Total eclipse sound off

Options
Are you in the 70 mile wide path?

I think this is ironic
"The total eclipse will end near Charleston, South Carolina at 2:48 p.m. EDT. " = true

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,338
    Options
    I will be in the 90% path and for some reason, I could care less about witnessing it. It will get dark, then light again. Sarcastically said, "wow". *rolls eyes*

All it really means to me is more traffic on Monday morning and Monday night.

Tom - AKA Audio snob - AKA Scrooge #Whoop-diDo!
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    so 10% of you cares? :*
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    I am looking forward to experiencing with my students. The drastic temperature change should be cool. Even at 88% of totality, should be about a 10º F drop.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    Actually..I think it's pretty neat...celestial line ups do not happen that often..Cattle will go to shelter..Birds will go to roost...Frogs in the lakes and ponds will croak..Then the roosters will start crowing at the end...all at around 2:30 in the afternoon..
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I will be in the 90% path and for some reason, I could care less about witnessing it. It will get dark, then light again. Sarcastically said, "wow". *rolls eyes*

All it really means to me is more traffic on Monday morning and Monday night.

Tom - AKA Audio snob - AKA Scrooge #Whoop-diDo!

If that's "ALL" it means to you Mr. Audio Snob, perhaps you should recontemplate (is that a word?) the universe and our place, and importance, in it. Bet you can't even juggle yet you sneer at the magnitude of a total solar eclipse. You probably don't believe in Santa either and think the moon landing was fake...
  • treitz3
    Options
    Perhaps but not even 10% of me cares. I know it happens. It will be the only one in my life that happens but it goes from light, to dark and back. Big whoop. Seen that happen everyday since I can remember.

BTW, I know who Santa Claus is. So Does Mrs. Claus.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    We are located right in the "SweetSpot" our City's population is predicted to double for the event.

All accomodations are sold out, people have been renting out spare bedrooms in their homes, places in the back yards for people to pitch a tent. Motor Homes and pull type Campers are filling up Parking Lots around the area.

Kinda crazy, but this doesn't happen all that often.

• obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    Options
    I'll be driving into Columbia, SC(100%) in the morning.
    Traffic will suck way more than normal.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    Options
    Middle of the path here. Big crowds here already and lots more are supposed to come. It'll be cool to see but I wouldn't go out of my way.
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • kharp1
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

BTW, I know who Santa Claus is. So Does Mrs. Claus.

Tom

So, you and Mrs. Clause, huh?

• treitz3
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Depends on what Mrs. and Mr. Santa Clause are to you. I'm not gonna be the one who spoils it.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of this eclipse. I understand the magnitude. I am personally not blown back by one object blocking the path of light to another. That's small potatoes compared to black holes and mini black holes, nebula, galactic nuclei, superluminous supernovas, phasars, dark waves, galactic cannibalism and quasars that do get my attention. Especially the unimaginable power of a quasar. THAT'S impressive and THAT is what I can appreciate the sheer magnitude of.

The moon blocking the light from the sun? I equate that to watching paint dry. Just not interested in it.

BTW, I can't juggle and I know we were on the moon because a recent internet article I read, that included photos and was wonderfully written by Woodrow Wilson, proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that man was on the moon.

Tom
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Msabot1 wrote: »
    Actually..I think it's pretty neat...celestial line ups do not happen that often..Cattle will go to shelter..Birds will go to roost...Frogs in the lakes and ponds will croak..Then the roosters will start crowing at the end...all at around 2:30 in the afternoon..

Saw that when I was small and it was cool but now I am not at all interested. Like I said wake me up when the Death Star is coming
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    All I know is I'm going to get my kicks before the **** house goes up in flames.
    Alright?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Options
    Yawn
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    Options
    It's all about perspective. Since I work 7pm to 7:30am, a total solar eclipse in the middle of the night really doesn't happen. Kind of like the "moon landing" never really happened.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I am taking my daughter to view this. Have about a 45 minute drive to a friends place to view it, about a minute of totality. A bunch are coming and will be a good time.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    They claim 95% has 10,000 times more light than totality, so it will be like a cloud going over my house at 1:07 for a minute or two.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    Options
    The world is ending tomorrow... so sad, just like the time when.... eh pick one
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
    DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
    Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Y2K
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    Options
    :D
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
    DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
    Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I'm gonna try to take the at home quick tan route

Strip bucknekkid and stand in the back yard
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    A handy little infographic..

tihhnc5x5sa8.jpg
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    65% totality in Woodland Hills... likely won't do more than peek outside and come back in the house. I will watch it of the discovery channel however.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I will get a cholesterol blood test tomorrow and hope everyone else is watching it instead of being in the waiting room. I saw a total eclipse in 1970 in Va Beach. It was awesome. Waves of shadows cross the ground as it occurs. It goes dark, and becomes quiet. It is pretty cool. Not life changing or anything, but still neat. Then it is over.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    Options
    I'm in the 85% area. If I watch it I'll just wear my #3 torch glasses with my #11 helmet. That is a safe way to view it. #14 is recommended and a #3 + a #11 is equal to a #14 lens.

My helmet isn't auto changing. Some auto changing helmets require mods to keep them in dark tint mode btw.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    We're in the 60-70% range, and couldn't give a rat's rear end.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I will at least have to walk outside for 5 minutes.
    That's probably enough time to suck down a 6 pack and begin my piano/light show for the UFO invasion.

Won't my wife be pissed when she tries to go shoe shopping after work today and finds out the world has ended.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    I thought about buying a Mitsubishi Eclipse once.