastly: (1) Do I see a puppy dog tail in the second Mac pic? (2) "Krell Karma" sure has a nice ring to it, don't you think? :p

Anywhich, I am considering buying an SACD player and your review was very helpful and interesting. Thank you.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    All of these players were purchased used by me, so retail pricing doesn't matter much here, and keep in mind the Mac was state of the art at launch. A lot has changed in the past 8 years since it was built.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,688
    Options
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to write this up!

Curious, was the Krell in use at the estate, or was it boxed up?

If it was NIB, could it just need more time to open up?
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    The Krell had been used, but looks new and has all the stuff that came with it new. Break-in should not have been a factor.

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    Inside secret, Pioneer build most of the drives years ago for most of the the higher end players.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I may end up selling all three players and going pure digital. I am looking at DAC and storage solutions now.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Inside secret, Pioneer build most of the drives years ago for most of the the higher end players.

Got proof?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    John, keep the Pioneer and save yourself a lot of headaches.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

One of the reasons I have kept my pioneer DV79 avi, my not be the best
    Built like a tank, takes a licken', and keeps on ticken'

produces great sound
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I can see some wholesale changes taking place in my rig, but before I make any radical moves, serious thought will go into those descisions.

• smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    Nice write up on these! I have read that about Krell equipment in general at times, dynamic and analytical but not much in the warm arena. As with all things audio, synergy...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Agreed....nice write up btw. Once again, price doesn't always reflect better sound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I may end up selling all three players and going pure digital. I am looking at DAC and storage solutions now.

That's the way to do it John.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703