TIDAL Premium or HiFi and account info

Looking to subscribe to Tidal and would be streaming to my AVR from tablet or phone via Airplay. I am assuming with this set up there will be no gain in the premium service due to Airplay limitations?

There is a firmware upgrade coming out this year for my AVR that will enable TIDAL, I would expect that will be better?

Also, does TIDAL limit the number of devices associated to an account?

Thanks,
RB

Comments

• NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,841
    AURALiC Aries Mini is all you need to know. B)
  • rburgess714rburgess714 Posts: 89
    Nightfall wrote: »
    AURALiC Aries Mini is all you need to know. B)

Yeah, I exchanged some email with Skip about that but for now want to settle into my rig. I have purchased all new gear since November and want to slow my roll a bit. Definitely interesting though.
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 11,902
    https://www.google.com/search?q=AURALiC+Aries+Mini&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=auralic+aries+mini+vs+bluesound+node+2

Makes for some good reading/researching on this subject. Not sure about the devices used though. I would imagine unlimited.

Tom
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 3,413
    Easiest and cheapest way to do what you want is to get a chromecast audio for $35. You can cast to the chromecast, and that yields a little better sound quality than airplay.

Another unorthodox option is to get a fire stick and download Logitech squeeze server onto you computer. There is a wiki explaining how to get tidal onto the squeeze server. There is a squeeze app for the fire devices. This will also yield a little better sound quality than airplay.
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,166
    I second the chromecast for dipping your toes into streaming. You can even run an optical cable to the dac in your receiver and possibly yield better quality sound. I used a chromecast fed to benchmark dac 2 for a long time and was quite happy with the sound quality.
  • andrew82andrew82 Posts: 134
    edited May 13
    +1 for Chromecast Audio via Optical to receiver.
    Thanks for the suggestions will read up on chrome cast.
    Just buy it and try it. 35 bucks
    Oh that's not the issue, I am trying to understand how that would be better than using the airplay mode on my AVR and streaming from my phone. I just subscribed to Tidal today and it doesn't sound bad, I just want better and I think you are telling me it would be?
    Tidal hifi, with chromecast will sound better than "doesn't sound bad". But depends on how revealing your gear is. Some systems will not benefit from the extra resolution. The only way
    to truely understand is to try it in your own home with your own gear. 35 bucks for the chromecast, and a month free trial of hifi is the only way to know. Try the dac in your receiver of the dac in the chromecast (which isn't too bad).

My only experience with airplay was constant drop outs and the quality wasn't great. But I'm not the resident expert on airplay. Others might have more experience on the subject.
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 3,631
    With chromecast load up BubbleUPnp for the app. Matches well.
    Forgot to say. The chromecast via optical and BubbleUPnp on a droid cell to a dac or even the input on your receiver punches its weight way above what you paid for it. Like shocking above.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 12,901
    I still don't see much improvement gained with that because you are still going through the same chain in the receiver. I think your current move is to stand still for a while. However, it is only $35.
    Thanks all. I will say I do like the content Tidal provides. Cool app.
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 1,066
    I'm still waiting on this announcement from Skip about the Aurelic line and Android...
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 12,901
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting on this announcement from Skip about the Aurelic line and Android...

Right. Got busy. Coming up. It's not android but something more flexible.
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,012
    DSkip wrote: »
    kharp1 wrote: »

Right. Got busy. Coming up. It's not android but something more flexible.

What's more flexible than Linux?!
    So I have had Tidal for a couple of weeks streaming via Chromecast with an optical cable to my AVR. I am suprised but it does sound better than streaming via Airplay. I think this will do until Yamaha releases the firmware upgrade to support Tidal or I get the Auralic Mini. Thanks for the suggestions.
    I am glad you gave it a shot. That chromecast via optical out again plays way way way above its price point.
    I am not sure if the mini has an optical out? I thought just usb and coax @DSkip ??

One advantage the Auralic mini does have is the ability to put a hard drive right into the unit.
    Definitively a bargain.
    Yes, ability to add onboard hard drive is a big plus .