Suped-Up RTi-A7s

Options
mdale
mdale Posts: 38
Hi. What are your thoughts/suggestions about upgrading RTi-A7s? Could replacing the crossover circuits be a good move? They look great, and I have the matching center and surrounds. I surely won't get my money back on a sell or trade. Retrofitting them could be cost-effective and yield good results. Thank you for your responses.
Yamaha RX-V667 Receiver, Emotiva XPA200 Amp, Polk RTi-A7 Mains, Polk CSi-A6 Center, Polk FXi-A6 Surrounds, SVS SB2000 Subwoofers, Furman ELITE-15PFi Power Conditioner

Comments

• Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    Search is your friend... this should help you get started.
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/139063/review-of-the-modded-by-vr3-rti-a7
    Good luck!
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • mdale
    Options
    Hi Legender. Thank you for the link! A while ago, I read about VR3 mods, saw the website, and read the testimonials; but they're not inexpensive. Does this forum think it a wise approach?
    Yamaha RX-V667 Receiver, Emotiva XPA200 Amp, Polk RTi-A7 Mains, Polk CSi-A6 Center, Polk FXi-A6 Surrounds, SVS SB2000 Subwoofers, Furman ELITE-15PFi Power Conditioner
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The improvements from my crossover upgrades were not subtle.

RTiA7's
    c7meiribrdgp.jpg
    gcx40dhmxd9h.jpg

CSiA6
    u2ha9idbp12y.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mdale
    Options
    F1Nut: These look fantastic. Did you build these yourself? Would you do it again? And if you have the matching surrounds, did you upgrade them as well?
  • F1nut
    Options
    Thank you.
    Yes.
    For myself, yes.
    Yes and yes.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mdale
    Options
    Inspirational! Thanks for sharing. I'm now on a mission to find a parts list...
  • mdale
    Options
    By the way, did you keep the original drivers?
  • F1nut
    Options
    mdale wrote: »
    By the way, did you keep the original drivers?

Yes, there's no reason to replace them.

President of Club Polk

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited May 2017
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The improvements from my crossover upgrades were not subtle.
    Listen to this or any other person that says or does the above. Even a simple but cheap internal rewire Is well worth it.

You could bi-amp them AND do a mid/tweet XO upgrade or tri-amp them.

Tony

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • mdale
    Options
    Hi Tony. Is it possible to simply replace the original discreet components with the same components of the same value but of higher quality?
  • gp4jesus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    YES! See Jesse's (F1) "Fun w/RTi A series speakers or crossovers." My personal favorite XO component upgrade application.

Get some Cardas Quad Eutectic solder before you start. You won't regret it.

Post edited by gp4jesus on
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • mdale
    Options
    Tony, thank you for the helpful advice. I'm looking forward into delving into this project. I will look into the website as you suggest. Thanks, again!
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Here's a link to Jesse's A7 & A6 XO awesome upgrade thread.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/159998/rtia7-and-csia6-crossover-upgrades-a-slightly-different-approach/www.crgproducts.com

He posted pics above from that thread. Some may prefer different make and/or model components but none would argue w/the attention to detail!

Tony
  • F1nut
    Options
    Thank you Tony. I dare say your tri-amp work took it to another level or three.

President of Club Polk