LSiM 707 706c and 703

Options
Im and old polk customer had some monitor 10 and 12s back in the 70 and 80s switched to klipsch which are to harsh now putting an 7.1 system together with a pair of 707 706c and 4 703 for surrounds all paired up with 7 crown amps XTI 4002 for bi amp which are rated at 650 w a channel and onyko PR-RZ5100 pre amp any suggestions on subs iv been thinking of a pair of sv sound PB-16 ultra subs

Comments

• Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    I've got some SB-13 Ultras and have no complaints with them. I think they'd do fine with just about any system.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    I think a pair of PB-16 ultras would be just about as much as any HT system would need.

Nice system your putting together BTW.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    How big is the room? If the room isn't huge something smaller would work at less expense. I would recommend going with dual subwoofers whatever you pick.

I also very highly recommend getting sets of their isolation feet for their subwoofers:

https://www.svsound.com/products/soundpath-subwoofer-isolation-system
  • southernman
    Options
    room size 24 x22
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Options
    That's a pretty big room :) I'm curious how the crown amps pair up with nice speakers. I was just in the market for an amp and steered clear of them (for no reason other than unfounded bias) but it seems that a lot of people have had great success. I'm really happy with the Outlaw amp I picked up. I was worried it wouldn't be enough but it's PLENTY.

I'm also putting together a theater at the moment but I went with the previous Lsi line to save money and because those came out around the time I started falling in love with speakers so there's some nostalgia there.

I find it interesting how everyone recommends 2 subs now. IIRC, people used to be against two subs or would suggest, if you get two to stack them on top of each other. One giant sub seemed to be how most people went. Now 2 subs is the way to go. I can't say whether it sounds better or not as I've got a much smaller room and just one sub. SVS seems like a good choice, I like mine plenty. I'm glad I was able to get it used though. How high are your ceilings and do you have large openings to other areas? That's going to be a factor into how much sub you end up being happy with.
  • Airplay355
    Options
    Never mind, I just looked up the pb ultra. I can't imagine wanting more sub than that. Please post lots of pics when you're done. This sounds like it's going to be awesome :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    That's a pretty big room :) I'm curious how the crown amps pair up with nice speakers. I was just in the market for an amp and steered clear of them (for no reason other than unfounded bias) but it seems that a lot of people have had great success. I'm really happy with the Outlaw amp I picked up. I was worried it wouldn't be enough but it's PLENTY.

I'm also putting together a theater at the moment but I went with the previous Lsi line to save money and because those came out around the time I started falling in love with speakers so there's some nostalgia there.

I find it interesting how everyone recommends 2 subs now. IIRC, people used to be against two subs or would suggest, if you get two to stack them on top of each other. One giant sub seemed to be how most people went. Now 2 subs is the way to go. I can't say whether it sounds better or not as I've got a much smaller room and just one sub. SVS seems like a good choice, I like mine plenty. I'm glad I was able to get it used though. How high are your ceilings and do you have large openings to other areas? That's going to be a factor into how much sub you end up being happy with.

I don't think it is unfounded bias. HT sound is nowhere near as critical as 2 channel music and therefore does not require amplification with the finesse of a high quality home audio amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    Good stuff here from SVS regarding dual subwoofers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXVpy5jaNsk
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    HT sound is nowhere near as critical as 2 channel music and therefore does not require amplification with the finesse of a high quality home audio amp.

That's good signature material.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    HT sound is nowhere near as critical as 2 channel music and therefore does not require amplification with the finesse of a high quality home audio amp.

That's good signature material.

Thanks B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Airplay355
    Options
    Cool :) that is good advice!