Karma etiquette

Options
BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
In another thread, it was bought up that Karma threads that exclude some members aren't real Karma. The idea being a 'real' Karma includes everyone. We all have seen Karma threads that state participants must have more than 'X' number of posts, or some other criteria.

For example, I recently had a Karma that stated 'no cable deniers' can play. My thinking was since I was giving away good gear that was a tad expensive then I wanted to make sure it went to a good home.

Anyway, while I would do that again since it seems reasonable to me, I was wondering if there is any de facto protocol for a Karma. While I would never say only left handed white men taller than 6' 2" and over 67 can participate, it does seem fair to let the Karma owner have some control over the outcome.

Is that unreasonable?
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Nope. There was a list of people not eligible for John's Oppo karma, same for when I passed it on.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The person hosting the karma can run it anyway they like.

Agree
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I think that excluding people who would very likely not appreciate the gift given to them is completely acceptable.

Giving away a power cable, perfectly fine to exclude people who have made it clear that they don't believe cables make a difference.
    Giving an amp away? Would someone who thinks that all amps sound the same make valid use of the item?

Just makes no sense to me that people get all sandivaginitis when their own actions and opinions have negative repercussions. You made your bed, you should have to lay in it.

Karma means action, work or deed. It also refers to the spiritual principle of cause and effect where intent and actions of an individual (cause) influence the future of that individual (effect). Good intent and good deed contribute to good karma and future happiness, while bad intent and bad deed contribute to bad karma and future suffering.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Karma means action, work or deed. It also refers to the spiritual principle of cause and effect where intent and actions of an individual (cause) influence the future of that individual (effect). Good intent and good deed contribute to good karma and future happiness, while bad intent and bad deed contribute to bad karma and future suffering.

Exactly! I can see possibly excluding people who don't like the thing you are giving away (they really are unlikely to appreciate or want it anyway) without naming them specifically but to exclude certain individuals by name because you don't like them, even though never really did anything to you other than disagree on a freakin' forum is not only bad karma, it's pretty-immature. Sort of like the kid who brings a bunch of bubble gum to school and only hands it out to certain kids while denying it to the ones he doesn't like.

You know there are a lot of mean-spirited people on here who really need to lighten-up. Some of you guys act like Vito Corleon if someone says something you don't agree with and then start hurling the insults.

I might like to stir the pot some but in the end I don't hate anyone on here. If you guys hate me for whatever reason that's all on you (and that is also bad karma).
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Sounds like a personal problem.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gatecrasher
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Sounds like a personal problem.

You have a genius not understood by mere mortals.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Exactly! I can see possibly excluding people who don't like the thing you are giving away (they really are unlikely to appreciate or want it anyway) without naming them specifically but to exclude certain individuals by name because you don't like them, even though never really did anything to you other than disagree on a freakin' forum is not only bad karma, it's pretty-immature. Sort of like the kid who brings a bunch of bubble gum to school and only hands it out to certain kids while denying it to the ones he doesn't like.

You know there are a lot of mean-spirited people on here who really need to lighten-up. Some of you guys act like Vito Corleon if someone says something you don't agree with and then start hurling the insults.

I might like to stir the pot some but in the end I don't hate anyone on here. If you guys hate me for whatever reason that's all on you (and that is also bad karma).

I agree things sometimes get childish, but all in all the culture seems to work.

Don't worry. Be happy.
    b73sy8z0v0hc.jpg

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Wait, what was the question?
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Your karma, your rules. You are never going to make everybody happy so the next time you do another really great karma exclude everyone whos handle is not afterburnt.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,915
    Options
    I just can't believe Karma has become an issue on here, I get a good cable debate but a Karma debate? There are certain things that are given away in Karma that should have rules because we would like to see it stay in the family so to speak, I don't see an issue with that, and at the end of the day it's up to the owner who it goes to..
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    Maybe we should change the name from "Karma" to "I want to give this away to who I deem worthy."

Seems to me the owner of the item can make the rule.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Gatecrasher
    edited May 2017
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    Maybe we should change the name from "Karma" to "I want to give this away to who I deem worthy."

Seems to me the owner of the item can make the rule.

That's probably what it should be called. Either that or "Bad Karma" because they aren't doing it for the right reasons to be good karma (the kind most people probably prefer).

Really if someone isn't going to include everyone they should just PM the people they want to give the stuff to and not single out those they have a vendetta against using the forum to make the discrimination a public exhibition of their immaturity.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If you are on my ignore list, no soup for you. Don't like that rule then you can go do something to yourself that ends with the letter "K".

When I first karma'd off my Oppo DVD player, I asked that if it were ever available, the person would ensure that the new recipient was not on my bozo list. The question I have is why would I, being of sound mind and body, give something away to anyone that I want nothing whatsoever to do with?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • littlewoodboats
    Options

Some people at this forum make prejudicial comments about brands they do not like. This recently happened with Outlaw Audio's new receiver RR2160. One comment, "Jake of all trades, master of none."

I like Outlaw Audio and found the "Jack of all trades, master of none" comment to be reasonable. To some a reciever might be a great compromise that will fit their budget, needs, and space but it is still a compromise piece.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Anybody that thread craps a Karma or For Sale thread has no etiquette to begin with and should be shunned, abandoned after 50 lashes with a wet noodle.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Anybody that thread craps a Karma or For Sale thread has no etiquette to begin with and should be shunned, abandoned after 50 lashes with a wet noodle.

Banning would be my choice.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I'm partial to the wet noodles, lol

Whats all the hoopla about anyway ? Everyone knows Karma's, or even for sale items are dictated by the seller or Karma giver....in any fashion they see fit. So....what's the big deal ? Did I miss something here ? Someone not fit the criteria for somethin' ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Gatecrasher
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If you are on my ignore list, no soup for you. Don't like that rule then you can go do something to yourself that ends with the letter "K".

When I first karma'd off my Oppo DVD player, I asked that if it were ever available, the person would ensure that the new recipient was not on my bozo list. The question I have is why would I, being of sound mind and body, give something away to anyone that I want nothing whatsoever to do with?

That's a sad way to go through life and is definitely bad Karma.

So anyone who disagrees with you or any of your "buddies" on here is automatically on your "bozo list"?

That's lame. I feel sorry for you.
    gudnoyez wrote: »

Banning would be my choice.

Then you should ask Ken to ban you if you feel that strongly about it. Maybe just quit and do us all a favor?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Can i get an AMEN brother....
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    AMEN!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• littlewoodboats
    Options
    I will second that AMEN
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,327
    Options
    ?..Some of you guys act like Vito Corleon if someone says something you don't agree with and then start hurling the insults...

Allow me to introduce you to yourself - my first interaction with you was you telling me to sell my gear because I don't enjoy The Rolling Stones. That thread told me everything I need to know about you (remember the knee-pad comment?).

The fact that you can act the way you do, and then post the statement above... well, sometimes there just aren't words.

You would not be considered for any karma I offer, because you are condescending, disrespectful, and you thrive on being contrary.

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    edited May 2017
    Options

You really need to go to an anger management class and get rid of your putrid point of view. Please go to the HR dept. at your work and see if they offer psychological counseling as part of your health

Please check with your work's HR dept and sign up for an anger management class ASAP.

DuB o:)

And yet again in your holier than thou passive aggressive attitude. I'm so glad you are such a perfect godly individual to keep us all straight here. By god what would we of ever done had you not graced the lovely Polk Audio forum. We are now so much better members because of your graciousness.

Oh yea about forgot

Best regards and best wishes

IED2

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    A clarification of things... the only ones complaining about not being included for Karmas are the ones on everybody's ignore list for acting like trolls. Sounds EXACTLY like karma to me.