Vintage Polk Audio Monitor Series 4 Speakers 4 82754

I just bought a pair of these on ebay for 50.00. did I get a good deal?

Comments

• NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,545
    Do they have the Zelda triforce tweeters? If so that's about fair.

Do they have the black dome Peerless tweeters with the home in the center? If so you got a pretty good deal, about half what they're worth.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,688
    Nightfall wrote: »

Do they have the black dome Peerless tweeters with the home in the center? If so you got a pretty good deal, about half what they're worth.

How are those triforce tweets? I have TONS of the M4s with those tweets going for $30-$40 in my area but never bit because I don't know about the tweeters.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,545

How are those triforce tweets? I have TONS of the M4s with those tweets going for $30-$40 in my area but never bit because I don't know about the tweeters.

That's just what I call them, it's not a common term for them.

exbzxukp1krgbtlcitmz.jpg

200px-ALBW_Triforce.png?version=539a162f78ea17014436f68b099d830b
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.
  • pkquatpkquat Posts: 601
    IMO The tweeters are ok. They are not as smooth and sweet as a peerless or RD0. They are detailed and I would say a bit crisp, but I never found them fatiguing. Less harsh than the SL2000, and IMO better at everything than the SL2500. They will rock if you push them, but there is no real bass.

The main issue with the early M4's is port whistle if they get really low bass. The whistle is largely mitigated with the grills on, but that adds just a little chuffing. With the grills off you can hear it, especially if you boost the bass some for a fuller range, which is what I did when I didn't have a sub. Mine have the distinct vintage polk sound in the midrange. 5jr's do a bit better on bass overall.

As I recall later versions had a larger shorter port, that chuffed instead of whistled.
  • Mike KozakMike Kozak Posts: 920
    they do have the triforce tweeters
    x8jp7hqxsycb.jpg
    Also bought a NAD 7220pe receiver to drive them. Excited to hook it all up!!
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 2,881
    I own the slightly bigger 4.5's nothing to get too excited about. Ok at low volume but that's about it.
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA 2B, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, 4, RTA 11TL, RTA 8TL, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7 EBONY, LSI7 CHERRY, LSIC, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,878
    They are near field monitors only, 80 sqft would be the most I'd expect them to fill. If you treat them as such, they should perform satisfactorily.
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,688

That's just what I call them, it's not a common term for them.

exbzxukp1krgbtlcitmz.jpg

200px-ALBW_Triforce.png?version=539a162f78ea17014436f68b099d830b

Love Zelda! I figured that was a home brewed name but I likes it. :)
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • kshaff93kshaff93 Posts: 1
    Anyone know where I can get a pair of tweeters for these?
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,515
    Taiwan.
  • verbverb Posts: 3,681
    kshaff93 wrote: »

Welcome to the forum!

On eBay right now. A pair for less than 20 bucks!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-POLK-AUDIO-MONITOR-SERIES-4-TWEETERS/382612387036?hash=item591579b4dc:g:xDsAAOSwxblbLcRh
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Cambridge CD transport, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,515
    verb wrote: »
    kshaff93 wrote: »

Welcome to the forum!

On eBay right now. A pair for less than 20 bucks!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-POLK-AUDIO-MONITOR-SERIES-4-TWEETERS/382612387036?hash=item591579b4dc:g:xDsAAOSwxblbLcRh

I dun tolded ya sew! :p

tc2o22r8fz2d.jpg
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,383
    exbzxukp1krgbtlcitmz.jpg

Those tweeters were ubiquitous for a while (quite a while).
    Here, e.g., is a pair of Cambridge Soundworks (CSW) Model Seventeens with the same (or extremely similar) tweeters.

20082332145_9068bb39de_b.jpgCSW17 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The earliest morph of the Polk Audio Monitor 4 used the same Peerless 1" silk dome tweeters as its contemporaries (Monitor 5, 7, 10). These were quite nice little loudspeakers (wish I had a pair, in fact).

vwxyhv12d2vp.png
    source: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/153961/polk-4s-with-peerless-tweeters
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,689
    edited November 8
    musicap51 wrote: »
    If interested in purchasing email me at
    Sorry dude, you can't sell here yet.

Forum sales rules: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/98162/before-you-post-read-this
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic